XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an 86 XJ Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

it looks like a VDP. The sill plates are correct, the gauges are sunken, which is correct. The Leaper was an owner or dealer installed accesory, no Jaguar came with Leapers from the factory since the 1970's

the auxiliary fan only runs when the temp reaches and passes a certain temperature. On the 12 cylinder engines it runs continuously.

the two front seats are not Jaguar. Look like Toyota seats.

the wire wheels are not Jaguar original wheels, it would have come with Kent wheels. Those look like Daytons.

Last edited by Jose; 01-05-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jose! I've found a couple seat assemblies a couple hours south of me for less than 100 each, may get a deal if I get both. I'll have to see about why the fan runs continuously. I've already been in contact with David at EverydayXj and it seems like he's got a majority of the interior parts that I need. On the bright side. I'll have 2 lounging seats for the garage now! LOL.
Thank you for all you're guidance and advice so far! I'll probably start a build/progress thread once we I start getting stuff shipped in.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

WAIT!!

are you saying the aux. electric fan runs whenever the a/c or heater is ON ?? Or does it stay running forever even if you turn the engine OFF ??

I ask because back in the late 1980's and through the 1990's there was a popular modification to make the electric fan run continuously in the summer heat. I did it to my car too, but it is a noisy modification, that electric fan isn't exactly quiet, and in fall and winter weather you don't want that electric fan running at all, so the mod needs to be disconnected when fall arrives.

The following users liked this post:
Poloskie (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Banned

the giant fan behind the rad runs only when the engine is on, but is on 100% of the time the engine is on. . So its possible its modded to have it run all the time then? Interesting... Do you recall what the modification entails? Also, Do you know of an easier way to see if the stakedown kits installed other than taking the valvecover off?

Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Poloskie
the giant fan behind the rad runs only when the engine is on, but is on 100% of the time the engine is on. .

That's a belt driven fan so naturally it spins whenever the engine is running

The electric fan is in front of the radiator, maybe 10" diameter

Cheers
DD

Poloskie (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Poloskie
Do you know of an easier way to see if the stakedown kits installed other than taking the valvecover off?
Remove the oil filler cap. Maybe you catch catch a glimpse of the stake down hardware.

Cheers
DD

Poloskie (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Banned

Ahh, well then if its belt driven, that explains everything, I hadn't gotten too far in there yet to actually look. Thanks for the tip on the stakedown kit. I'll probably end up taking the valve covers off anyway to refinish them and check everything out up top.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The VIN will tell you definitively whether your car left the factory as a VdP.
If the fifth character is a ‘Y’ then you have a VdP; otherwise, it will be a ‘V’ which denotes a base model.
(n.b. I’m referring to the North American VIN, which is found on the A-pillar plate at the windshield and presumably on your title/registration—NOT the one stamped into the metal at the cowl under the hood.)
Either way, enjoy the project! It looks like fun.
Andrew.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

ok you got the answers you needed, and I was referring to the small auxiliary electric fan located in front of the radiator under the front bumper, driver's side. Obviously it is not modded.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Congratulations on your new project!

It seems quite good to start with.
Be sure to check / replace all the rubber fuel lines, ignition wiring, plugs etc.

The work on the door handles tells me that somebody without "Jag-Knowledge" has been "working" on this car though.
The tops normally just slide off, so that will be an easy fix.

The woodwork and the headliner are shot, which usually points to moisture inside the car.
Check the sliding roof drain tubes for damage / clogging. That's what usually does this kind of damage...
The roof motor CAN be fixed, even when it is rusted fix internally........ been there, done that

For the wood work, you might want to check my XJ12 Sovereign restoration topic on this list.
If you do what I did, it'll look real, it'll feel real, but will never disintegrate again.... ;-)
Here's an example:

Interior "wood" restauration

Back in the car, matches nicely with the dash...

It's not wood, it's actually a plastic foil with a burled walnut print. Clean the surfaces, apply the foil very precisely, buff it very lightly with the finest scotchbrite and apply several coats of clear coat....then it'll look just like this.....

The body trims don't look original to me, but I'm over in Europe and things can and will differ from market to market.
If you get to the actual body work and paintjob, you might want to consider a pin striping, or the European chrome trims (they are still available through SNG Barratt's):

Have fun with this (soon to be once more) beautiful cat!

Pat

Last edited by Dutch-Cat; 01-07-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Banned

Thankfully all the windows and sunroof motors still work well! Thanks for the words of encouragement too! The door seals are where its leaking I think. as a couple of them have a goot 2-3 inch gap between the ends -_-. Ive got a ton of stuff on order, plugs coils, rotors, and pads. Once they all come in I'll start in on the project thread. And yes there was definitely moisture in the car. I've pulled all the floor insualtion and carpet and put a few damprid canisters in there to pull out the extra moisture. It's beginning to smell less like a wet shoe, so thats progress!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Old Jags actually do have their own distinct (or is it distinguished) smell....( and no....it should not be a fuel smell .... )

The door seals can be a bit of a bitch when replacing.....don't ask me how I know, but they too are still available from SNG Barratt's for a reasonable price....

If you run into anything on the body side....just holler....I'll be checking in here every now and then ....

Poloskie (01-07-2019)