Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heating and Ventilation System help pls

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:47 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Heating and Ventilation System help pls

Hey,
Is anyone familiar with the big ventilation box that controls the air flow and heating in series 2 cars? basically, i want to remove the necessity for vacuum control in my series 1, seems too complex to use vacuum to open some flaps.

I have a series 1, the manual indicates that is uses a series of vacuum tubes to control the volume, direction and the temperature of air.

The manual goes on to say that series 2 cars have vacuum AND mechanical linkages.

Can anyone confirm whether series 2 cars will operate completely WITHOUT vacuum?
if so i might hunt down a series 2 ventilation system and swap it in.

Also, I have a rust problem in the air intake vent, can i get to that from inside the car behind the ventilation box?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

A Series II will have the Delanair MkII Climate Control. This system relies heavily on vacuum operation. The defroster flaps, central a/c outlet flap, recirculation flaps, and heater valve are all vacuum operated.

I can't see any practical way to operated such a system without vacuum actuators

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
roadster1929 (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I think the Series 1 climate system is closer to the system of the Jaguar MK-X, 420-G, S type of 1963-1968, and the Jaguar 420 of 1966-1968, which are also vacuum-dependent and only a few details are mechanical. But even those models are also dependent on vacuum.

there is little documentation for the 420 system being that it was only made for 2 years, but it is very similar to the system in the S type of the same period.

you might ask George Camp in the MK-2 / S type forum since he is more familiar with those systems.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

I have attached a .jpg of the heater controls that use vacuum. I have eliminated #4, #5 and #3 so far.. #1 has been changed to a brass type control that still uses vacuum, it can be changed to one that is driven by a motor. The vacuum is only a problem due to the plastic nipples that Jag used - they can be repaired with brass tubing.. plus the need for very soft tubing of the correct sizes.

These are all located behind the radio except for #5 which is behind the engine.. I just installed one of these electronic water valves on a Jaguar 6 engine and it fits with the use of a 90 degree 5/8" water hose.

Improving the heating/AC on the S1 can be done easily enough, but installing the later system is not the answer and it would take a new console and dash redo to have the needed room.

The other pieces are the source valve and vacuum reservoir located on the firewall.

Having had a SII, I sure would not want to go that direction as the complexity is GREAT and you "gain" climate control which means the car cycles the AC/Heat to give you the desired temp... a early Jaguar attempt at creature comfort..the Series 1 system modernized is as good and easy to keep working and much cheaper.

Attached Thumbnails Heating and Ventilation System help pls-vacuum-controlled-items.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-14-2017 at 08:59 AM.