XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump failure?

One problem is fixed and yet another develops...

1986 XJ6 VDP

Driving normally down the road, i have probly a 1/5 of a tank in the left side since i only use that side right now. THe engine is running fine and then all of a sudden it just cuts out, like absouly no fuel in the tank. When i try starting it i hear a hollow sound comming from the engine. It has done this before but never when driving. Like it was fuel cut. It usually doesnt start after it rains or is moist out. Im thinking its the fuel pump or a electrical problem. I am just not sure.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Put the gearshift in "D" or "R" and turn the key to start. You should be able to hear the fuel pump run.

Here's some reading:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/nostarts3.htm
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/x...lpumpcheck.htm

For your starting problem in rainy weather remove the main wire that goes from the coil to the middle of the distributor cap and check for corrosion on the terminals and/or the sockets.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

HI
Couple Questions for you, does it only do it if the tank gets low on fuel?
You said you had 1/5 a tank, that's only about 2 gallons or so. Sure your fuel level sending unit is reading correctly?
Ever drained the tank to see if there is any junk on the bottom?
Changed the fuel filter lately?
Did it start back later like nothing ever happened, or did you have to do something to get it going again?

David
EverydayXJ.com

Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 PM

It usually sits for a couple days and will not start (just turn over). After a while it just starts and runs normally. However this time i am not so lucky. I tried puting it in D or R and turned it to the start position, ii just hear a click in the back but no hum. I used to think i got a hum when i would put it to the on position. When it gets warm im going to check the pumps than the distruibutor.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Well, i am getting a spark, power is getting to the fuel pump, it it jerks when power is applied. i changed my fuel filter and redish flakes and you cant see though the fuel that came out of it. I wonder since its been ages since it was changed if it was cloged that it would burn out the fuel pump. Also how to i know if the fuel pump is actually working.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure test

hey man,what you need to do is take a fuel pressure test but,you're gonna need a fuel pressure gauge unless,you disconnect a fuel hose from the fuel rail and get a plastic container,then turn over the car and see how fast and hard it pumps out.does anyone know of another trick for him to check the fuel pump without a gauge?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM

I did the fuel pump check myself, simply disconnected the output hose and fitted it into a small gas can. Put the car in R and turned the key to start for a few seconds.
If the fuel pump is operational, there should be some fuel in the gas can, otherwise, your fuel pump is faulty.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Default glad i joined this forum

i'm glad i joined this forum, you guys know all the tricks,when i get my car i'm gonna be bugging all of you.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Yeah, but the fuel pressure guage is the best idea....

Fuel presence doesn't make the car go, it's fuel pressure. Check for 30-35 psi coming off the CSI line. Without the pressure, you're car won't run correctly.

However, the other test will show you if the pump is actually pumping at all, but if you think the fuel filter is clogged, check it on the line before the fuel filter.

David
EverydayXJ

Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Ok disconnected the fuel pump from the fuel filter and tried putting it in R and starting it. It makes a click and the fuel pump tries to turn on....when trying to start the car the engine cranks and the pump makes noise but no fuel squirts out. fuel is in the line because i removed the fuel pump afterward and fuel was pouring out of the hose. Its odd because i only have 1 fuel pump for both tanks. it says in th manual that imsupposed to have 2 pumps.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

had the same problem and ALSO only had one fuel pump, go figure..... fitted a holley blue fuel pump + fpr, easy fix..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamak86
Ok disconnected the fuel pump from the fuel filter and tried putting it in R and starting it. It makes a click and the fuel pump tries to turn on....when trying to start the car the engine cranks and the pump makes noise but no fuel squirts out. fuel is in the line because i removed the fuel pump afterward and fuel was pouring out of the hose. Its odd because i only have 1 fuel pump for both tanks. it says in th manual that imsupposed to have 2 pumps.

The older models had two fuel pumps. What manual are you using?

Yeah, sounds like your pump is kaput.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM

well hopfully it works, those pumps are expensive. Thanks for all the advice. Ill let you know what happens when I install the new one.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:42 PM

One is a Hanes and the other is a reso manual both including fuel systems. Both say 2 fuel pumps. Just a shot in the dark...is their anyway to repair a fuel pump?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 PM

The Hanes is OK, but since it deals with all three series of XJs it can be kind of confusing.
Always check out the last chapter - 13 suppliment - when you are working on your car. Most of the updated Series 3 information is there.
But if you get into anything in detail, you may need a factory manual. If you can't find one at a good price, let me know -- I've acquired quite a few and can help you get one reasonably.
I also have a factory publication that was released when the fuel injection cars came out, explianing in simple detail how each component works.

Even the photo of the fuel pump in Hanes is incorrect (page 223 in my book)

The dual fuel pumps were dropped when the fuel injected cars came out.

Before you install your new fuel pump, may be a good idea to drain the tanks to make sure they aren't slugged up, and also change the filter. It's simple, and may save you some grief later on.

David
EverdayXJ

Old 04-10-2009, 04:34 PM

New fuel pump installed, autozone just happen to have 1. Runs great with new fuel filter. Problem fixed.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 AM

I'm throwing another fuel filter inline before the pump as well.. just to make sure she stays clean..

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tmz_99
I'm throwing another fuel filter inline before the pump as well.. just to make sure she stays clean..
Good move. I have the same setup, put a clear cheap Fram in front of the big steel canister so I can monitor how dirty the fuel really is. With my nasty tank, it needs replacing quite often. RH tank is still too dirty to use.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by moronthethrottle
Good move. I have the same setup, put a clear cheap Fram in front of the big steel canister so I can monitor how dirty the fuel really is. With my nasty tank, it needs replacing quite often. RH tank is still too dirty to use.
this brings me onto this weekends project. I want to drop the tanks out and clean them.
First step is draining them, looking at the plugs at the bottom of the car, there is a small nut attached to a bigger nut. Which nut should I remove to get the tank to drain (or doesn't it matter)???

Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

tmz~you need the big nut. But the little nut will make less of a mess.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump failure?