XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for panels

The XJ project continues apace on my series III. While the car I have is fairly low milage for the breed, there is some rust to deal with on the rear wings.

It's an odd rot out problem. Instead of the arches rotting, the rust seems to have started in the middle (see images). I suspect, based on the symmetry of the rot on either side, that the buckles of a tie down for a tarp was rubbing against them at one time or another in its life.

I'm planning to give a go at shaping some sheet metal myself and welding in the patches, but wondered if anyone had any pointers to where I might find the appropriate body panels or (ideally) might have some scrap from their own efforts that they don't need that I could cabbage onto. This is really not terribly extensive (the left wing, as you face the rear of the car, is the only one that actually gets into the subskin, the right one is just above the wheel arch).

The front windshield, well, that's a different story and for a different time...

Attached Thumbnails Looking for panels-leftrearrust.jpg   Looking for panels-rightrearrust.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Calhale
It's an odd rot out problem. Instead of the arches rotting, the rust seems to have started in the middle (see images). I suspect, based on the symmetry of the rot on either side, that the buckles of a tie down for a tarp was rubbing against them at one time or another in its life.

Not all that odd. I've seen a few Ser IIIs rusted in just the same areas. Some sort of water trap back there behind the panels?

Cheers
DD

Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM

On one side, I'd be tempted to say that it's where the inner skin mates with the outer -- but on the other, the rot is just in the middle of (from what I can tell) otherwise fine sheet.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

your best bet for the panel is David at EverydayXJ www.everydayxj.com

The following users liked this post:
Calhale (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Shot him an email -- we'll see what he has! Thanks!
It's small enough I probably can rough it in with a hammer/dolly/sweat/blood/tears/foul language/welding, but as a father of 3 I'm constrained to the typical quandary:

1) getting it done quickly so my wife doesn't go crazy
2) having my kids do it

And they're not ready for the MIG yet.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Calhale
Shot him an email -- we'll see what he has! Thanks!
It's small enough I probably can rough it in with a hammer/dolly/sweat/blood/tears/foul language/welding, but as a father of 3 I'm constrained to the typical quandary: 1) getting it done quickly so my wife doesn't go crazy
2) having my kids do it, And they're not ready for the MIG yet.
I worry that on the other side of that hole, you have a gasoline tank and fuel lines full of explosive vapors and liquid gasoline under pressure;

if you're going to weld there, I would remove the gas tank and seal any gasoline lines before. The Jaguar factory service manual states that anytime the XJ-6's fuel system is going to be opened to atmosphere, the fuel system must be de-pressurized, which hardly anybody does, and then they end up with fuel problems.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Yeah, that tanks getting pulled. My father (who is, I suspect, a closet masochist) is insistent that the sheet metal welding can be done with an acetylene torch. Lots of fire, not good around fuel tanks -- and this one is disconnected anyway.

Last edited by Calhale; 12-11-2012 at 08:51 AM.