Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel send unit - XJ6 Series 1 2.8L

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel send unit - XJ6 Series 1 2.8L

Hi,

I've been installing some new fuel send units, since the old ones were corroded and not working. But after all the connections were made, no signal at all on the fuel level gauge.
The units were ordered for this specific model from England, even though they are not identical to the original ones. They were identified each as being LH and RH, and I did install them that way. But since in England everything inside the car is a mirrored version of a right hand driving car, I question if the send units were in fact installed on the wrong sides. Still, I would figure some signal should get to the gauge. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not really. Left is still left as right remains right.

But, from what perspective!!!! Stand behind the car. look forward.
Left is left and right is right. Or as more commonly viewed, left and right are from the perspective of the driver's seat looking forward.

Hence RHD, right hand drive. The driver sits on the right front seat.

So, if you stand in front of the car and look aft. it becomes "backwards".

Same as one's body and limb orientation. Well, some of us have two lefts of which ever...

Apologies. I got carried away.

If you made the installs accordingly and they do not respond properly, come back and others with better electrical minds than mine will help.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
jag68 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant as if the wiring diagram was symetrical, meaning the unit from their left would actually belong on my right. But guess that's not the case. Despite the hand drive, components seem to fit in the same positions for the same car model.
Nevertheless it was all installed properly and still no signal...

Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

"Quick test is to short the tank sensor (full earth to gauge) and observe if you get full scale deflection on gauge. If yes , wiring/switch/gauge OK, and you may have dud sensors."

How to is from a quick search on your problem on this Forum..worked on my car to prove the senders were bad and wiring to the gauge was OK.

The following users liked this post:
jag68 (08-25-2017)