XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light whistling/blowing leakage sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Light whistling/blowing leakage sound

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction with regard to a hopefully small 12 cyl issue..........

Issue: There is a light whistling/blowing leakage sound somewhere below the air filterbox on the left side of the engine in the manifold area.

What is the best way to locate (any tools/instruments)?

If it is an exhaust manifold gasket should I replace both sides - all 12?

With regard to the exhaust manifold gasket someone told me to be careful. Apparently there is an old generation gasket that wont last and a new generation of high quality that will last. How do I spot the high quality gasket as I shop for parts?

I thank you kindly for any input.

Lars

Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 10,289 Likes on 6,810 Posts

Firstly welcome to the Forum.

When time permits, please do an Intro in the New Members Area.

Maybe exhaust to head gaskets, not common, but plausible. Flange gaskets, YES. There are in fact OE, and aftermarket, and at my last ask, NLA on the OE, but it was a while back.

Sometimes a simple retighten of said bolts/nuts is all that is required to bring the silence back.

I ALWAYS use an RTV Copper Coat on exhaust gaskets, more as a dressing, but it is very high temp (used on truck Turbo's), and aids the life of the gaskets.

Other noise of that description on the LH sdie of the V12 is the Inlet hose to the AAV, and the draft plastic elbow for distributor cap venting, they can whistle under certain conditions.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

From the description, I'd look for an air leak on an intake filter. Or a vacuum leak.

Exhaust leaks are far more "metallic" in sound.

The exhaust manifolds on my lump use no gasket at the joint to the head. Merely, high temp O2 sensor safe RTV. Over a decade of service. No leaks. I detest exhaust leaks.

Carl

Old 09-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. Very useful ��