XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need help removing dashboard side panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Need help removing dashboard side panel

I'm getting a clicking/snapping sound from the left side of the dash over the slightest of bumps. I noticed the ends of the dash (left and right) each have a black panel. When I press on the left one, I hear what sounds like the clicking/snapping sound over bumps. I sprayed the edges with silicone, but it didn't help much. I removed the weather stripping and took these photos and in the second one, looking through the open edge, you can see some wires, which may also be moving about and contributing to the noise.

So, I'm thinking if I remove the left side panel, I can investigate further and possibly put some felt in there or do something. The problem with the plastic panels is, if you don't know the trick to removing them, you'll end up breaking the tabs and you'll end up having to buy a new one. I tried gently pulling outward with my finger, but it didn't budge.

Anyone have a diagram showing which way to pull on the panel to get it out (or know the direction in which to lift or pull)?

Many thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Need help removing dashboard side panel-img_0227.jpg   Need help removing dashboard side panel-img_0231.jpg  
Old 09-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Page 2242 of the Workshop Manual:

Looks like it's five clips and it just pulls straight off.
But best to use a trim removal tool I reckon.

The following users liked this post:
Long Islander (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks a lot. I have several different variations of trim removal tools. Very handy to have. I'll do some exploration tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Using a right angle pick (which you can see in the first photo), I got the side panel off with just one pull. Behind it, as I suspected were a bunch of wires.

The wires that run to my K40 radar detector lights were attached to other wires via 3 red butt connectors. The red connectors seemed to have dropped down over time to where they were hitting other hard plastic and making a clicking sound. I wrapped them in 3M cloth electrical tape that is commonly used inside cars. This tape never gets gooey from the heat. I then used wire ties to fasten the wrapped connectors to a solid area.

I also wire wrapped another bunch of wires that were flopping around.
Lastly, I noticed that the edge of the bottom panel (the black edge of the ivory colored piece) clicked a bit when I pressed against it. There's not much that can be done about this other than replacing an expensive piece of plastic, so I sprayed some silicone around the edges, and also put some foam weather stripping on the left edge that meets the black end panel. I'm hoping this will keep the two plastic pieces from rubbing against each other and clicking.

Attached Thumbnails Need help removing dashboard side panel-img_0234.jpg   Need help removing dashboard side panel-img_0233.jpg   Need help removing dashboard side panel-img_0232.jpg