Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door (wing) mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts
Default Door (wing) mirrors

Hi all,
Just a question about which mirrors for my series 2. The one pictured is on the drivers side and the passenger side is the normal smaller rectangular one which appears to be the norm. My question is;
Is the one pictured...an upgrade
a normal series 2
or a series 3
Research has shown various shapes on all three series...?

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

One way to know for sure is to see how well it fits and if it wiggles when you try to move it.

My door mirrors are from a Series 3, the curves of which are of smaller radius, which means the mirrors don't seat properly on my door and 'jiggle' a bit as I go down the road no matter how tight I make them. It's quite annoying sometimes.
(';')

Old 04-02-2015, 10:43 PM

Interesting Lnr as the one pictured is firm but the passenger one which seems older and original has the wiggles. Hard to find info on which is for which on the series 2......every time I look at this model it either has different styles or just one mirror.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 10,295 Likes on 6,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Hi all,
Just a question about which mirrors for my series 2. The one pictured is on the drivers side and the passenger side is the normal smaller rectangular one which appears to be the norm. My question is;
Is the one pictured...an upgrade
a normal series 2
or a series 3
Research has shown various shapes on all three series...?
The S2 in OZ got what you have in the snap, on the Drivers door only. The real LATE S2, MAY have got the rectangular S3 style, as a cross over supply happened, but I have seen very few of them down here.

A lot of us have sourced another RH mirror assembly, rotated the head on the pedastal, and fitted it to the LH side. The rework of the door trim is best left to ones who know what they are doing (my opinion here).

The LH mirror is not in the exact same placement as the RH, due to the 1/4 window frame, so 2 people will be needed to get it in the right place. From memory (HAHAHA) it is slighter forward than the RH mirror??.

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 PM

Thanks grant that makes sense...I'll sort another one and use it for the passenger side as the one I have in the photo works fine and I don't need the adjustment feature for the passenger side. It's interesting I would find it difficult to drive with only one mirror today........"the things we did without in the past!"

Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Daf11e
It's interesting I would find it difficult to drive with only one mirror today........"the things we did without in the past!"
I don't really notice it around town, being a motorcyclist I shoulder check every move left or right when in town so from habbit I do it in cars as well. But on the highway you know you are well clear on a bike so the last two days I have been looking for that left mirror constantly driving the XJ6 in overtaking lanes.

I am condidering trying to source a matching LH mirror from the US. But the size of the series 1 mirror is so small you have to move your head around to get a good view even from the right mirror.

Door (wing) mirrors-dsc_1677.jpg

Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My 1976 coupe never had a passenger side mirror. When I had it painted, my painter friend noticed that the standard Jaguar mirror looked just like an AMC Hornet mirror, he got a Hornet mirror and sure enough, they were a match. He reversed the Hornet mirror and put some nutserts in the passenger door to mount the mirror. It looks like it was always there.

Daf11e (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Use Jack Nuts

Use Jack Nuts to hold them on.. drill hole, push in unit and tighten - it expands underneath and make a tight connection...

I have XKE mirrors on my '71 XJ... have to use a wrench to change the adjustment but they look better than the larger SII/SIII mirrors.
It was hard to find a RH mirror in the USA.

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-my-71-jag-mirror.jpg  
Daf11e (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Interesting:

1. The glass just fell out of the passenger side mirror of my daughter's 2001 VW Passat wagon. I went on line shopping and found a source. Glass only or the entire pedastal.I chatted with the glass shop owner. Poor mastic by VW, rather a commo0n thing!!! We talked Jaguar a bit. he is familiar with just how to change front and rear screens in them. Small world.

2. The passenger side mirror on my Jeep is cracked but somewhat functional. We spoke briefly about that. My idea of just gluing the new over the old was described as functional, and OK for a Jeep, but certainly not for a Jaguar!!!

3. There was a day that passenger side or driver side mirrors had no remote adjustment. A two person job. At times, fun with my dear departed. Why was the passenger mirror adjustment Ok for me, but not her?

4. My old 57 Ford 1/2 ton had the big "West Coast mirrors. Kinda like elephant ears.
Not good for fuel mileage, but, a large field to look in.

5. My son gave me one of those huge multi pane mirrors that provided a huge field of view to the rear. Just confusing, too much to process quickly. Only a short tour in my IHC Scout II.

6. My first car, a 23 T had a round mirror on the driver w/s post. Useless appendage to teen me! When, it got a 27 roaster body, the w/s got chopped and the mirror never put on. Who cares what is behind? Or just turn head and look
Well, my arthritic neck doesn't allow much f that, so, mirrors are a big thing now.

7. I was never great at backing in a straight line. But, driveway limitations make it a good thing to park by backing in and align with the edge as close as possible. I have a post with a solar lamp at the desired point for the Jeep's right rear corner to end up at. Done by mirror view.

8. Elinor: How about cutting a thick gasket to firm up Nix's mirrors. I'd get a head ache from looking a wiggly image!!

Jaguar work today, I think. Front "lawn" weed whacking done. But, the durn Rye is coming back. And Guv Jerry says avast with lawns!! the drought thing. Serious, no9 question. Not good for those that earn their bones by "mow and blow"!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Daf11e (04-03-2015), LnrB (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default LH mirror found

Looks like this guy might have what you are looking for.

