Sponsored by:

Fuel system help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts
Default RE: Fuel system help

hi,

in the Series 3 XJ-6, (up to 1987), starving the engine of fuel is done on purpose in order to de-pressurize the fuel system when it needs to be opened to atmosphere, for example, when replacing any fuel system component like the fuel pump, tank, fuel injectors, fuel regulator, etc.Starving the engine of fuel is done by disconnecting the Inertia Fuel Cuttoff Switch, and running the engine until it simply shuts off itself for lack of fuel.

More or less that's what you did not intentionally. But you have a Series 4 XJ-6.

You need to find out if your model has a Inertia Fuel Cutoff Switch, and if so, find out where it is, in order to check if it has tripped. This IFCS stops the flow of gasoline in a crash or flipover, to prevent fire. They also tripp sometimes, cutting off the gasoline flow, just like an electrical panel tripper cuts off the electricity when they tripp because of some overload.

To check this switch, you simply press the button on the top of the switch case. If it clicks when pressing it down, it was tripped. If it feels springy and no clicking, the switch is not tripped, and this means the problem is elsewhere.

I am not familiar with the 1992 model, only the Series 3 and earlier Jaguar.

As a long time Jaguar owner and enthusiast, I recommend you invest in a Factory Service Manual CD which costs around $50. Very handy to have.

check these sites for the CD:

http://www.lbcarco.com

http://www.jaggraveyard.com

http://www.jdht.com (this is the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, in the UK, where you can also order a Certificate showing the Build Date of your car and other factory information).

Hope this helps somewhat. Otherwise I'm sure someone with a similar model will come and try to help.

Last edited by Jose; 08-05-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Fuel system help

You have a lot more diagnostic work to do. Do you know if the pump is working? Do you have spark? Lot's of places to go here.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passenger side fuel tank leak

I remember some info on this common problem but cant find it. I do have this leak when both tanks are full........I find puddles of gas under the passenger side tank.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

you need to remove the quarter panel under the tank. Did you buy a Shop Manual already?
the procedure is there. Lengthy job. The panel is held under the side bumper and under the rear body. you'll need a #3 screwdriver which is NOT a phillips, it's a pozi-drive.

Once the quarter panel is off, you can see where it is leaking. It is either leaking at the seams or at the bottom drain bolt gasket.

Jose

Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Yes I do have a shop manual. The book, I like books better than cds. Thanks Jose.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM

The system equalizer (?) beside the fuel filter (early 1987 xj6) has been making noise, it is supported only by the hoses coming from the pump and into the filter, it has three nozzles one on top and two down the sides. I took the unit out and cleaned it and blew air through it, the bottom fitting has a spring operated valve of some sort,this is where the noise is coming from, my question is " can I restore this small part ?",
( it is not available anymore.)
The car still runs great but I would like to fix the noise, it is only evident when the key is turned to ignition on, but cannot be heard when car is started. Can it be taken apart and fixed and if not should I be worried that it could seize up and fail to deliver fuel from the pump to the filter
While I have your attention, I also have a sunroof that was working well until my children decided to stand up on the arm rest lean on the open sunroof and wave to their friends after which the system failed to operate, I've accessed the motor and tried turning the stud to no avail, the problem seems to be on the sunroof itself, as though the cable has somehow dislodged itself, I've been told that I must remove the head liner and rear seat in order to access the operating cable or mechanism, my question here is " are there any shortcuts you can recommend "
Most sincerely, D.Bowdler

Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by D.Bowdler
The system equalizer (?) beside the fuel filter (early 1987 xj6) has been making noise, it is supported only by the hoses coming from the pump and into the filter, it has three nozzles one on top and two down the sides. I took the unit out and cleaned it and blew air through it, the bottom fitting has a spring operated valve of some sort,this is where the noise is coming from, my question is " can I restore this small part ?",
( it is not available anymore.)
The car still runs great but I would like to fix the noise, it is only evident when the key is turned to ignition on, but cannot be heard when car is started. Can it be taken apart and fixed and if not should I be worried that it could seize up and fail to deliver fuel from the pump to the filter
While I have your attention, I also have a sunroof that was working well until my children decided to stand up on the arm rest lean on the open sunroof and wave to their friends after which the system failed to operate, I've accessed the motor and tried turning the stud to no avail, the problem seems to be on the sunroof itself, as though the cable has somehow dislodged itself, I've been told that I must remove the head liner and rear seat in order to access the operating cable or mechanism, my question here is " are there any shortcuts you can recommend " Most sincerely, D.Bowdler
hi,
is the car an early XJ-40? or a 1987 Series 3 XJ-6? a picture would help help you.

if it is a Series 3, you do not have to remove the headliner, the sunroof's cables-to-motor connection is behind the rear seat Back, easy to get to, just remove the seat first.

look for two screws in the front edge of the rear seat and remove those, then pull the seat up and out of the car; Once the seat cushion is out, look for two large screws at the bottom of the seat's Back and remove those; Now Pull the Back section UPWARDS to disengage it from its brackets, then pull it towards you to remove it from the car. (you might have to help the Back move upwards), you will then see the Sunroof Motor in the center and the geared cables.

there is a little crank tool provided by the factory in every Series 3 XJ that allows you to manually crank the sunroof open or closed from the trunk/boot in the event the sunroof motor fails. But these motors rarely fail, I would check the fuse first. (see picture of tool below, check your glove compartment for it, and if not there, check in the boot/trunk behind the square removable panel/card mounted left-to-right with 2 black plastic screws, some XJ came from the factory with this tool attached with a vinyl tie next to the sunroof motor, also if your car came with a Tool Kit, the crank tool would be in it).

as to the fuel system part you say is not available, do you have a Part Number? Again, if it is a Series 3, chances are the parts are available.

Attached Thumbnails  Fuel system help-sunroof-tool.jpg    Fuel system help-xj-toolkit-c.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 08-05-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Default Update

Hello Jose
I tried e'mailing directly to the Jag Forum but the note with attachments failed to go through to the address I have for you.
I've tried and failed also to download a photo of the car and the unit in question, to this reply as well.
The car is an early 87, 4 door, fuel injection, XJ6 Sovereign 4.2 built in January of 87 so is same as an 86.
The unit between fuel filter and fuel pump looks to be brass with three valve connections, the unit is hollow the top valve unscrews from the unit (7/8th thread) middle valve is fixed and the lower valve unscrews (7/16th thread) and all but the lower valve are free flowing, the lower seems to have a butterfly valve and spring incorporated into it, it is this (lower valve) that is producing the noise and I would like to replace or repair if possible.

In regards to the sunroof I have checked before and the motor is fine, I need to know if the cabling is only at the motor, as I said, the problem occurred after the kids pushed the roof further open (manually) thus dislodging the cable, if all cable connections are at the motor then I will not hesitate to remove the seat and reconnect, I'm concerned that the cable may have dislodged at the sunroof which would necessitate the removal of the head liner!!
I cannot find any diagrams of the cabling system for reference .

I will try again to attach a photo of the car and the unit in question to this response but it would seem as though the attachment will not attach.

I apologize for my lack of computer skills.
Most sincerely
D.Bowdler