Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Naa, what would be the point??

A person would be afraid to drive something you paid that much for no matter how pretty it is!

Jags were made to be Driven!
(';')

Old 06-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

A gorgeous car and well executed, sanitary conversion. But $103k ? Probably not repeatable.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default The record XJ6C......

This is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties. The car you mention was built using our Jag-LS conversion kit and related parts and the owner is actually a friend. I've seen the car in person several times and all I can say is the photos don't do it justice. The body is so straight and the paint is so deep you can look at it for an hour. And the performance was something else as well, but everyone already knows the LS engines make great power.

When a body shop owner builds a car for himself (4 years ago), you know nothing but the best of everything goes into it. In the time since it was finished (probably 3 years ago) it spent many weekends wowing the local "coffee and cruise" car get togethers in the LA area. What was great about that is that the design appealed to nearly everyone- you had owners of very basic cars all the way up to the high end collectors eye popping over it. It was great advertising for his body shop and their capabilities. They do a lot of higher end specialty work. For example, a Ferrari Daytona coupe they painted sold for some $760k last summer at one of the Monterey auctions and they currently have a tank stripped, nut and bolt Shelby GT350 restoration under way, among other interesting work. I just like calling to check in occasionally to see what they're working on.

Is this sort of value repeatable? Maybe, or maybe not, but even if the next one sells for say $50k, that's still 3-4 times what we've seen any XJ coupe (stock or converted) sell for, in any condition. Even the very rare XJ12C's don't fetch this kind of money. These are popular cars and there are still a remarkable number of them out there (I've helped a couple dozen coupe customers over the years get the cars squared away, so I've become very familiar with what goes into them). Maybe we're on the upswing of a popularity contest here???

One thing for sure- it certainly got me motivated to start making progress on my own LS powered XJ6C, still sitting in my shop....

My $.02

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

PS- He's just starting to work on a convertible XJ6C, built by Straman in the 80's. That's supposed to get LS power too.....

PSS- Did anyone notice the 9 XJ coupes for sale a few months ago:

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/02/01/...-xj6c-friends/

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 06-10-2017 at 10:17 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
Doug (06-10-2017), LnrB (06-10-2017), ronbros (06-10-2017), slofut (06-12-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Andrew:

Wow!!!! Get yours on the forum, so we can drool even more,

Regards.

Carl

Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

yes I noticed the 9 other coupes for sale; what happened to them.

geneo

Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

now i really fell down.

in 2010 had a genuine JAGUAR XJ12C , 4 speed manual , genuine Jaguar SPLINE drive wheels with left and right threaded 2 prong knock off HUBS!

4 new Michleons but old from setting around!

engine fresh rebuild V12 engine , and complete rebuild of rear with 3.54 gears LSD.
maybe 3K miles.

the car was given to me with clear signed title,NO CHARGE,NO MONEY!

car wouldnt run , Opus box changed, ran perfect, V12 with manual is a thing to behold!

BUTT, and it was a big one lot of rust, and interior needed work!

OK why did OP owner give it away, his wife was bitching about so much money was spent on it, didnt run, nobody local would work on V12 jags, (without a lot of upfront money, and NO guarentee it would run properly anyway).

so i was at a local show , he OP seen my XJS , said he would give me another Jag FOR NOTHING, got a rollback truck guy , $100.bucks , set it off in my driveway!

OK YES i had a bit of Luck, but a guy from Hiawaii offerd $6500. cash on the spot, called Reliable transit and off to Longbeach, then to Mahu HI.

all of a sudden these silly coupes are skyrocketing up in value, whodah thought!

you win and you lose in just a breath!

pix of engine on stand, OP gave to me , show it was a true rebuild, and the car.

Attached Thumbnails Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!-jag-75_0003.jpg   Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!-jag-75_0002.jpg   Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!-jag-engine-75.jpg   Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!-1975-jag-xj12c-003.jpg   Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!-1975-jag-xj12c-007.jpg  

Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!-1975-jag-xj12c-010.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 06-10-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Ya know... 100k+ for a VW 23 window van (I don't care if it had 40 windows!), same for a vintage beetle. If I had that kind of play money to spend, I'd definitely buy this car instead. Knowing them intimately, if the fuel system is sorted and actually works long term, and the delinaire has been ditched for a new Classic Air, this would be one hell of a fantastic car to drive. And yes, I'd rather have the LSx than the v12 or the 6 but with a t56. It's about time an xjc sold like this.

Andrew, do you know if the car was lowered in the rear? And if so, how?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

It's a great looking car but there are some obvious mechanical and electrical shortcomings and a few downright inaccuracies.

The listing claims Bilstein shock front and rear, the rears are clearly newer KYB. The car has 6 dampers and just 2 are Bilstein. How does a build of this quality manage this type of error. Were the Bilsteins not available at the time? Probably not the case. Too pricey? I Don't get this one.

The instrumentation is not Smiths as detailed in the Auction. They are clearly Series 3 Veglia gauges and didnt come with the car. I hope this is not what the mileage claims are based on.

The Compressor, reciever/drier and condenser are from the donor car the but the evaporator appears OE and unless it's been filled with R12 it will have substandard cooling. Those OE flare fittings on the evaporator leak like siv with R134a.

Nothing wrong with Veglia Gauges or KYB Shocks but these kind of obvious inaccuracies make me wonder about the veracity of other details.

Lots of original wiring remains. On a build this nice it all should have been replaced with new copper.

Fuses for the head lights are still hung out on top of the radiator support and uncovered. A notoriously bad spot for them and I doubt they will be trouble free for any amount of time.

Car seems to have some oil leaks. Clear evidence of burned oil blown back on the H pipe and the diff appears to be leaking too.

1/2 of the air cleaner is either partially blocked on the bottom by the radiator support or taking in hot air from the engine compartment.