1984 Jaguar XJ6 Sedan Auto Wrecking FOR Parts AND Dismantling Only in Loganlea, QLD | eBay

Door (wing) mirrors-%24_57-12-.jpg

Daf11e (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Close but not the same........thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

The mirror you have is the standard drivers side for that model...i have the same, i didn't have a passenger side mirror so priced one in Australia...price is ridiculous so i bought a standard drivers side left-hand -drive mirror assembly complete with control from the USA for $50....Fitting of the mirror assembly is easy, the door plate should have the markings on the inner side & the door skin has the markings for the hand control, can send you pics or meet up in Sydney (I'm in Windsor) so you can see the set up (any excuse for a drive).......still have USA contact if you want one......Tom

Last edited by xjtom; 04-04-2015 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjtom:
Daf11e (04-04-2015), o1xjr (04-07-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 04:59 PM

Thanks Tom sent PM.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

why not upgrade to Series 3 XJ-6 electric mirrors?

I did it to my '65 S type and the comfort and control was increased 100%.

the XJ-6 electric mirrors are very simple. You can pull all the needed parts and wiring from a donor car and transplant them to your Series 2.

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-front-side-view-s-type.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-mirror-switch-s-type.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-02-mirrors-switch-set.jpg  
Daf11e (04-05-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:39 AM

Just rec'vd a mirror from David Boger (thnx xjtom) $20 US plus postage and wanted to know if it was a straight forward fit. Do I just remove door trim and fit with hole putt in door card...or should I remove the drivers door trim and copy that....does the cable need tieing or just left hanging.
Any assistance appreciated.

davidboger (04-23-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Daf,
i'ts not too complicated but easier to explain over the phone rather than type it out here, if you still have my # you can call evenings after 6.30pm, if not - send me a private message & i'll give you my # again........tom

Daf11e (04-21-2015)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 AM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts
Default BL Door Mirror mounting instructions?

Saw this old post and I note that these non electric remote mirrors with the toggle seem to have been standard British Leyland issue across several of their brands as well as for several other makes.
The USA spec Triumph Stag had these as Factory issue on the drivers (LH) door as standard spec around the same time as they were fitted on the XJ6 early c1970's.
A USA Triumph Stag of course is a LH drive vehicle and I would say you could have orderd one for the passanger RH door also if you wanted to in the USA at the time; perhaps the same option if you had bought an XJ6 in the USA at the time. No such choice here in Australia as Leyland Australia made us do with the ordinary fixed mirrors for the Stags.
I noticed the Daimler Double-Six Vanden Plas Series 1 came out standard with these mirrors - one on each door.
I would love to know any mounting instructions as I would think I could adapt a pair I have secured to install on my Stag.
I have filled in the old holes on the drivers door where the old fixed mirror sat; they have different mounting position.
I am missing the black plastic gasket as well on one of the mirrors as well and unfortunately seems hard to find..

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-mirrorusa.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-mirrorusatoggle.jpg  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

This thread interested me because only last week I added a RH mirror obtained from SMG Barrett for $200.00.

I wasn't sure about correct location, but in the end decided for symmetry and mounted it with exactly the same positioning of LH mirror. It looks great and functions well and I'm very happy with it.

I had to make a few modifications to Gasket to get it to sit with the same angle as LH side. To start with, the Gasket included with mirror was for a LH side mirror and thus upside down. The difference was small enough that I decided to go ahead and mount it anyway. I used a dremmel tool to cut a groove in the top edge so the mirror would sit down in the gasket to get the correct angle needed to match LH side.

I was surprised after removing the door card that there were no pre drilled holes for the adjustment cable. I had to cut hole with Dremmel wheel to adapt.

Cutting the door card trim was a little scary but it came out good.

I originally tried using sheet metal type screws to mount but decided to put in bolts with nuts on the back side for better stability.

Ideally It would have been nice to have the right gasket but I couldn't wait and It looks good enough that nobody will ever notice.

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-img_0408.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-img_0409.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-img_0410.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-img_0411.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-img_0412.jpg  

Door (wing) mirrors-img_0414.jpg  
Daf11e (09-26-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 PM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts

Hard to find a factory instruction for either LH or RH mounting instructions or exact location. I think its a case of studying some old photos and one sitting in the drivers seat and one holding the mirror.
They are not cheap mirrors but they do have a great classic look on these vehicles. Handy with an remote cabin adjustment as well.
As per photos one of the ones I managed to pick up came with a 2mm metal plate which sits in the door cavity. This makes great sense rather than screwing directly to the door skin.
Unfortunately I only have one of the black plastic gaskets in the photo. I cant seem to find another of which I will need for the other side..

Attached Thumbnails Door (wing) mirrors-dsc_1216.jpg   Door (wing) mirrors-dsc_1217.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xjtom
The mirror you have is the standard drivers side for that model...i have the same, i didn't have a passenger side mirror so priced one in Australia...price is ridiculous so i bought a standard drivers side left-hand -drive mirror assembly complete with control from the USA for $50....Fitting of the mirror assembly is easy, the door plate should have the markings on the inner side & the door skin has the markings for the hand control, can send you pics or meet up in Sydney (I'm in Windsor) so you can see the set up (any excuse for a drive).......still have USA contact if you want one......Tom
Hi Tom, can I get the contact info the vendor here in the US? I need the passenger side (right for US) mirror.

thanks!
Phil
Los Angeles

Quick Reply: Door (wing) mirrors