Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally on the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Finally on the road

After over 18 months, my Series 3 will be registered tomorrow(Monday) and I will finally be able to take it out on the highway for a test run.
Most of my problems have been resolved, thanks to everyone on this forum.
New tires (Thanks LNR) 215/60/15.
New Brake hardware all around
Engine: Ignition System Serviced.
Fuel System: New Pump, Pre-filters, New FPR.(Thanks DOUG)
Engine idle: 1100 in Park, 800 in Drive. Will adjust after I drive the car for a while.
(JOSE) I still have my transmission weep to attend to. Like some one said, it was just "marking its territory".
All of the smaller vacuum hoses replaced
All electrical connectors cleaned and serviced.
Fuses holders and new fuses put in
All door switches except one now working.
I am planning to do Doug's bumper modification process after I sort out any issues i run into after the test run.
I know that there will be a lot of stuff still to be done, but those will be based on my maiden voyage.
I will take some pics and post them after.
THREE CHEERS

Attached Thumbnails Finally on the road-0285jag-004.jpg   Finally on the road-0285jag-005.jpg   Finally on the road-0285jag-006.jpg   Finally on the road-0285jag-007.jpg   Finally on the road-1985-jaguar-xj6-002.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by sanchez:
Ahabiam (03-11-2016), LnrB (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Far out

Cheers
DD

Old 02-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Well earned. Enjoy.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,945 Likes on 5,292 Posts

Hooraaaayyyyyyy!!
Congrats, and Well Done!!
And yet another Xj6 saved from the crusher and Jaguar Heaven (or hell, depending on your outlook).
EDIT: We're cerebrating in honor of your persistence, Sanchez, and in honor of your car!
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 02-28-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Well done mate.....good luck with it!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Nice looking machine, you must be a happy boy!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:10 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Well done, you will enjoy the shake down run even if you find a few small problems.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchez
All electrical connectors cleaned and serviced.
Fuses holders and new fuses put in

You've pre-emptively cured about 80% of the much ballyhooed "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" problems

Cheers
DD

Old 02-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

I took the car on a 20 mile trip and so far, so good. A couple of things I noticed:
1) My bulb failure light is on very dim. When I apply the brake it gets brighter, but all my bulbs work fine.
2) I hear a raspy, whirring sound. It seems to be coming from somewhere behind my Speedometer or Tach, but that should be electronic. Do I have a speedometer cable
3)On coming to a stop; down shifting back to 1st gear I hear a slight bang at my right rear wheel. I am going to try and reduce the idle RPM and see if that helps.
4)Sometimes on startup the pinion gear is lazy retracting from the ring gear, so it catches on the ring gear. I removed the starter and the pinion shows some signs of damage at the very tip of the gear The ring gear is good. I am picking up a new starter tomorrow to see how that goes.
Other than the small issues listed above the car runs great. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by sanchez; 02-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Replaced the starter with a remanufactured one from Oriellys. It lasted all of four starts.
On the fifth start the car started and the pinion gear disengaged from the flywheel but kept on spinning. Sounded like a blender at high speed under the hood. Had to disconnect the battery for it to stop. Will be getting another one tomorrow.
I still have the starter I removed from the car, the one that catches occasionally on the flywheel. If the replacement starter acts up, I may have to bite the bullet and take it to the local rebuilder, who is extremely expensive and totally ****.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Change all those bulbs to LED's

My O'Reilly store actually has a good selection of them.. makes a huge difference in the Tach and Speedo as well as the interior lights... I even put them in the backup lights.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
... I even put them in the backup lights.
Roger, I tried some in Nix's backup lights and am Seriously disappointed in light output. Wart did better!

Can you please tell me the number of the lights you used?
Thank you.
(';')

Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Sanchez:

Absolutely well done. My compliments. there are rebuilds an there are rebuilds. some great, some merely junk. I visited a rebuild shop decades ago. I realized the adage, "if you like sausage, never visit a
sausage shop", was true!!!

I think you would be better served with a good used unit via David Boger.

I have decent left over, but, it is spoken for. Whenever, sir!

LnrB:

There is a Jaguar Heaven on earth!! Located in the vicinity of Stockton, CA. My DOHC expired in that vicinity. But fortunes
brought on a flat bed ride home, not there!!!

