Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a spinner!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default I got a spinner!!

Anyone got an easy fix for a lug nut that just spins!!! pretty sure the lug is spinning too as the nut is about half way off if i stick a small screwdriver behind nut i think i feel lug turning!!!

Thanks

Darren

Old 10-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

First you need to get the nut off. If there's room between the nut and the rim you might be able to get a needle nose vise grip in there to hold the lug and so remove the nut, maybe with a little penetrant added AFTER you get the vise grips on.

Then you need to determine if the lugs are splined pressed into the hub (which I suspect) or if they screw in. I have both; front lug bolts have splines (like the first picture), rear lugs screw in, double threaded and staked on the inside of the hub as shown in the second attached photo.

After you get the nut and tire off you can more easily figure out what to do. I think all the splines are gone in that hole though, in both the hub and on the lug. If that's the case you either need a new hub or have someone weld the back of a new lug in place, making sure to center it. Either way you'll have to remove the hub to get at the problem.

I tend to think how to get machinery back into service asap from a farmer's perspective. Someone else might have a better idea how to proceed.
(';')

Attached Thumbnails I got a spinner!!-splinedfrontlugbolt.jpg   I got a spinner!!-leftrearhubinboard.jpg  
Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

didnt work!! lol, just split the nut with a cutoff wheel!, and you are right hole is boogered too!! not a big rush though as the new seats and the new ac at the house ate all my painting money!!! not putting her back on road until she is pristine again! i have a bad habit of once things work to just using them!! im fighting myself here!! lol

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Well you got it off anyway, and now you know the problem. That's a good thing.
(';')

Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

where did you get your replacements??? my splines are fine in the hub, lug itself was wallowed out!!!
I got a bad rear one too! whole thing screwed out with the nut!!!
heeeelllppppppp!

Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

The dealer might still have the front lug because the same thread was used in the X308.

The rear lug may be fixable using red loctite which is a permanent type thread locker.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

We got all our lug bolts through Welshnet.com but they were full price from across the Pond and they didn't give they away.

EZAccessory also has them but they're Taiwanese and so were immediately rejected.

You need to be *SURE* your front hub is not hogged out too! I'm having a hard time thinking of any conditions where a steel bolt would go before cast iron.
(';')

Old 10-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

I will tell you exactly what happened! tire store cross threaded the nut and then drove it home with a hammer, forcing the stud to back out of its hole!!!! Of course it was over 3 years ago so theres no point in even trying to go back!!! teh splines are still perfect on both the lug and teh hub!! however the threaded area is is worn down due to impact i wass trying to use and large prybar behind washer!!!

Old 10-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

I was on welshnet and found no lugs! im not worried about paying extra for quality parts, i learned my lesson many years ago with the you get what you paid for thing!!! do you happen to have a part number?????

Old 10-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rear stud from Welsh; #C-13365
Long nuts from Summit; SUM-7540083
Husband ordered extra long front studs for my spacer issue with the Xj40 Tear Drop rims. He didn't even look for regular length front bolts.

Husband put the rear stud in with Green Pernatex, similar to the Red Locktite Plums recommends. In fact I grew up using Red Locktite for such applications.

Originally Posted by LnrB

He put 4 thin lines as in the second photo the full length of the threads (I only show one line) evenly spaced around the short end of the stud, and one line like this in the threads of the hub and screwed the stud into the empty hole. He did all this without calling me to bring my camera. But when he gets a wild hair like that there's no slowing him down for such frivolities as a photo op so I have made this demonstration photo with a similar size bolt.

To ensure it was going to be tight enough he double nutted the long end, jammed a bar between 2 other studs and made it as tight as he dared. (He has been known to twist off half inch grade 5 bolts just by brute force and awkwardness. So I usually stand watching and say, "<PLINK>" at an opportune moment and then he stops.)

The stud is curing now for a couple days after which he'll take the double nuts off, probably again with a bar jammed between other studs. He chases the threads with a die to be sure the they are OK after jamming with a bar like that but so far there hasn't been a hitch.
OEM the rear studs are screwed in and staked on the inboard side as shown in the attached photo. As yours came out I would guess someone tried to jam it in place without either red or green.
(';')

Attached Thumbnails I got a spinner!!-leftrearhubinboard.jpg   I got a spinner!!-smallamount.jpg  

Last edited by LnrB; 10-12-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

that brings me to my next question......
what size tap and die is it? i want to chase all my threads on the lugs and on the nuts!

as i side note, i noticed that the nut i had to cut off was not nearly as long as the others! had the same depth before teh shoulder but was only maybe 3/4 of an inch after it where others all look to be around 1 1/2 inches! this is only a guess, havent actually taken a tape measure to them! my guess is that the threads maybe werent crossed but the nut bottomed out! then they whacked it inward with a hammer to stop the washer from jingling!!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

a search for that part number on welsh bring back nothing!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Tap/die was 1/2" fine.
All my lug nuts are the same, longer than standard Xj6 nuts, but I have Xj40 rims.

Standard length bolts are on the rear and I've double checked on the order form, that is indeed the #. However, that order was made back in August so perhaps they're discontinued by now. The only other place I know who handles them online is EZAccessory but that was back in August too. As Plums suggested a Jag dealer might have them.

I don't think I would go back to those tire gorillas!
(';')

Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
my guess is that the threads maybe werent crossed but the nut bottomed out! then they whacked it inward with a hammer to stop the washer from jingling!!
they obviously were not novices at this. quite knowledgeable but greatly lacking in ethics.

the nut and stud at the outer end should be 1/2-20.

jeep cherokee comes to mind as one vehicle with the same thread.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Tire gorilla ?????

An insult to the primates. Beware, they are big and the "he"s" are known to have short tempers.

Was this a national franchise, a local cut rate or what?

No true professional with pride in his/her work would do that.

Or, even half a brain.Driving the nut home means that stud and nut are no longer doi9ng anything positive. it's the other four!! Throw a wheel. Bad things happen.
Big time lawyers and it's all gone!!!!

UGH!

Carl.