XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, working rear windshield heater

Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Finally, working rear windshield heater

Hi all.After working on my 85 XJ-6, was sitting in the drivers seat, looking into my non-working rear windshield heater/defroster. Hasn't worked since I've owned the car, so was not familiar with it, or anything about how it worked, other than assuming it was like any other defroster. Read the service manuel, which disclosed the warning light should appear in the tachometer gauge, when its on. I pushed the switch, just like so many other times, and nothing happened. Checked both connections at the rear windshield, as well as the painted lines on the windshield, all seemed good. Again sat down in the drivers seat, and out of disgust, gave the switch one last push, this time rather hard, maybe somehow thinking if I broke it, it'd give me an excuse to buy a new switch, and start from there. To my amazement, at the very end of the "hard" push, I caught a flicker of light on the dash. I did it again, and, again, at the very end of the push, a little flicker. Remembering past experiences with other switches in this car, especially the window switches, lots of exercise will sometimes make them start working, short of taking them apart for a really good cleaning. Guess this scrapes enough corrosion off the contacts also. Anyway, kinda just poking at the switch started making the light come on brighter, then before I knew it, it actually started staying on when I released it. It was in the hight 70's here today, so will have to wait until the next frosty weather to see wheather on not the rear defroster is actually working, or just the dash switch light. Guess I could have gotten off my duff and walked back to feel if it got hot, but, hey, I need something to do later anyway! ) Again, hope this helps someone that may have the same issues. Keith