XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual trans in your Jag

Old 10-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Manual trans in your Jag

I have collected a 5spd manual trans & components to change my 73 lumped 350/350 into a 350/5spd. I've had numerous questions as to why I'm doing this. I'm 68 and grew up choosing my gears up and down. Like many things, you have to do it to understand it. Today, manual transmissions are found in very few cars, and this is very limiting to younger generations. I'm curious about others' opinions - pros & cons, memories and questions.... please respond.
Thanks, Jim

Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jim,

Pros and cons ..

My S1 XJ6 has a 5 speed toyota gear box in it and I love it !..like you I grew up with manual transmission so think nothing of it just seems the norm to me.

But compared to a S1 XJ6 with an automatic box..the autos do seem to have a smoother more luxury unhurried feel to them..

My MG has an electric overdrive on 4th gear which I feel gives the best of both worlds ..to pass at highway speed just flick the switch and floor it !!

I think a lot depends on how I feel at the time !!

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
andys-GR (01-05-2018)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,740 Likes on 7,096 Posts

Originally Posted by smith356
I'm curious about others' opinions - pros & cons, memories and questions.... please respond.
Thanks, Jim

I think it's a great idea

Cheers
DD

Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,778 Posts

I'm with Doug I also think it's a great idea.....just love really driving a car with manual transmition. However, if I need to drive in traffic give me an automatic every time.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I like both, but I trust manual gearbox better than automatic. I don't even have one fully functioning automatic box. Either it's worn out, a pump is squeaking, it's full of metal, etc.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,911 Likes on 5,277 Posts

I grew up with both and I have both now. On the farm the cars and pickups were auto, the big trucks manual.

My Datsun roadster had a Toyota 18RG/5-speed (old school) and I Loved going through the gears! I can't imagine that car with an auto trans the way I drove it.

My work truck is a 4-speed with stump pulling Granny Compound Low (I actually pulled a farm plow out of a client's yard with it once). I can't imagine an auto trans in that vehicle.

However. I would not want a manual in Nix. She is in a Completely different class of car from anything I've ever driven. When I drive Nix I don't want to be changing gears and all that mundane stuff. I want to be setting up for the next curve, calculating how fast I can take it; or I want to be lazing along with no particular place to go, enjoying the pure luxury of a classic ride.

When I'm in town my truck gives me quite enough driving in traffic with a manual, so unless it's work, I'm either driving Nix or the Adequate Vehicle (Sonata) with 4-speed auto.
(';')

Old 10-08-2016, 02:32 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

If I could get a suitable donor I would change my XJ6 to manual in a heartbeat.
Auto's are great around the city, but I'm thinking track days for mine.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts

Jim,
I collected most of the pedal box parts back in the late 90's, one thing I don't have is the brake pedal for a manual box. I can't tell if the auto has to be bent (roughly an S shape) to work with the clutch pedal or if it's the same shape as the manual. The pedal pad will have to be trimmed of course.
The other thing is the clutch pedal I got has a detachable pedal pad, an older design I think. Of course I wasn't able to source the pad itself.
Also, the clutch master is an older vertical BL piece with the reservoir integral to the cylinder. I think I'll find something else, maybe a wilwood or preferably a more common british master.

Any ideas here? Words of experience?

Old 10-08-2016, 09:10 AM

As for auto boxes... I could live with them up to the 4l60 gm box. At that time it seems all the US makes decided to program their automatics to irritate the living hell out of this one guy down in south Ga. I suppose it's all in the name of posting mpg numbers, but when I push on the damn go pedal I need it to go NOW. Of course it doesn't, then you push more (by now you've been creamed by a semi) and the sob downshifts three gears! I despise them. Fords too, and Hondas!
I drive my truck in tow-haul mode most of the time when I'm in town. Screw gas mileage, it's cheaper than therapy...

Old 10-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slofut
... but when I push on the damn go pedal I need it to go NOW. Of course it doesn't, then you push more (by now you've been creamed by a semi) and the sob downshifts three gears! I despise them. Fords too, and Hondas!...
This is why I have come to Despise our Sonata! It gets Great fuel economy, but So at the expense of reasonable (and safe) performance!

But at least it's uncomfortable.
(';')

Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default manual box available

Jaguar XJ6 LHD Clutch Brake Pedal Box 1970 87 Series 1 2 or 3 | eBay I'd be happy to make a good deal for a forum member.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 AM

Bill,
I'll revisit my pedalbox this afternoon and see if I would be better off to just get yours (if it's still available). Mine is all NOS bits, can't remember for sure exactly what I'm missing.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I had to learn to drive two systems before I could get my license at 16.
A long time ago!!!

My "learner car" in more ways than one, was a 23 T Ford roadster pickup. Two speed planetary, as used in modern autoboxes????

