XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Behaviours

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:08 AM
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Light Behaviours

Series2 '74 XJ6, so how should my light act? have the dial for putting the head lights on at left of right hand drive steering wheel, right. then the indicator stalk for l/r indicators and for dipping the pitch of the head lights from 'high beam' to 'low beam' and vice versa. the stalk indeed dips the pitch of the lamps switching from illuminating the forward part of the bulb to the section further back and changing the apparent visual pitch of the head lights but it doesn't hold in place for what I guess is the 'high' or 'long' beam it just flashes the said 'high beam' before the stalk drops back to the 'low beam'.
should it sit in each position? it doesnt seem to be set up too. i cant seem any other way to set the headlight to a higher beam but then both high and low look like very low beam compared to modern head lights.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts

My series 2:
Turn signal/headlight stalk, the following:
Left turn, push UP; right turn, push DOWN
Headlights: If the lights are OFF, pulling BACK momentarily flashes HIGH beams.
If the lights are ON, pulling back switches ON high beams, until pulling back again which switches to OFF high beams. Each time the stalk returns to its neutral position, forward.

However, I have recently needed to raise my outer lights to give more illumination at night on the open road.

If you don't get HIGH beam, you might have a faulty High/Low switch which needs cleaning or changing. I would try spraying WD-40 or similar through the opening before trying to take the switch apart. Easiest first and all that. Then I would order another Hi/Lo switch from everydayxj.com. or a wrecking yard. Only after all the Easy tries are exhausted would I even attempt to disassemble the switch; but then, I'm lazy like that.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
adenshillito (05-02-2016), Daf11e (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 04:54 AM
Received 3,811 Likes on 2,789 Posts

As Elinor say's......

The following 2 users liked this post by Daf11e:
adenshillito (05-02-2016), LnrB (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Each time you pull the lever back you are operating a latching relay that is located near the headlight fuse box (large alumunium relay).

The relay has two sets of contacts. One operates momentarily, and lights the high beams for flashing when the headlights are switched off. The other set of contacts lights the low beams via the headlight switch when you turn the lights on, and provided changeover to high beam.

When you operate the lever to go to high beam you send an earth pulse to operate that relay, it turns on high beam via changeover contacts and latches in place mechanically so you only have to flick the lever. Flick it again and it toggles back to low beam.

Looking at what you have described logically:

The relay sounds like it is operating OK, so everything should be OK from the lever out
Sounds like you see high beam flashing so that cct and fuses are OK
Low beam works OK so you are getting that 12V
High beam not working, but you see a short flash from the momentary contacts as the relay cycles.

Sounds like you may have faulty changeover contacts in the relay. The wiring to high beam from both sets of contacts exits on one lead and is joined in the relay.

Options are to take the relay can off and clean all the contacts, replace with used/new (maybe Everyday XJ if you have trouble in sourcing in NZ) or convert to a generic relay.

The other option is that I am completely wrong as I am basing the above on my S3, but I think headlight wise they are the same. I have mine dismantled at the moment to put in a relay to unload the light switch, and a generic relay to do the headlight switching.

Last edited by yarpos; 05-01-2016 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 AM

It does seem like the dipping of the lever provides a high beam for just a moment before recoiling to original position and low beam. should the lever not be able to be clicked into a holding position here?
Or is it entirely down to the relay to do all the work, therefore something at the relay is not handing over function just flashing momentarily?
Am I understanding right then that each flick of the dip lever forward should toggle the mode between LB and HB until the never dip of the lever?
thanks

Old 05-02-2016, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

If this is the same as the S3 as I suspect, the relay is doing the work. The lever just sends a short pulse to the relay which changes it from one state to another.

The relay has two sets of contacts. One that handles the flashing and one that does the changeover.

Dont really understand the last question, but yes all functions are activated by a momentary pull back on the lever. Just note it is possible to damage the relay buy holding the lever back for a long period.

To test the flash function just pull the lever briefly towards yourself with the lights switched off. You should hear the relay click and the high beams should flash.

You only notice the flash now when testing the dip function as the high beams dont stay on as they should and are just overlaying a brief flash over the high beams.

adenshillito (05-02-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:34 AM

So the relay isn't latching on the dip function, I think I meant.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Well you certainly arent getting the electrical outcome. Whether its a mechanical latching thing or its latching but the changeover contacts are dirty/failed is what needs to be examined. Everything seems to point at the relay so far going on your descriptions.

adenshillito (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 AM

original relay was toast late last year and a non-latching relay had been substituted since not currently on road, i now see this.
ordered new latching relay now.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Odd, oh, for the days of the simple push/pull head light switch
and a dimmer pedal on the floor board????

Those stalks still perplex me a tad. I do manage though.

Except for the momentary high beam flash. Seems antiquated.

In olden days, on two lane roads, we signaled an intent to pass with a flash of HB.

Carl

Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
In olden days, on two lane roads, we signaled an intent to pass with a flash of HB.

Carl
I've always done that Carl! I still do! In fact, that switch is in danger of wearing out! LOL
(';')