Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's what to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Here's what to do

The purest will not agree, but this looks fun .
and respectable power for the boost level too, NICE
warning this car looks sinister !
here's what to do ->

The following 3 users liked this post by Datsports:
andys-GR (09-11-2018), level 1 (09-24-2018), yachtmanbuttson (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ugh, too much Hooligan palavar, and not enough of a look under the bonnet !!!

Carl

Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 624 Likes on 321 Posts

I agree with Carl. It would have been great to gets some more details on the turbo installation and tuning and less drifting. I wonder how the long term durability of a turbo boosted 4.2L would be. He was talking some very attractive numbers for HP and especially torque. I believe he said over 400 pounds of torque- that's going to take a beefy transmission.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
I agree with Carl. It would have been great to gets some more details on the turbo installation and tuning and less drifting. I wonder how the long term durability of a turbo boosted 4.2L would be. He was talking some very attractive numbers for HP and especially torque. I believe he said over 400 pounds of torque- that's going to take a beefy transmission.
i enjoyed both the look around the car, and the drifting , and thought that was a detailed look at the engine bay and turbo set up,
also . and clearly states how they set it up . nice basic build .
xcessive (no not a miss spell) who owns the car also sells the gearbox conversion for a nissan ZX VG gear box . .
and other variouse parts , not just for the jag . so yes the gear box is stout .
https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/jaguar.html

Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,946 Likes on 5,293 Posts

Well done.
*Luv* the power, but I was never a fan of drifting. I understand it takes a measure of skill to do "correctly" but it seems a complete waste of time that could be better spent blowing doors off lesser vehicles on the road or track.
(';')

Old 09-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

It's all good. Drift as I see it is a presentation of vehicle and driver competence.

The term "four wheel drift" is related to going fast, in a turn.

I'm a fan of dirt tracks. Way the h... back. I did a bit of junk racing on a desert track. It was not long til I realized I and my car were severely outclassed!! "backing it in" not among what I had. The technique of off power, a tick of the steering wheel to cause the tail to go right on an left turn track. Then power on, aligning the car for the nest straight.

A couple of decades later, a friend was in to slot car racing. He was a more than adequate dirt track driver. Super fast reflexes. Same technique on the slot track. On/off as the turn came up. Miss and off the track. Hit and set for the straight. A flick mf the thumb on the controller. I just a nanosecond slow on some. Fast, but not fast enough.

Decades later, I dear departed and daughter in our FJ40. I at the wheel. From mymleft a glimpse of a pedestrian stepping off the walk in front of us.

Quick twist right and then left of the wheel. Just enough to miss the pedestrian and not go into the lane to the right!! Not enough time to see if space was available there, Ladies impressed !!!

Carl

Old 09-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear from Elinor as stuff is going on up their way,,,

Carl

Old 09-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
It's all good. Drift as I see it is a presentation of vehicle and driver competence.

The term "four wheel drift" is related to going fast, in a turn.

I'm a fan of dirt tracks. Way the h... back. I did a bit of junk racing on a desert track. It was not long til I realized I and my car were severely outclassed!! "backing it in" not among what I had. The technique of off power, a tick of the steering wheel to cause the tail to go right on an left turn track. Then power on, aligning the car for the nest straight.

Carl
Warning: Major Hijacking!!
You're getting me going this morning, Carl! A thing of beauty to handle a sliding car. Whether it be drifting, dirt track, snow/ice or any other. The technique, as Carl mentions is to flick a bit to the right, using the momentum of the car vs. the banking of the track to "catch" it. Then a slight countersteer as the torque of the rear wheels have now essentially taken over the driving. Steering is nearly an afterthought at this point. Beware of slick spots! They'll snap the rear out of sorts quickly and destroy all forward momentum. Sounds simple enough until you throw 20 other "amateur" drivers on the 1/4 mile track with you! That's when you quickly learn that anything that happens is 50% your own fault for being on the track with the other "drivers".
Here's me circa 2003 in my little green 10 Malibu, leading the pack out of turn 2:

Don't mind the crooked front bumper. Introduced to the frontstretch wall on the car's maiden voyage. Broken steering u-joint. Never did get it straight. Did sit parallel with the track when cornering, though.
Note the lack of sponsorships. I didn't believe in taking other peoples' money to feed my addiction. Won many a races with that hot rod. Yes, they run better when they're bent.

Looks pretty crude compared to our refined Jaguars. Learned a lot, though. Used the money from selling the car to buy the Jag. Trade one addiction for another! History of moronthethrottle...

Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks.

Way beyond my track "accomplishments". My first dirt tracker. A derelict 30 ford roadster with a "B" four banger. Alas, the B ate the A trans!!! Next up a 34 coupe powered by a "sick" 41 V8. A finish h was a victory !!

The track Hot dog ran alternate cars. One, A shortened circa 40's Ford chassis with a n A roadster body glompted on top. 00 his number. The "good" one, a 34 Chev coupe chopped into a roadster and a Edelbrock Mercury V8. super hot. And "Hoppy": could drive it. Only one or two others could run with him.

Time for me to leave the field !!
Carl

The following users liked this post:
moronthethrottle (09-13-2018)