XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill Switch for 83' XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Kill Switch for 83' XJ6

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

My 83' XJ6 has an electrical issue where the battery will discharge even when the car is off. Hoping to install a kill switch. Has anyone had this done on their car? Does it correct the issue, and any idea what kill switch I should purchase? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Plenty of them on the market look at a summit racing catalog or jegs. What have you tried already to find the draw though? May be a simple as trunk light stuck on, give us some details before you go letting the smoke of the wires....

The following users liked this post:
Isaac Pagan (11-07-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaac Pagan
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

My 83' XJ6 has an electrical issue where the battery will discharge even when the car is off. Hoping to install a kill switch.

To be a bit more specific I thinking you're looking for a battery disconnect switch rather than a kill switch.

Cheers
DD

Isaac Pagan (11-07-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ditto:

1. Most racing cars have one as required. Mounted in a prescribed position externally. In the event of run on after a crash, the emergency crew can "kill" the engine.

2. EFI cars have something similar. An inertia switch> In the event of a hard impact, it "kills" the fuel pump. Fuel escaping at circa 90 PSI is extremely dangerous.

3. An on/off switch on one of the battery posts is a "false fix". It merely shuts down all the electrical circuits in the car. More of a problem in the sophisticated computer controlled cars. In these, only the radio presets will be lost.

4. In the interim, save the cost of a "kill switch". Merely. attach a wrench in he engine bay that fits the + cable. Undo the cable, when not driving.

5. Search the archives here for a diagnostic path to find the "leak". The fix. Boot lamp, after market "anti theft" device. or alternator diode.

6. In my view the disconnects are crude and wont to add in wanted resistance.

Carl

Carl

Isaac Pagan (11-07-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
To be a bit more specific I thinking you're looking for a battery disconnect switch rather than a kill switch.

Cheers
DD
Problem fixed - bought a new battery and that was all.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks! The issue wasn’t a battery drain, rather a bad battery. Usually disconnected the poles when done driving, but the battery still drained despite doing this. With new battery, car starts briskly and there are no issues.