XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Estimate for reupholstering both front seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Estimate for reupholstering both front seats

Estimate for reupholstering both front seats today for both seats and back.

About $800 XJ6 1978 Ser.2
I'm removing the seats .
Walter

Old 10-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

What material is the trimmer using for that estimate ? It seems not much money for what is involved.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Pretty hard to compare between countries but I paid $900 in my country for the same work a while ago. At the time that would have been about the same as your quote. That was in leather.

Got back seats done a while later, that costed a bit more.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. My guess would be vinyl. OK, if a good quality.

2. But, perhaps as one of Doug's pals did, a nice velour. It does beat vinyl or leather in very cold or very hot climes...

Carl

Old 10-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

I went with velour... but i bought entire seats already done from Craigslist, car they camenfrom.was an s3 but had no sunroof, guessing came from factoty with the velour seats(different market,) got front and back for aboit 500 if Not the best pic but you can see edges of seats, no wear at all on them.

i recall correctly

Old 10-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
1. My guess would be vinyl. OK, if a good quality.

Nowadays some of the vinyl material is so soft that you'd swear it was new leather....nothing at all like the 'plastic-ish' vinyl upholstery from years ago.

2. But, perhaps as one of Doug's pals did, a nice velour. It does beat vinyl or leather in very cold or very hot climes...

Carl

Yup. He had the seats redone in a tweed material, very close in appearance to the factory material. Looked and felt great.

Personally I think 'leather' and 'Jaguar' go together....but it's just a matter of taste and preferences. Or, often, pocketbook

The velour material (as opposed to tweed-like) was on the earlier Jags, by the way. Series II cars....possibly Series I as well?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

check out Lseat.com. I just redid my Range rover seats with covers from them. Fine quality. Other range rover guys on another forum used them and also were impressed.

If you search, I believe another participant on this forum got some nice covers from a different supplier, online. they looked really good also.

geneo

Old 10-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by geneo
check out Lseat.com. I just redid my Range rover seats with covers from them. Fine quality. Other range rover guys on another forum used them and also were impressed.

If you search, I believe another participant on this forum got some nice covers from a different supplier, online. they looked really good also.

geneo
Thanks , I will get in touch with them.

Walter

Old 10-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts

I had never seen cloth seats in a Jaguar but I must say the velour in the photos is beautiful. My front seats were shot and never really comfortable. Since I am not a purist .... I found a set of perforated black leather bucket seats that are very much in keeping with the style of the original SIII seats. They were out of a 2004 Mazda and in perfect condition. They fit in the space available, I can use my original seatbelts, and they are oooh so comfortable.