XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiss in the vents, Loss of Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hiss in the vents, Loss of Acceleration

I have a hiss coming from my vents when I accelerate. This kills my acceleration. I believe It is a complex union that is leaking.
Ive heard a lot of these cars having this problem, but I can't find info as to what systems this connection is dealing with.

I can't tell if the vents smell like gas as the whole car smells like gas

On a side note. Anyone in the phoenix area know of a good parts location for xj6 S3 1983

Thanks
Tyler

Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwiseman
I have a hiss coming from my vents when I accelerate. This kills my acceleration. I believe It is a complex union that is leaking. Ive heard a lot of these cars having this problem, but I can't find info as to what systems this connection is dealing with. I can't tell if the vents smell like gas as the whole car smells like gas On a side note. Anyone in the phoenix area know of a good parts location for xj6 S3 1983 Thanks Tyler
there are 1/8" plastic vacuum lines and "T" connections for these lines behind the dash, different colors, blue, black. They are visible if you remove the dash top. These vacuum lines connect to each blower case to open and close the fresh air/recirculation flaps, and they also connect to each vent solenoid to open and close each vent. There is a vacuum-hose check valve next to the battery by the firewall, it's plastic, black and white. Check if it's working and installed correctly, there is an "arrow" marking pointing to the inside of the car.

do you mean a Jaguar parts vendor in Phoenix or near Phoenix? Nearby you have Motorcars Ltd. in Texas. Huge Jaguar Parts Inventory

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems a bit extravagant for air vents....

Is there risk of damage if i let this go for a while. Im looking to do the dash/ignition switch/interior later.
Seems concerning with acceleration effects.

I'll check some lines though.

With the parts question, There are alot of shops/garages out here. I figure one has to have a jag boneyard.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I would figure out where the gas smell is coming from first... or you won't need to worry about the hissing sound. Went to check out an XJ6 with a friend and as soon as the owner started it up I smelled gas and popped the hood. Two of the injector lines were spraying gas all over the engine compartment. Obviously the test drive was cancelled.