XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my Jag - kits? Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lowering my Jag - kits? Tips?

I would like to lower the stance on my XJ6C. Anyone sucessfully done that? How?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

how to lower? use 235/60/15 tires.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM

I've done that, the body still sits a fair amount above the tires. I want to lower the suspension.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

sorry, me no mess with Jaguar's design. Mine is as low as it gets.

The following users liked this post:
bill70j (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts
bill70j (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

Originally Posted by jshedd00
I've done that, the body still sits a fair amount above the tires. I want to lower the suspension.
I don't know who would do that these days, but 30 years ago when Nix was converted, the PO had the springs shortened to a ride height of 22 inches from the floor to the center of the outer headlight (the car sits level); as I understand it, a full 2 inches lower than stock.

I'm glad he did that, because I *Like* how low and stealthy she sits, just a bit Snarly and Menacing.
(';')

ronbros (12-09-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The front is easily lowered by lowering the spring pan using spacers and longer bolts.

Or....

Most of these cars were built with 2-3-4 spring spacers, .125" each. Each spacer removed or added yields a .375" difference in ride height. Big job, tho, as the springs must come out.

For the rear you might find some lowering springs. I think some outfit in Australia is selling them.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
jshedd00 (12-09-2016), smith356 (12-10-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
I'm glad he did that, because I *Like* how low and stealthy she sits, just a bit Snarly and Menacing.
(';')

Cheers
DD

LnrB (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

two words:

death wheel

Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

I would like to lower the stance on my XJ6C. Anyone sucessfully done that? How?

Low like this... Requires lots of cutting, welding and fabrication.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xstart...7628118523259/

Fronts are easy, For a slight lowering the rear will requires cutting the springs. But you can only go so far as the drive shaft is the upper control arm and has to be nearly parallel to the ground plain or the U-joint will die quickly. Also the shocks are small and have limited travel.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The front is easily lowered by lowering the spring pan using spacers and longer bolts.

Or....

Most of these cars were built with 2-3-4 spring spacers, .125" each. Each spacer removed or added yields a .375" difference in ride height. Big job, tho, as the springs must come out.

For the rear you might find some lowering springs. I think some outfit in Australia is selling them.

Cheers
DD
This sounds perfect.. the original motor was much heavier than the converted V8 so the front end is actually higher than the rear... lowering the front will bring back the Jag stance.. thanks..

Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

For the rear, I had this out of the box idea. Would I or even can I do it. resounding no.

Cut the points where the rear cage and the body meet. Move them up into the body.
In essence, the body is lower on the suspension than it was. In olden days, known as
"channeled". Majot mod not for a pristine car. For a lesser one, perhaps.

When I built my "Hot Rod of the Forties" I reverted to some of the lowering techniques of the era. Z'd rear frame. Reversed spring eyes. Spring leaf removal.
dropped axle. Smaller wheels.

Cutting a coil or a bit more off a front suspension can work just fine. Cut with a cut off wheel, not a torch!!!

Application of a lot of heat to a coil in situ will collapse it. The car will be lower. But,
spring tension is gone, and a rider like a "buck board" will result.

At one time front "uprights" were modified The spindles, axle shafts were mounted higher on the vertical. The two piece Jaguar unit seem to lend itself to that technique.

CAVEAT. If not done just right, horrible things can happen.

Carl

jshedd00 (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

what about flipping the front knuckle? like taking the right side and putting it upside down on the left side? are the ball joints the same size? that would give about an inch of lowering without changing the spring or suspension characteristics

Old 12-09-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
For the rear, I had this out of the box idea. Would I or even can I do it. resounding no.

Cut the points where the rear cage and the body meet. Move them up into the body.
In essence, the body is lower on the suspension than it was. In olden days, known as
"channeled". Majot mod not for a pristine car. For a lesser one, perhaps.

When I built my "Hot Rod of the Forties" I reverted to some of the lowering techniques of the era. Z'd rear frame. Reversed spring eyes. Spring leaf removal.
dropped axle. Smaller wheels.

Cutting a coil or a bit more off a front suspension can work just fine. Cut with a cut off wheel, not a torch!!!

Application of a lot of heat to a coil in situ will collapse it. The car will be lower. But,
spring tension is gone, and a rider like a "buck board" will result.

At one time front "uprights" were modified The spindles, axle shafts were mounted higher on the vertical. The two piece Jaguar unit seem to lend itself to that technique.

CAVEAT. If not done just right, horrible things can happen.

Carl
I think I will try the spacers first. If that isn't low enough I will cut back the springs.. thanks for the advice.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sunchip
what about flipping the front knuckle? like taking the right side and putting it upside down on the left side? are the ball joints the same size? that would give about an inch of lowering without changing the spring or suspension characteristics
Have you tried that on a Series 1 or 2?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Low like this... Requires lots of cutting, welding and fabrication.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xstart...7628118523259/

Fronts are easy, For a slight lowering the rear will requires cutting the springs. But you can only go so far as the drive shaft is the upper control arm and has to be nearly parallel to the ground plain or the U-joint will die quickly. Also the shocks are small and have limited travel.
No, not lowered like that... just 4" in the front end. The V8 is lighter and the front end needs to come down to get back to original stance.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Nit picking. It is actually raising the suspension in to the body as opposed to lowering the suspension away from the body.

Tire profile and how they fill the wheel wells is subjective lowering. It looks right.
But, of course, the "big wheels" are counter productive to the low "look".

These comments are appearance based only. And nothing to do with ride or handling.
A field to itself.

Carl

Old 12-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I lowered mine just a little bit, little less than 2 inches using King springs. They are an Aussie Co. King Springs Automotive Aftermarket Springs I like the way it looks and rides.

Getting the front springs out is tricky. If you don't have the proper spring compressor, you can us a set of 4 threaded rods to slowly lower the spring
plates with the car jacked up quite high

You have to replace the bolts holding the spring plate ONE AT A TIME, with a piece of 3/8 - 24 threaded rod and a nut to hold the plate in place. I found some grade 8 rod on the net. Once all 4 rods are in place unscrew the nuts on each of the 4 legs a little at a time so the plate comes down evenly. Takes around an hour per spring to replace them.

Take your time, springs are under tremendous load.

Rear springs are a little easier just follow any shop manual. If you don't have a spring compressor, you can remove the coil overs as a unit and take them to a local shop that can R&R the springs.

Steve

anjum (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

That front height is perfect to me Steve!
So, does the ser 1 hood and bumper directly fit on the ser2 xjc?

Old 12-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Slofut,

It requires a little more work than that. The S2 bumper shock absorber/hood hinge assemblies have to be removed. The shock absorber units slide out of the open end of the frame rail and are replace with S1 rigid bumper brackets as shown still installed in the S1 below.

Once you remove the assemblies from the S1, you can slide them into the S2. They are pinned in place with 3 bolts on each frame rail. Then you need to swap both fenders, hood, lower valance and bumper. The S2 fenders have a slightly different shape than the S1 and the front directional/parking light arrangement is different. The S2 has the parking lights in the bumper and the S1 has them in the fender. The wiring harness is compatible to both. Getting everything to line up is a project in itself, but with patience it can be accomplished. I think the S1 as Lyons designed it looks far better than the S2 or S3. The US safety regulations really didn't work well with the XJ6 design.

Steve

The following 2 users liked this post by steve_schmidt:
Roger Mabry (08-15-2017), slofut (08-19-2017)