XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior Conundrum

I purchased a 1986 Ser III VDP that was someone else's project. I should have known from past similar purchases the fun I was in for.

The car has been lumped with a 350cid Chevrolet engine and a TH400-700R4 transmission. I can't say I hate the drivetrain though I have always had a fondness for the original Jag plants. What I bought was a solid-bodied Series III for a price I could not pass-up.

Here's the question I have:
It's a VDP. This would dictate Connoly leather throughout, no? I have tweed fronts with what looks to be the pattern in the stitching, leather sides, backs and piping and power height adjustment. I cannot find any reference to tweed being used on Jaguar seating surfaces other than the low-trim XJ40s and these would not have had the leather accenting or the power adjustment right? I'm just trying to determine if the seats have been re-upholstered or if I have some odd factory monster. The rear seat is still leather but is stiff as a dog's rawhide chew.
I'll have plenty of other questions upcoming as I pick my way through this enigma but I'd really like to know more about this bit first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

as far as I know, all Series 3 XJ (Standard or Vanden Plas), have the seat adjusting motor (up / down adjustment). The tops of the seats and tops of seat backs are leather but the sides (shoulders) and the rears of the front seats are vinyl, known as "Ambla". The door panels and arm rests are Ambla, the center console is Ambla. the kick panels are Ambla. No tweed. The Headrests are leather.

the XJ-40 came with more seat adjustments, otherwise same formula.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Someone reupholstered the seats.

Since you're in the USA this is an easy question to answer, as all the USA market cars came with leather and virtually all other goodies as standard equipment. For other markets a buyer had the option of cloth seats (tweed-like material in the Ser IIIs), smaller engine, no climate control, etc.

Of course, an upper-line model like your VDP with anything but a full compliment of extras would be an oddball regardless of market.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Doug. That definitely sets my mind straight. I have to confess that I really don't hate the car this way. I love the leather in my Saab, but the big cat's plush, cushy seats lend themselves well to such a cloth.

Well, with that mystery solved, on to decoding the disagreements between the GM intake vacuum and the Jaguar vacuum accessories, the bodged-up fuel system and the inexplicable lack of proper detents on the shifter.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Wasn't tweed facing on option on European cars? Seem to remember seeing that in the 80s brochures. Maybe it was imported and given a LHD conversion.... maybe it was reupholstered.

[edit] Doug already beat me to it.