XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping during turns and Oil Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Slipping during turns and Oil Pressure Question

I am happy to finally announce that my series one is FINALLY running great. I have always had a charging problem and finally figured it out (a wire was disconnected from the starter relay). Runs and starts great now so I figured I would start tackling other issues. First, what is the proper oil pressure while idle and during normal, say 35-40mph (55-65kph), driving? Second, I have a problem while accelerating through turns where it feels as though the transmission or rear diff. is slipping. It seems to be only if I am giving it gas through the first part of the turn, while if I only accelerate out of it, I usually have full responsiveness. It feels just like my old truck (with a very worn clutch) does if I accelerate too hard, just slips and takes a while to gain speed, and when it finally goes back to normal, it catches hard. Only seems to do it during turns. Any help or advice would be great.

The following users liked this post:
rustfreemike (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Civicalized
...First, what is the proper oil pressure while idle and during normal, say 35-40mph (55-65kph), driving? Second, I have a problem while accelerating through turns where it feels as though the transmission or rear diff. is slipping. It seems to be only if I am giving it gas through the first part of the turn, while if I only accelerate out of it, I usually have full responsiveness. It feels just like my old truck (with a very worn clutch) does if I accelerate too hard, just slips and takes a while to gain speed, and when it finally goes back to normal, it catches hard. Only seems to do it during turns. Any help or advice would be great.
Hi - My quite worn 73 shows 40psi when fully warmed up during the summer at highway speed (65-70mph). At idle during the same conditions the gauge will get down around 20psi (sometimes a little less). This is not great but within spec. I use 20w50 and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. If you think you're having any kind of issue with oil pressure definitely verify by hooking up a mechanical gauge before taking any remedial action. When I first got my car the oil pressure gauge acted a little wierd because all wires near the engine were quite heat damaged. The one to my oil pressure sender was very bad. Plus the sending units can be slow, inaccurate, etc...

The BW model 12 transmission in your 73 is very sensitive to fluid level. From your description it's possible that around curves the fluid is sloshing around away from the pickup screen. I know this is sort of obvious but check the fluid level carefully - level surface, running, warm. Model 12s hate low fluid levels. It could, of course, be 1000 other things though, but at least that's an easy fix Band adjustment could also cause an issue but turning wouldn't be part of the equation.

I don't think the diff would be the culprit but maybe a malfunctioning pow-r-lock if your car is equipped that way?

~Mike

The following users liked this post:
Civicalized (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Awesome, thank you! I will check the level as you described. I'm not sure how level the car was last time I checked, so I will find a good spot to check it this time. Hopefully it is something that simple. I did have to top it off a few months ago but maybe I didn't get enough in there. As for oil pressure, mine sits at about 60 (give or take 5, according to my dash gauge) so I will check it with a manual gauge like you suggested. It is due for an oil change soon so I will try your oil mixture (20w50 with lucas oil st.) when I do. Thank you so much for your input, hopefully I have simple fixes!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome, thank you! I will check the level as you described. I'm not sure how level the car was last time I checked, so I will find a good spot to check it this time. Hopefully it is something that simple. I did have to top it off a few months ago but maybe I didn't get enough in there. As for oil pressure, mine sits at about 60 (give or take 5, according to my dash gauge) so I will check it with a manual gauge like you suggested. It is due for an oil change soon so I will try your oil mixture (20w50 with lucas oil st.) when I do. Thank you so much for your input, hopefully I have simple fixes!
You're very welcome! 60 psi is great but a little high if it always stays there - it should move around a bit. Sometimes people modify the by-pass valve by stretching the spring so it won't open as easily which will raise the oil pressure. This ain't a great situation either because if you need the bypass valve to operate (clogged oil filter) it can't do what it's supposed to. If you haven't had the car a while and never personally changed the oil, at least when you do, you can be sure that everything is okay.

To illustrate the Model 12 fluid issue... I bought a Series 3 E-type on ebay a few years back (V-12, Model 12 Trans). Went about 40 miles to pick it up and drive it home. Everything was fine until I was getting off the highway. Went around the exit cloverleaf fast (trying out the suspension - you gotta right?) and immediately went into a left turn lane and stopped, waiting for the green. When the light changed the E-type wouldn't move. After a couple of minutes of sitting there with the hood open fuming and wondering what the heck was going on I got in and tried it and it went back into gear. Got home, driving real easy and found that the fluid was low. Never had a problem with it again.

~Mike

Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Alright, sorry for the late reply, I have been busy. I topped off the tranny fluid and it seems to have fixed the problem. Kinda crazy how sensitive those things are (as illustrated in your E-type). I have watched my oil pressure a little more closely and it sits at about 60 while driving, and maybe 45ish while idle, after I have been driving. I wont worry too much about it until after I change the oil, which should be soon, and If it remains high, I will check it with a different gauge. Thank you so much for your help, My car seems to get more fun with each little thing I fix.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Alright, sorry for the late reply, I have been busy. I topped off the tranny fluid and it seems to have fixed the problem. Kinda crazy how sensitive those things are (as illustrated in your E-type). I have watched my oil pressure a little more closely and it sits at about 60 while driving, and maybe 45ish while idle, after I have been driving. I wont worry too much about it until after I change the oil, which should be soon, and If it remains high, I will check it with a different gauge. Thank you so much for your help, My car seems to get more fun with each little thing I fix.
I don't see why you have to add any oil additive to a fresh oil & filter change?
personally I stay away from any additives, they are mostly snake oil, I do use Castrol 20W50 oil and a Jaguar oil filter.

yes, Jag trannys are very sensitive to fluid level, they are after all, American made.

And just like the cooling system, these cars always require more fluids than it appears, so check it and check it until the cows come home.

Last edited by Jose; 09-04-2012 at 05:07 AM.