XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Little Guidance

Hi Folks, This is one of those multilayered issues so please bear with me as give a little history leading up to my current plight.
I have been wrestling with a fuel issue ( see travel break down need help thread). After replaceing the pump, filter , flushing the tanks and verifying their condition the car was running well. The dash switch for the gas tanks seemed fussy so I bought a replacement from UK unlimited and changed that out
Today while driving the car again became fuel starved. I was able to see that the pump was working due to a considerate individual who stopped and turned the ignition while i felt/heard the pump. the car wanted to kick over but ,no
While waiting for the tow truck I started jiggling the the switch for the gas tank change over solenoid and could hear it click only when I held it in a certain position. Got the car started and headed home. OK, new switch but possibly defective.
So here's the issues. when I jiggle the switch it has a direct effect on the gas tank fuel gauge reading fluctuating from actual to dead zero. Also for a brief moment the cigarette lighter back lit( I didn't know it did that). I typically dont have back lighting to the change over switch and rear defrost switch . Thought it was due to the switches temselves but now think differently
I'm wondering if there's a common issue with the left side of the center console that houses these switches. Right side seems fine.
I appreciate any advice here
Regards
Jeff

Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

A common issue with the four switches in that panel is that the connectors are not very confidence inspiring. They just slide over the pins without any real locking tabs... and the contacts inside the connector often lose their tension as well.

Replacement switches are often not very high quality. Was it a genuine Lucas part? Or a brand-x? Well, either way, there's always the chance of a new part being a dud, as you say.

As for the cigar lighter backlighting issue....well...I'm stumped on that. The backlighting for the lighter and the four panel switches are on the same circuit....but that circuit is unrelated to the fuel changeover system.

I wonder if a previous owner was in there monkeying around?

Or maybe there's a problem with the contacts inside the connector to the changeover switch? As I recall (been a few years) the connector can be opened up for a look-see.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Doug. Yes the fitment of ther replacement switch was horrible . the prongs on the switch are to small to really snug fit the connector.
Guess I could pull the center panel that houses those switches to inspect the wiring.Do i need to remove the whole center console to get this panel out. the manual seems to address the dash and front parcel shelf only

Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

No need to remove the console but there are two different types of mounting panel.

On early cars with the aluminum-ish panel, the panel can just be wiggled out, as the little mounting pegs are a friction fit. Um....as I recall.

Later cars with the woodgrain panel are a bit more involved. This covers the basics...but it has been a few years since I least did this.....

Pull the climate control knobs straight off

Remove nuts behind the knobs

Remove black surround panel

Remove two screws that hold wood panel

Gently wiggle wood panel downward, then outward. It has locating tabs at the top that need to be disengaged

The two screws run upwards from below. You won't see them unless you look in the area above the radio

You might have to remove (or at least reposition) the radio. I honestly can't remember.

If you have a trip computer you might want to remove it first. It just wiggles out from the front. Friction fit only.

Others with healthier memory cells will chime in if needed.

Cheers
DD