XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do these old Jags handle 10% Ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do these old Jags handle 10% Ethanol?

In the U.S. It's pretty difficult to get gasoline without at least 10% ethanol in it. There are stations that serve ethanol free gas but they are somewhat rare. Even stations that have ethanol free gas usually limit it to "premium / high octane".

Has anyone had any problems with 10% ethanol in their classic Jags?

Any modifications needed to run it successfully?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Just my opinion. I wouldnt put any % of ethanol in a pre 90's car (I have 3) . The rubbers , seals etc werent designed with that in mind and have already aged 30 years or more. I think its opens up a potential Pandoras Box of issues all along the fuel system.

I am sure others run on it probably OK, for me its just something I would rather avoid as these cars have enough quirks without trying to provoke anything. Easy for me to say though as ethanol fuel is not a major player in my market.

I tend to use BP Ultimate or Shell V Power (Optimax in some places). Octane rating is meaningless for my engines , but its ethanol free and has some marginal cleaning benefits (used to work for Shell). For the price difference and the amount of miles I do in these cars do I cant think of a reason not to use it.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Drove my '87 XJ6, '88 XJS, '95 XJR since 1997 on E10 with no problems of any kind, nor any modifications.

My soon-to-be-completed '85 Series III V12 will get the same. In my neck o' the woods E10 has been ubiquitous for 20+ years.

As far back as (at least) 1988 the Jaguar owners manuals specifically state that E10 is OK.

Cheers
DD

Grant Francis (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,833 Posts

the 3.8 liter engine in my 1965 S type runs fine with 87 octane.

Attached Thumbnails How do these old Jags handle 10% Ethanol?-1965-s-type.jpg  
Old 03-25-2017, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 791 Posts

It depends! If the car sits for weeks at a time your tanks and other components will rust from the inside out. The steel alloy Jaguar used rusts easily compared to modern rust resistant alloys used in modern tanks.

Ethanol can absorb water from the atmosphere. This is somewhat dependent on the time, humidity and condition of the seals on the fuel system in question.

If you keep the fuel moving and drive the vehicle often enough to require frequent refueling then these issues will be minimal.

Tech Article: The Ethanol Issue

The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Grant Francis (03-25-2017), ronbros (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Just my opinion. I wouldnt put any % of ethanol in a pre 90's car (I have 3) . The rubbers , seals etc werent designed with that in mind and have already aged 30 years or more. I think its opens up a potential Pandoras Box of issues all along the fuel system.

I am sure others run on it probably OK, for me its just something I would rather avoid as these cars have enough quirks without trying to provoke anything. Easy for me to say though as ethanol fuel is not a major player in my market.

I tend to use BP Ultimate or Shell V Power (Optimax in some places). Octane rating is meaningless for my engines , but its ethanol free and has some marginal cleaning benefits (used to work for Shell). For the price difference and the amount of miles I do in these cars do I cant think of a reason not to use it.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to know how Costco "top-tier" fuel may compare to shell?

Originally Posted by Doug
Drove my '87 XJ6, '88 XJS, '95 XJR since 1997 on E10 with no problems of any kind, nor any modifications.

My soon-to-be-completed '85 Series III V12 will get the same. In my neck o' the woods E10 has been ubiquitous for 20+ years.

As far back as (at least) 1988 the Jaguar owners manuals specifically state that E10 is OK.

Cheers
DD
That's encouraging! I didn't know Canada also does 10% ethanol, nice to know you've had long term experience with it.

Originally Posted by Jose
the 3.8 liter engine in my 1965 S type runs fine with 87 octane.
Sweet!

Originally Posted by icsamerica
It depends! If the car sits for weeks at a time your tanks and other components will rust from the inside out. The steel alloy Jaguar used rusts easily compared to modern rust resistant alloys used in modern tanks.

Ethanol can absorb water from the atmosphere. This is somewhat dependent on the time, humidity and condition of the seals on the fuel system in question.

If you keep the fuel moving and drive the vehicle often enough to require frequent refueling then these issues will be minimal.

Tech Article: The Ethanol Issue
I intend for my Jag to basically be a daily driver if at all possible. This means fuel will be constantly running through it and hopefully keeping things healthy.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for the link.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I've just returned from an extended trip to South America where in some areas E85 or E100 have been the norm for many decades, never mind just E10. I specifically asked about problems with cars that were left sitting without being used.

Suffice to say I repeatedly got a blank look- they had never heard of such a thing. Many of these cars are 70s and 80s vintage, some even earlier. Beware of the 'sky is falling' stories that people post. If you're curious I can once again post a pic looking inside the gas tank of my old Corvette that's had nothing but E10 since the mid 1990s and sits in storage for 6 months of the the year. It's spotless.