Extra:
The bulb fail unit is kind of slick. It's dash ljght should come on on turning on the ignition, signifies, it is "on duty", then go out. Unless there is a dead bulb. it functions by L & R bulb volts comparison.
So mismatched bulbs will, show as a dead one. or even, clean socket vs not so clean...

Slick, but, I prefer looking !!!!

Carl

Old 03-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Carl:
I didn't know there was an establishment called Jaguar Heaven! Hmm.
(';')

Old 03-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Installed the 2nd starter from Oriellys this morning. It is working, but it has a whine to it. I will leave it on for the time being and locate a starter rebuilding shop in Orlando, Fl. A 45 minute drive for me. I will also contact David to see if he has one available.The starter **** in my neighborhood is just that. He will put the fear of God in you if you told him that the job he did was unsatisfactory. He charges top dollar and if you are dissatisfied with his job he will throw you out of his shop. From what I heard, he has no repeat customers. I will look elsewhere.
Maybe Darrenmb or Jose knows a starter rebuilder in the Orlando area who they can recommend.
Car is driving great so far.
Some of the issues are:
I have to take my foot off the accelerator for it to go into high gear.
No kickdown. I have to check the kickdown cable
I may have to get an ignition switch. Engine starts only when you release the key from the Crank position to "ON"
Front Sway Bar and Sway Bar link bushings.
@Roger: Could you please post the LED bulb #s

Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

i dont have anyone, when mine went bad i ordered a gear reduction unit from britishstarters.com, it went bad in less than a year, they did however warranty it, but while i was waiting i had to have car running so i got a regular one from some other online source, was supposed to be new, and it too died, luckily at that point i had the new gear reduction sitting on shelf, been about 18 months now with no problems....

Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Wowee, A good part of the last monmths of last year were spent on
starter "rassling". Not Lucas, but, GM! My car is GM LT1 powered.

Multiple issues dealt with. Including a "just plumb wore out" ignition
switch. They are kinda puny to start with. Hence, Jaguar's use of a plethora of relays. A very decent used unit via David Boger solved so much!!!!

My car is now doing quite well on an all new Malaysian built unit.
Whether a unit is available for an original Jaguar 4.2 is unknown to me. I sourced mine via Rock Auto. Might check there, in lieu of the local "hard case".

A whine would not bother me so long as it cranked the engine....

I am multi tasking, got two computers booted up!!!

Carl

Old 03-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

@ JagCad: I hear you but it sounds like a Chevy starter that was installed without the shims and is extremely annoying. I spoke to a friend of mine who works on MGBs . He heard the whine and is also of the opinion that the starter is faulty. My original starter is good but he said that it is hanging up because of a weak solenoid spring. He has given me a couple of XKE starters which are bigger but the solenoids are the same. I will swap out the spring and see if that works. Oriellys not happy, but they are getting back their crap starter.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Shims, oh yeah. Some GM installs need tem and others not.
One of my starters came with instructions as to when needed and
how to do it. Even a method of checking engaged clearances with a drill bit. I was lucky, sorta. No shims needed on any of 'em!!!

BUT!!! that comment reminds me of reading that the LUCAs unit on a 4.2 uses a circular spacer. Acts as a shim!!! Is yours there????

Way back when, I was blindly chasing a "no hot crank" on the ACDElco starter on my IHC Scout II. I opened it's solenoid. slick, a contact plate that could be reversed and present fresh brass!!!

Is you key loose and sloppy in the ignition switch? Mine was. Caused more than one issue... The one I got from David Boger was much tighter. A lot of oddities went away on my installing it.

Carl.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

@JagCad: Yes, there is a shim thats about 3/16" thick. Well, I returned the starter to Oriellys and got my money back. The XKE starter solenoid was the same size but the spring was more robust. I installed the spring on my solenoid and it works great. I stripped down my starter and serviced it. I installed new starter brushes with a new set that were for an MGB starter which my friend gave me. I also installed two new bushings. Some of the MGB starter parts are identical, it seems. I soldered back all the wiring to the solenoid and the result is that my original starter is now working perfectly.
So much for all the headaches with the rebuilt starters. took me about 1 1/2 hours to service my starter and it never sounded that good before.
One problem solved, Now I am going to see where the tranny is leaking from. I am hoping it's not the front seal, but then again if the front seal failed I would have a bigger leak. Just going to pressure wash the underside of the tranny and inspect.

Quick Reply: Finally on the road