XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Thoughts on a QuickJack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts
Default Thoughts on a QuickJack?

I've been looking for a different lift/stand system for both of our cars.
My question comes at the end. I frankly never feel safe under my car. I may be perfectly safe using the four jackstands, but I never feel that way, so I'm looking to change.
Here are my criteria and sorry this will be a bit long.
  1. I want to lift the cars longitudinally so the lift stand need to be out of the way of the transmission and exhaust. This eliminates scissor lifts.
  2. I want to be able to lift the body, letting the wheels drop. This eliminates most ramps but I found one ramp that allows for both.
  3. Low rise (21") to mid rise will do. I don't need or want to stand. I can lie or recline or even sit while working.
  4. I don't have width in the garage for a post lift.
  5. I want to leave the lift in place and drive over it (low clearance).
  6. My home owners association won't approve a pit in the garage. (I shall plan my revenge accordingly)
I looked at the EZ car lift and the QuickJack. I liked the QuickJack better because one side of the lift isn't tethered to the other. It also has a lower clearance so I could essentially slide them together when not in use and park over them, no issue. I can use a creeper without issue.

So here is where I think I'm stuck. The maximum length for either of these lifts at there lift point is 59.7", so 5 feet.
The X350 lift points are 76 inches apart front to rear.

Here are my questions:
  • Can I use the front lift point and then use the pinch weld on the rocker panel at the rear (using rubber blocks)?
I don't know the strength on the rocker panel.

The rear lift point would be about 1/3 point of the rear door.

• Will I have a balancing issue?

• What's under the hard plastic shielding that abuts to the rocker panel? If it's a frame rail, I maybe OK?
QuickJack BL-5000XL

EZ CAR LIFT

Alternatively I can use the Kwik-Lift which has a method for lifting the cars off the ramp, lays flat when not in use and can be parked on with relative ease.

KWIKLIFT

I'd appreciate your thoughts pro and con on any of the 3 setups. (or something I haven't thought through

Thank you!

Last edited by Sean W; 10-21-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Not sure how narrow your garage is, but MaxJax requires less garage width than most two post lifts...might be worth looking into: MaxJax Portable Car Lift - Home Garage Lift - Dannmar - MaxJax USA

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Don B (11-15-2015), Sean W (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I did look at the maxjax as well and should have added that one. It won't work in my garage, even with posts as narrow as 108".

Old 10-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

ive been using two sets of ramps lately if i want the whole car raised. dont even bother driving the car on any more. Jack the car up, slide the ramps under, do the same at the other end. Face ramps opposite ways so roll off hazard is reduced.

Thanks for the links, its interesting to see what is out there

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

I have the cartar mobile lift as well as the "platform kit"

Unlike most lifts once the car is up in the air you can move it about the workshop.
It was designed for smash repair shops so the car goes on the lift and stys on, when it s time for paint you just push it in the booth.

The platform kit allows me to use it for repairing the rideon mower and as a welding bench

check it out at Cartar Industries - Mobile Lifts & Portable Lifts

That being said I will be still be putting in a 2 post and 4 post hoist in the new shed which starts construction after the wet season in March

The only issue with 2 post hoists is they are a bit narrow for the x350, so it will need to be widened. Ive chosen one that uses rams rather than cables to make this easy although more expensive

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
I've been looking for a different lift/stand system for both of our cars.
My question comes at the end. I frankly never feel safe under my car. I may be perfectly safe using the four jackstands, but I never feel that way, so I'm looking to change.
Here are my criteria and sorry this will be a bit long.

[*]I want to lift the cars longitudinally so the lift stand need to be out of the way of the transmission and exhaust. This eliminates scissor lifts.[*]I want to be able to lift the body, letting the wheels drop. This eliminates most ramps but I found one ramp that allows for both.[*]Low rise (21") to mid rise will do. I don't need or want to stand. I can lie or recline or even sit while working.[*]I don't have width in the garage for a post lift.[*]I want to leave the lift in place and drive over it (low clearance).[*]My home owners association won't approve a pit in the garage. (I shall plan my revenge accordingly)

I looked at the EZ car lift and the QuickJack. I liked the QuickJack better because one side of the lift isn't tethered to the other. It also has a lower clearance so I could essentially slide them together when not in use and park over them, no issue. I can use a creeper without issue.

So here is where I think I'm stuck. The maximum length for either of these lifts at there lift point is 59.7", so 5 feet.
The X350 lift points are 76 inches apart front to rear.

Here are my questions:
[*]Can I use the front lift point and then use the pinch weld on the rocker panel at the rear (using rubber blocks)?

I don't know the strength on the rocker panel.

The rear lift point would be about 1/3 point of the rear door.

[*]Will I have a balancing issue?

[*]What's under the hard plastic shielding that abuts to the rocker panel? If it's a frame rail, I maybe OK?

QuickJack BL-5000XL

EZ CAR LIFT

Alternatively I can use the Kwik-Lift which has a method for lifting the cars off the ramp, lays flat when not in use and can be parked on with relative ease.

KWIKLIFT

I'd appreciate your thoughts pro and con on any of the 3 setups. (or something I haven't thought through

Thank you!
Sean,

I have the Kwik Lift and used it with success with my X350 - no issues... And had lots of room to work underneath. The Kwik Lift's ramp length can be adjusted.

I didn't even extend the ramps to full length and the x350 fit on without issue. I changed my transmission pan, sleeve and fluid with ease. Lots of clearance.

I would highly recommend..

Last edited by abonano; 10-21-2015 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-15-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 34by151
I have the cartar mobile lift as well as the "platform kit"

Unlike most lifts once the car is up in the air you can move it about the workshop.
It was designed for smash repair shops so the car goes on the lift and stys on, when it s time for paint you just push it in the booth.

The platform kit allows me to use it for repairing the rideon mower and as a welding bench

check it out at Cartar Industries - Mobile Lifts & Portable Lifts

That being said I will be still be putting in a 2 post and 4 post hoist in the new shed which starts construction after the wet season in March

The only issue with 2 post hoists is they are a bit narrow for the x350, so it will need to be widened. Ive chosen one that uses rams rather than cables to make this easy although more expensive

Cheers
34by151
I like the lift and thanks for the PM. The price is too high per the Warden.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abonano
Sean,

I have the Kwik Lift and used it with success with my X350 - no issues... And had lots of room to work underneath. The Kwik Lift's ramp length can be adjusted.

I didn't even extend the ramps to full length and the x350 fit on without issue. I changed my transmission pan, sleeve and fluid with ease. Lots of clearance.

I would highly recommend..
Thanks Abonano. I sent you a PM, regarding parking on it while flat. I'm hoping you do that. I don't have room to store it to the side. Please see my PM.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Ended up ordering the Kernel MR6K-38 mid rise.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

well I'm happy with the lift. Sorry for the poor quality pic. Max lift height is 40". Under center is clear for trans/ exhaust work. Will get a reclining creeper but this will be much easier on my old bones.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on a QuickJack?-img_20151114_120229084.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-15-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
ive been using two sets of ramps lately if i want the whole car raised. dont even bother driving the car on any more. Jack the car up, slide the ramps under, do the same at the other end. Face ramps opposite ways so roll off hazard is reduced.

Thanks for the links, its interesting to see what is out there
I may do that for my upcoming transmission service.