Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few photos, a few questions - 1974 XJ6 SII

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few photos, a few questions - 1974 XJ6 SII

Hello again,

Well I have FINALLY started work on the Jag again (after relocating state a few times and buying our first house). First things I realized...I need a bigger garage! (see photos)

But anyway, first order of business is flushing out the fuel tanks. As I'm pretty sure the fuel in there is around 2 years old.

So I ordered a couple of seals from Prestige Spares in Melbourne Australia and dropped the bung out of the left hand (as if you're sitting in the drivers seat) tank. Holy hell....I had no idea there was that much fuel in there, and it would come out at 30 megalitres a second!!! LUCKY i had a massive container to catch most of it.

So, my first question (since I've only done one tank), If i'm sitting in the drivers seat and push the fuel button in, fuel will come from the LEFT hand tank, right?

Second question, has anyone replaced their reservoir tank because it's gone rusty as hell?? I looked at mine (since it was basically dry) and was shocked to see an orange sludge (see photo). Is there a cheap replacement for these that won't rust in future? Given the state of it, is it worth doing a radiator flush? Anything else worth thinking about?

Cheers for any advice!
Dan

Attached Thumbnails A few photos, a few questions - 1974 XJ6 SII-imag0322.jpg   A few photos, a few questions - 1974 XJ6 SII-greenmachine.jpg   A few photos, a few questions - 1974 XJ6 SII-rusty.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eathernet

Second question, has anyone replaced their reservoir tank because it's gone rusty as hell?? I looked at mine (since it was basically dry) and was shocked to see an orange sludge (see photo). Is there a cheap replacement for these that won't rust in future? Given the state of it, is it worth doing a radiator flush? Anything else worth thinking about?

Cheers for any advice!
Dan
Hi- Not sure about the fuel tank switch issue but you could certainly continue to use your coolant expansion reservoir if you clean it out as long as the rust hasn't compromised the integrity of the tank. Take it out and if it's okay except for internal rust you could throw in a few nuts and/or bolts and rattle them around to remove the crumbly stuff inside. Then flush it out again and repeat a few times. If you want to seal the inside you can use the same stuff you would use for a fuel tank. POR-15 makes a version.

You could just use it as is without sealing though once you get out all the loose rust. As for a cheap replacement... it has to be a similar tank that can take a pressure cap. A good used one is your best bet if yours can't be saved but there certainly are aftermarket expansion tanks you can use if you can't find one... the ones I've seen aren't exactly cheap though. When I had to replace mine a used one was a much better deal.

Definitely flush the cooling system if it's been sitting a while but don't backflush it using one of those kits that goes into a heater hose. Just fill and empty a few times until the water comes out clear.

The following users liked this post:
eathernet (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike,

Good idea with the nuts/bolts to clean the tank out, will give that a go. Yeah I had a poke around a few sites last night and found a s/s replacement for $175, bit steep for me so might clean this one up.

Cheers,
Dan