WRT to Top Tier gas, this is simply a marketing scheme guaranteeing that the fuel has 'X' level of additives. It has nothing to do with ethanol content or octane rating. Jag themselves do not make any recommendations about using Top Tier fuels, I guess the engines are not as fussy as some other brands.

Doug (04-04-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Theoretically fuels with more cleaners in are harder to combust, no? Unless the cleaners are combustible at equal or easier levels than the fuel itself.

Saying that, if the fuel is harder to combust, the more timing advance you can use, thus the more power. Premium fuel has less energy density than regular.

I know nothing about ethanol other than it burns cleaner than gas and removes carbon coaking from rich running engines. I thought it also suspended the water within the fuel rather than let the gas float on top of the water.

I run the V12 on regular 87 no name fuel.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are concerned about it, there are several places in the valley that sell non-ethanol gas.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by baudrate
If you are concerned about it, there are several places in the valley that sell non-ethanol gas.
That's true, but after reading this thread I'm not too concerned.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

"Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to know how Costco "top-tier" fuel may compare to shell?"

No idea, Costco dont do fuel in our market. They may tell you if you ask, they arent pretending to be an oil company so I guess they wouldnt be shy about saying whose product they distribute.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 86 S3 XJ6 runs fine on 10% ethanol...it has been my daily car for several years and I've never had any issues at all with using it.

Jim M.

The following 2 users liked this post by jmarkitell:
AccidentlyInLove (04-03-2017), Doug (04-04-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 3,859 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I have found this thread interesting and just read an article from the
Federal Chamber Of Automotive Industries which list each vehicle make and suitability.......they say that Jaguar:
All models post 1986 can use E5 or E10.

Whilst there's many views on this, my personal experience shows that my 1974 runs much better on 98.......or 95 if I can't get it.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Daf11e

Whilst there's many views on this, my personal experience shows that my 1974 runs much better on 98.......or 95 if I can't get it.
But that's octane rating, not ethanol content......

Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Sorry no ethanol in those fuels.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
But that's octane rating, not ethanol content......
Just how we refer to them here. People buy 91,95 or 98 (RON) all no ethanol. If ethanol e10 or e85 (which the turbo boys love).

There may be other ethanol choices , the availability/prevalence increases as you go North.

91 looks like going the way of the dodo soon

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
Daf11e (04-04-2017), MikeyB10 (06-30-2020)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:30 AM

Your right Steve I've only ever seen E10 which I am told is either 84 or 85 .

Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Just how we refer to them here. People buy 91,95 or 98 (RON) all no ethanol. If ethanol e10 or e85 (which the turbo boys love).
How confusing. Do the pumps specify ethanol free or do people just assume?

Most of the world specifies both the octane rating and ethanol content at the pump since the two parameters are unrelated. The OPs concern was that he, like many people in the US, can buy whatever octane they like but almost all fuels are E10.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I've just returned from an extended trip to South America where in some areas E85 or E100 have been the norm for many decades, never mind just E10. I specifically asked about problems with cars that were left sitting without being used.

Suffice to say I repeatedly got a blank look- they had never heard of such a thing. Many of these cars are 70s and 80s vintage, some even earlier. Beware of the 'sky is falling' stories that people post. If you're curious I can once again post a pic looking inside the gas tank of my old Corvette that's had nothing but E10 since the mid 1990s and sits in storage for 6 months of the the year. It's spotless.

As I imagine you've heard and experienced via Corvette associations the whole E10 thing has been blown totally out of proportion in the collector/specialty car world. I'm chest-deep in the that world....and have become a bit of a pariah because I won't jump on the bandwagon and summarily condemn E10 for every woe that befalls us

If ever there was a whipping post, it's E10 gasoline !

Cheers
DD

Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, here and there just a bit of truth as to the "awful E10" fuel. But, it's been around for decades and most critters in all areas do just fine on it. Just ain't worth getting antsy over it.

As to fuels. Most areas have a finite number of refineries. All the retail outlets, Costco
included buy their gas from them. Same basic fuels. But, some do have a "dedicated" additive package. Some dumped in from a container at the time the tanker truck is loaded for delivery!!

I think we have about three refineries around here. Most of the time, I buy "Shell".
Price is OK and outlet handy.

I've not had any critter issues that I can charge to bad fuel.

Passat project going well. Got the connector to the coil pack separated. It busted. Brittle. But WTH, the new pack has one on it!!!! Three spark plugs out. Fancy multi spark critters. Too much back on them. Over fuel or miss. I hope the latter and that my major ignition tune up fixes that. Oh, conventional one post plugs going in. Luckily, it seems the last guy in used antiseize. But, one plug was really tight, in my opinion, too much so.

But, wowee, daughter just latched on to a 2015 Nissan Net Zero!!! But, the Passat goes in as trade. Gotta get it together and hope I didn't make things worse!!!
Like not run atall!!!

Carl