XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog / Driving Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Fog / Driving Light Upgrade

What are everyone's thoughts on fog/driving light upgrades, both aesthetically and functionally? I'm sort of torn if it adds or takes away from the style. More importantly, though do you guys find them useful?

Also, what's the preferred bulb replacement for the stock headlights?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

On a Series III?

No.

I've gone both ways on my Series IIIs and I prefer 'without', as the factory style under-bumper mounting looks like too much of an add-on for my tastes.

If you can devise something that doesn't look like it's dangling in the wind, I'd said 'yes'.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

It will always a matter of personal taste with these things, just like the bonnet/hood leaper - some people love 'em, others hate 'em!

Any lights that are not integral will obviously look added on. Personally I like them on the SIII, to my eye they enhance the low "prowling" stance of the car viewed front on. I fitted them to mine. BUT - they need to be the slim rectangular type, not too large and definitely not round! Also, as Doug has observed, they should be mounted with least amount of bracket being visible (easy to do with most after-market kits) so they fit snuggly under the bumper, minimum dangle!

Cheers,

Last edited by jagent; 10-25-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thinking about it further, there is one caveat to my opinion which is based on how they look with standard Euro/ROW bumpers. On the U.S. style extended bumpers the driving lights may protrude further out from the body. Would this make them look ungainly? don't know, possibly...never seen a pic with them on!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I think it is not an issue of whether they look "pretty" or not, it is an issue of whether you need auxiliary lights or not, i.e., functionality. In my opinion, the more light, the better.

if your car is a Series 3 XJ, (1979½ to 1987 USA cars), the car came pre-wired from the factory for either Fog or Driving lights, (one or the other can be connected to the factory wiring).

the problem with USA cars and auxiliary lights, is that when you select the Fog lights position at the Headlights switch, the Headlights are turned OFF by default. Jaguar did this since the early 1960's in all its models, I don't know why.

the way to avoid that limitation is to install a European Series 3 XJ headlights switch, which gives you more headlight/auxiliary light combinations. ( see third picture)

As to Tony's comment about the aux. lights protruding out from the body or bumper in US cars, that is not the case, the brackets do not allow that, the lights are flush or under-flush with the bumper, i.e., they are further in than out.

Here's my '84 with the double (fog & driving lights). BTW: the bumper is pre-drilled from the factory as well for adding auxiliary lights.

I have a set of the original Bosch Fog lamps with the protective covers, (see the second picture).

Attached Thumbnails Fog / Driving Light Upgrade-1984-xj6.jpg   Fog / Driving Light Upgrade-03-bosch-fogs-all.jpg   Fog / Driving Light Upgrade-uk-s3-xj6-headlights-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 10-26-2015 at 06:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
Jag7651 (11-02-2015), thedugger1 (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
the problem with USA cars and auxiliary lights, is that when you select the Fog lights position at the Headlights switch, the Headlights are turned OFF by default. Jaguar did this since the early 1960's in all its models, I don't know why.

Because headlights and 'fog lights' operating simultaneously defeats the purpose of the fog lights!

Driving lights are a different matter, naturally

Cheers
DD

Old 10-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
BTW: the bumper is pre-drilled from the factory as well for adding auxiliary lights.

That must've been something Jaguar did only when in the mood. None of my Series III cars: 1985, 1987, nor 1988 had pre-drilled bumpers. A pal of mine owning with a 1980 Series III inherited my old fog lamps...and we had to drill the bumper to install them.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
That must've been something Jaguar did only when in the mood. None of my Series III cars: 1985, 1987, nor 1988 had pre-drilled bumpers. A pal of mine owning with a 1980 Series III inherited my old fog lamps...and we had to drill the bumper to install them.

Cheers
DD
Mine were not pre-drilled either.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:18 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Guys,

Fog Lights per se are meant to emit defused light in foggy conditions. That is why 'fog lens' glass is usually frosted and or yellow / orange tinted.

This is the reason head lights drop out when fog lights are activated.

The dense fog bounces bright light (head lights) back at you and essentially blinds you.

My two bobs worth on driving lights under the bumper are that I don't mind the period rectangle style ones.

From experience I can report that they are a PITA though.

Their location close to the road means that the lenses will chip pretty quickly from road debris usually thrown up from the vehicle in front, and almost as quickly, they will then crack and eventually fall out with the vibrations of the car going over bumps, etc.

To stop this, you must keep protective covers over the lenses, which means that when you want to use them say at night when it is cold, dark, wet, windy, wife telling you that you are lost, and you need driving lights, you have to pull over and take the lens covers off so that the light will get out and be useful and not melt the lens covers. You get wet and more dark.

Did I also mention that when you are nosing the car into a parking spot, if there is a low protruding gutter, kerb, towbar or other immovable object low down that you may or may not sight as you park, yep, you hear a noise just like breaking glass or bent mounting metal as you realize that there isn't as much clearance under the bumper as before.

Similarly, say you chance not using covers over the lenses, when you actually go to use them, those driving lights find all manner of ways to not point in a meaningful way in the direction that you really want on the road, so you have to pull over anyway to re align them on the side of the road.

Rant over.

I do still like the look of them, but I would never fit them knowingly. Enough pain / fun dealing with other fun things that go wrong which I can't control.

Cheers,

Nigel

The following users liked this post:
thedugger1 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Nigel, thanks for reminding me about the practical issues of owning/installing. I just had flashbacks of my circa 80's and 90's cars that I routinely smashed fogs on a variety of obstructions. I may just skip altogether on that alone.

Good point on the function of the fog light as well, I believe I was "officially" going for driving lights.

I would like to improve lighting a bit, however, and have been exploring the forum. Not sure I want to fiddle with 7" outers, but there seem to be some promising options for the existing 5 3/4" units.

Thanks to all, as I do find your insight quite helpful.