Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hella intermittent switch 001871041

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Hella intermittent switch 001871041

Have had zero luck making the switch do anything like a "delay". This Hella unit is supposed to work with a switch that Parks like the Jaguar.

Followed the Hella instructions, used the test light to determine which wire(s) were the brightest - there were two - Green and Green/Blue. I tried hooking up the to wires the relay terminals 53M and 53S to those two wires at different times.. both would blow the fuse after using the wipers for about 30 seconds. But no delay was detected. I used the #1 method in the Hella pictures.

I then found another hookup method - "Simple Style" on another Forum. I tried this method.. using the Red/Light Green wire for 53M and 53S and getting the power off 15 from the White/Green wire on the switch... nothing happened. This method was supposed to work leaving the dash wiper switch OFF and using the Hella switch for the delay and Off/On... it did nothing. The wipers worked just perfectly in a normal manner.

Does anyone know how to test the Hella relay to see if it is actually doing a delay? I attached the Simple Style hookup so anyone can see the Hella hookup wires. I also included the Hella instructions and hookup. I assume with 12V and a ground something is supposed to happen - voltage change or resistance?

Someone must know how this is supposed to work to be able to test if it is OK? HELP!

Attached Thumbnails Hella intermittent switch 001871041-hella-instructions.jpg   Hella intermittent switch 001871041-hella-wiper-control.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Interceptor and Hella.docx (35.7 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 04-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Default Hella relay actually making noises and changes with delay

With the relay lead powered and a ground, the Hella relay makes a "click" when the key is turned on.

Then the noises from inside the relay body vary with the time delay selected on the Hella switch knob... so the relay itself is working.

But, the wiring hookup to the Jaguar switch is the problem... it is on the way it last worked before rebuilding the wiper motor with new brushes. But,
wiper motor works perfectly... or as good as it ever did and is correct with the speeds from the Jag SM.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Default More info

With only five actual different wires, I would think this should be possible to be made to work. The Green wire from the fuse is "looped" to another pin,
the White/Light Green wire is also "looped" onto another pin. The Green is hot and the Blue/Green wire is hot with the switch On.

I plan to test the Hella switch today with it's two Black wires hooked up to the Jaguar switch on the switch Black wire and it's pin. Maybe delaying the ground will make it work? I have tried the Red/Light Green wire for the Low Speed and the Blue/Light Green wire for the High speed... no change at all. I hooked the one Hella connection (two wires) to the Green wire with the same result. I believe I tried the White/Green wire as well.. some of these connections blow the wiper fuse after running the wipers for about 30 seconds.

The Jaguar wiring for the switch and the Lucas 16W motor is attached... it is located in the upper right hand corner. Note all six of the pins on the switch... even the XKE wiper switch only has (4) four pins... probably does not Park?

Attached Thumbnails Hella intermittent switch 001871041-later-diagram-01.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-03-2016 at 12:04 PM.