XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Sheet! Record money xjc!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

It's not "grouse" and its not been "pulled down". With this type of over the top rhetoric you only diminish yourself. I dont see how you could call a fitting tribute to Sir Williams Lyons original design esthetic gross. That , the LS and paint work clearly raised this car up to a high level.

There are aspects of the car what are well done and some short cuts were taken. Understandable because, before this lightning strike, putting money into one of these cars was not considered prudent.

I get Andews point and he's right on. He's basically saying anyone with a mechanical skills, time and who has access to a good paint and trim shop could replicate this car. There is no fabrication, high end one off parts or anything used on this car that couldn't be purchased on ebay and bolted on. Maybe that's the secret sauce, not over doing it.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-22-2017 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ronbros (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default An update...

ICS- thanks for that. Indeed that was my point. A similar car could be built with practical means.

Additionally, I wanted to update you all on the sale. The payment to the seller was received earlier this week (all $103K by bank wire transfer) and the car will go to the customs broker/freight forwarder (to be readied for shipment to the UK) early next week.

My customer (we've become more like friends since the build) is a little sad to see it go.......

As a side note, there were actually 2 other high bidders right to the end of the auction (one at $101k and another at $96k) who came away disappointed at not winning. I wonder if we'll be hearing from them within the Jag network- maybe one or both might commission some builder to put together a similar coupe to their specs...

ronbros (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
There is no fabrication, high end one off parts or anything used on this car that couldn't be purchased on ebay and bolted on. Maybe that's the secret sauce, not over doing it.
As far as value and ease of selling, "not over doing it" is a good idea. A highly customized car is less likely to appeal to the tastes of others. As modified cars go, the car in question is conservatively executed in both mechanicals and aesthetics

Cheers
DD

ronbros (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

or being jealous,"a fool and his money are soon parted"

actually anyone who can spend $103K is more than a fool tho, but not a technician.

guys lets be honest here,, anyone that can afford to spend thet much ,does not do his own work, Bettin he cant even change his oil.

probably goin to China, thru UK banking systems!

Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

It's not "grouse" and its not been "pulled down". With this type of over the top rhetoric you only diminish yourself. I dont see how you could call a fitting tribute to Sir Williams Lyons original design esthetic gross. That , the LS and paint work clearly raised this car up to a high level.

There are aspects of the car what are well done and some short cuts were taken. Understandable because, before this lightning strike, putting money into one of these cars was not considered prudent.

I get Andews point and he's right on. He's basically saying anyone with a mechanical skills, time and who has access to a good paint and trim shop could replicate this car. There is no fabrication, high end one off parts or anything used on this car that couldn't be purchased on ebay and bolted on. Maybe that's the secret sauce, not over doing it.
Diminished? Before jumping to conclusions, understand we have here a case of local vernacular not translating well. On this side of the Pacific "grouse" means sensational / spectacular etc. It does NOT mean gross!

"Pulled down" is neither derogatory nor "over the top rhetoric" as you put it. It's a term (that at least some of us) use to describe "stripping" or "disassembling" which this car has experienced in appropriate proportions to enable the work to be carried out in the modification / customization (call it what you will). I'm also the first to agree the end result has enhanced the car overall, I'd love to own it. My only niggle concerned certain descriptions as previously stated.

Last edited by jagent; 06-22-2017 at 05:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagent:
ronbros (06-22-2017), slofut (06-25-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

It's not "grouse" and its not been "pulled down". With this type of over the top rhetoric you only diminish yourself.
How do you know it's not "grouse"? Grouse is an Aussie slang term I doubt you're familiar with, & therefore wouldn't know the parameters of it's definition. You probably think it's something to do with ground birds!
We are disagreeing about semantics. Words whose definitions have varied meanings in different parts of the World. & seeing as this IS an international forum, no matter how US centric it tries to be, I think such "discussions" are quite pointless, which is why this is the last I'll be commenting on it.
Nice car, really well done. I wish it was mine, or at the very least, that I had a lazy $120K to drive the bidding higher.