XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Tone

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

yachmanbutton

there are 2 XJ6C cars on ebay. one with a cat and one without. they look factory. good photos. check it out.

geneo

Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 AM
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

On my '86 xj6, I "deleted" the front muffs, and rear resonators. Yep, all four. I couldn't hear the thing running and I like the sound of the dohc 6. Now it sounds great, get some crackle and pop on overrun, not loud at all. If I ever drive it again I'll get that cat off there too.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Is this the sound you're searching for? Raspy Idle

I hope this link works, first time linking to my G-Drive.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

I was actually going to add in my original post " without adding two more cylinders".

Old 08-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
I was actually going to add in my original post " without adding two more cylinders".
That is the original 4.2 I6. I haven't fired up the LT1...yet.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

So was that a cold start? Is that why it's running lumpy? What have you got for a muffler system?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Very cold start. Had to feather the pedal to keep it running. Probably was the first or second time starting it after winter hibernation.

Exhaust was stock, but had numerous leaks in the pipe between the cat & the first set of mufflers. Recording it in the garage exaggerated the sound on the recording.

Not going to be a sound you can replicate, but I really like the way that video made it sound!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by moronthethrottle
Very cold start. Had to feather the pedal to keep it running. Probably was the first or second time starting it after winter hibernation.

Exhaust was stock, but had numerous leaks in the pipe between the cat & the first set of mufflers. Recording it in the garage exaggerated the sound on the recording.

Not going to be a sound you can replicate, but I really like the way that video made it sound!
You can replicate the sound, like I mentioned in my earlier post. Straight pipes! No mufflers. You'd be surprised how good it sounds. I was looking for more of an xke sound. You can idle with a cop standing at your door and he would not notice. But that's with the cat still in place. I've never had anyone even ask about the noise level, but I have had comments on how good it sounds. Mostly by fellow rednecks...
Btw... My daughter drove it to high school like this, she got the same comments.

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

I'm supposed to get back today the Y pipe with the CAT gutted and I'll put that back on. But I don't expect to hear what I want to hear as the four rear silencers are still in place. Next step will be to eliminate the forward two silencers with straight pipes (actually slight S shaped pipes), then see what that sounds like. Final step would be to eliminate the two rears. But with the CAT gutted I don't expect that I need to eliminate the two rears.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I've installed the new exhaust system and don't notice much of a difference - disappointing. The single pipe comes from the exhaust manifolds, then to the gutted CAT, dual pipes out of it and straight back, up and over the rear diff carrier and then to the two stock rear mufflers, out the S pipes. So, I've eliminated the two forward mufflers. My last resort will be to remove the two rear mufflers (I expect it to be too loud) when I bring the car to be painted as the two pipes stick out through the rear valance. Maybe something like "cherry bombs" in their place?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the 4.2 liter is quiet compared to the 3.8 liter which sounds 'Jaguar'. I don't know why.

my '65 S type has 5 mufflers and it still roars. Go figure.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

One never knows???

My car came to us with the DOHC running nicely. To my "challenged" ears, quiet.
One cat, two OEM mufflers and "cherry bombs" as the resonators at the end.

Out with the failed, DOHC. In with a nice LT1. Local muffler shop and I designed the exhaust. Two cats to please the SMOG gods. An H pipe to smoothen the rasp. All else JAG, "cherry bombs" kept. Very pleasing V8 burble. More thn one in the kinow recognized it as V8 noise. Not a racket, just right....

Carl

Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Well, I've installed the new exhaust system and don't notice much of a difference - disappointing. The single pipe comes from the exhaust manifolds, then to the gutted CAT, dual pipes out of it and straight back, up and over the rear diff carrier and then to the two stock rear mufflers, out the S pipes. So, I've eliminated the two forward mufflers. My last resort will be to remove the two rear mufflers (I expect it to be too loud) when I bring the car to be painted as the two pipes stick out through the rear valance. Maybe something like "cherry bombs" in their place?
Run it straight first, if it's too loud then put cherry bombs on it. You should hear it straight first though

Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, will definetly run straight before investing any more for sure. Except... I have a new vibration when I rev the engine that I didn't have prior to gutting the CAT and removing the two forward most mufflers, and replacing with just pipe. I have diagnosed it to weak OEM muffler hangers. So I ordered new rubber from SNG Barrett this morning and now I have to take the entire muffler system back off again, remove the hangers and rebuild them. They do look pretty poor. Should have done them when I was doing the exhaust work, but that's not how I do things. It seems like I have to do things four times before I get it right! Please tell me I'm not alone in that.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

you are not alone!!

because you want it right/perfect.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yes... but to a fault.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

I am a third times a charm guy. That is why this is such a great hobby. Keeps us out of trouble. And we have three or four times the satisfaction when we finally get it right.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
I am a third times a charm guy. That is why this is such a great hobby. Keeps us out of trouble. And we have three or four times the satisfaction when we finally get it right.
sounds about right!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Well, after taking the entire exhaust system down from exhaust manifold junction to the S pipes, I found ALL of the muffler hangers in need of replacement. I ordered them from SNG Barratt. It's a wonder it didn't vibrate and shake before. Maybe it did and I didn't notice. I'm glad I'm finally doing the job correct now. I'll try the no rear mufflers part before I put it back together to see how it sounds. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My son terms it making a task into a project. Aye, I do the latter, for sure....
I've done it for decades...

Carl

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tone