Odd that it has a LS1 from a Trans Am but has Corvette covers. They could have been refinished.

LS power on those skinny 205 tires and 6 inch wide wheels is kind of comical. I love the 1 wheel burn out picture. The XJS 3.54 diff is called limited slip but it is low bias and has almost no slip limiting ability.

Obvious in three pictures that the trunk doesn't fit well in that it protrudes about 3/8's of an inch past the fender on the right hand side. Despite the judicious use of blur its still clear to see.

Two sets of reverts lights... I wonder which ones work?
Bumper uprights which partially block the tail lamps looks odd to me.

The import "Racing" style halo head lamps look too boy racer to me. The Hella 7 inch which are made in Germany are a good choice too.

Whoever did that paint and interior is a pro and these aspects represent a high level of craftsmanship. Whoever did the photography is a genius. The rest of the car is rather average maybe above average but with many short cuts.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-12-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:44 PM

The plastic corvette coil covers are a universal fit for all ls1 motors and snap on/off, get 'em on ebay etc...
And I do agree with most of your points ICS, seems a little suspicious. It should be 100% for that money. And the MAF sensor being that close to the throttle body may not work properly, may be running in open loop. Although I can see really big money in the paint and leather/carpets and it is a damn nice car, normally you'd never get your money back for that kind of paint and interior in an xjc. I do wish it were mine...

Last edited by slofut; 06-12-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

At least the opening statement acknowledges that it's a heavily modified example, so not one for purists. Referring to the instruments as Smiths is just a lazy assumption, but then most commentaries / critiques of cars hide much behind journalistic license which never let's the facts get in the way of creating an impression.

The tail lights are S3 which were never designed or intended to sit behind ROW spec S2 bumpers with overriders. Great bumper, but it makes the lights look plain wrong, would have been better to retain S2 lights. The front bumper with the small bullet overriders should have rubber bumps on them, they may have been omitted intentionally but to me it looks unfinished without them. The S3 grille however does work.

IMO the wheels look right. Anything fatter would spin the car into boy racer territory.

Beyond that, the mods are obviously so deep it would drive you crazy trying to analyse / criticize every possible element of the car since no part of it appears to have missed the customizers hand.

Regardless of it all, I'd love to see in my garage and I'm sure the new owner is proud as punch with his new $103k acquisition!

Old 06-13-2017, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Naa, what would be the point??

A person would be afraid to drive something you paid that much for no matter how pretty it is!

Jags were made to be Driven!
(';')
& I'd still drive the wheels off it! Money's just money, until it gets turned into something fun. & that car's way too much fun to worry about how much it cost!
PS If I had the resources, & was in the U.S., I'd have bid that car higher!

Last edited by scatcat; 06-13-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Default That XJ6C

Well the wires are certainly buzzing on this one (cute nostalgic reference, no??)

In the grand scheme of things, this car is really head and shoulders above most of its contemporaries. Perhaps not concours but then again this isn't a trailer queen either- it's meant to be driven. So from that respect, the price, though high compared to other Jags we've seen, is not that unreasonable. There's a huge amount of labor here, particularly in the cosmetics, and that's what gets your attention. And then the power seals the deal.

Yes, the car's been lowered- it's running a set of lowered (from the supplier) King springs from Australia (the brilliant yellow ones). You can find them on Ebay Australia. Not that cheap but they work well.

My phone has certainly been ringing on this one. What will be interesting is if this sale translates into any movement in XJcoupe values or visibility out there... So far it's just a data point, not a trend..

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

The following 3 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
Doug (06-13-2017), ronbros (06-13-2017), slofut (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew:

Slick nostalgic reference. I had to laugh. As I and others are beginning to realize, the wires are on the way out. Air waves taking over. Many homes and businesses have no land lines. Cell is it!!! My kids among them. Urging me to do like wise.

OTH, I would like the return of Ma Bell. Simple and utterly reliable...

As to the car, a master piece. If by some unfathomable miracle, it came to my garage, I'd not only admire it, I'd drive it, a lot.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Compared to this car the Blue one was cobbled together.

https://tinyurl.com/ybcs2b8n

This Coupe is nice and done to a much higher level. I do like the color and trim choices on the LA car though. I think that's where the value came from the new owner wont "get" the rest. So clearly color choice, trim and paint finish very very much matter.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-13-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Default That other coupe.....

Actually, I stumbled onto the Retropower car a while back and they actually got in touch with me wanting some info on how to finish the LS installation. We talked a bit, but they're not like a typical shop I work with- from what I recall they don't do anything twice, and weren't interested in referral business along these lines either... I never heard if the car ever got running....

And I'm sure the price on that one would have been several times the blue one......

So now that we know what color combo XJ6C sells for big bucks......

Old 06-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Default Where is it going????

Just to make you wonder a bit more, the car is going back to the UK......

Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

My European mind says: "Don't like it"....semi-gloss finish, everything modified, Chevy engine coming from a Trans-Am, but saying "Corvette"
....nah....not my kind of car...

Last edited by Dutch-Cat; 06-14-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Napoleon Solo (06-16-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Compared to this car the Blue one was cobbled together.

https://tinyurl.com/ybcs2b8n

This Coupe is nice and done to a much higher level. I do like the color and trim choices on the LA car though. I think that's where the value came from the new owner wont "get" the rest. So clearly color choice, trim and paint finish very very much matter.
Wow, that's nice! Love the door panels, the blue car has much nicer seats.

ronbros (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

The difference between TransAm and Coervette Ccorvette as to the Ls engine is on;ly the Coil Ccovers. Apology, the delete key is on strikwe.

To each his owen!!!

Carlr

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Dutch-Cat (06-14-2017), ronbros (06-14-2017)