Henry provide three pedals to drive the car. left to right. 1/2 down, meant neutral. All the way got first. Center pedal got reverse. But the other foot needed to push the left pedal half way down. Right pedal engaged a band on the transmission drum to "brake" the car.
Oh, and a hand brake lever to the left. All the way forward, high gear.
1/2 back, neutral. All the way back, neutral, "emergency" brake on the axle engaged.

Oh, the throttle was a lever on the steering column ust under the wheel. Gotta mess with that while the feet pressed pedals and he other hand messed with the hand brake lever.

Well, I and others messed with this "simple" and practical system.

Out with the "T' carb and in with a far better "A" carb. Throttle motion in a diferent plane? So, add the "A" foot throttle. it fit almost perfectly!!!

Oh, another added bit. A two speed "Ruxtel" rear axle. Another lever in the center of the floor board to shift it. Aha, now have four speeds forward and two in reverse!!! mess with it a bit and it would "torque
shift". I could beat any one "speed shifting" in a conventional box!!!

Oh, oh, the Texas cop refused to ride in my t for my license test!!!

So, dad gave me lessons in the family 38 Dodge and at his job in the assigned Dodge "weapons carrier"!!!

Decades later, son ready to drive. Vehicle. A 57 Ford pickup. Powered by a Thunderbird 312 V8. But with a four speed. Granny low. First lessons in the old oil field roads in the hills of LA's San Fernando valley.

His present ride. A big old Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. Cummins powered and four on the floor. It will pull anything, and often has... 300.000 miles and counting and running like the work hose it is....

Yeah, before my days are over, I's like to shift some more gears.

My "hot rod of the 40's" project had three on the floor and a warmed up Flat head Ford V8. Jumpy low meant quick foot action. Not too mention the poor idle of twin carbs. But, once in to 2nd, hang on....

LnrB: Might even be more fun... Go into that turn in 4th, drop to 3rd and at the apex, stand on it.....

Carl

ronbros (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

when i was young and dumb, and full of %%%, of course i drove manual shift!

but now that i'm much older, i like a good 4/8 speed auto, especially in heavy traffic!

and sport mode is awesome.

what are we gonna do when cars are Electric, with no shifting at all!

read where Germany is gonna outlaw ICE cars within 10years(internal combustion engines).

Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros

but now that i'm much older, i like a good 4/8 speed auto, especially in heavy traffic!

read where Germany is gonna outlaw ICE cars within 10years(internal combustion engines).
I had a few manual shift cars when I was younger too (Nissans & a few Porsches) To me the 700R4 with a shift kit is just about as near to perfect as an auto can get. The newer electronic models think and have modes and are less predictable. I find that annoying.

Modern 6/8 speeds with their tight converters and torque management tend to up-shift early to save fuel and feel lazy yet busy to me. I just took my 405 HP Escalade in to the mountains on a family trip and it was more enjoyable and controllable to drive in manual shift mode.

I still prefer a manual for sport driving. So a T56 is the best bet. Autos are heavy and parasitic and have to be setup to perfection to survive high HP builds.

So...I just purchase another Coupe. This one actually is rust free. I plan on introducing it to the LHD pedal box I just purchased. Question is what engine to stick in front of a T56? Big block? Turbo LT1? Or one of the SBC's I have laying around.

Last edited by icsamerica; 10-10-2016 at 08:02 PM.
ronbros (10-13-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros

It wont outlaw cars that are already built, but I do suspect in some years our old Jags wont be allowed to be on the road anymore :/

Old 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by XJeej
It wont outlaw cars that are already built, but I do suspect in some years our old Jags wont be allowed to be on the road anymore :/
Sure they will, we will just be doing eletric comversions versus v8!

ronbros (10-13-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, auto boxes do have a place. A couple of times, was stuck in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic on our old Bay Bridge.
Clutching in and out just about got the best of my less than perfect
left knee. Thanks to "Choclate" my burro at about age 14. he rolled over on it, ouch1

Elinor:

Did the bit farm trucks have a little "trigger" jut under the shift knob to shift a two speed rear axle in and out of low. "Pull" the trigger, lift the throttle foot, it shifts, back on the throttle. Same sans trigger pull to up shift!!! Slick...

My "T" with the Ruxtel worked that way, but with a lever. Torque control...

Carl

ronbros (10-13-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Elinor:

Did the bit farm trucks have a little "trigger" jut under the shift knob to shift a two speed rear axle in and out of low. "Pull" the trigger, lift the throttle foot, it shifts, back on the throttle. Same sans trigger pull to up shift!!! Slick...

Carl
No, Carl, on the farm 2-speed axles were considered just asking for trouble, not to mention added expense at time of purchase. The first 2-speed axles I encountered was my first summer job just out of high school when I drove gravel trucks off a crusher in a pit. I thought it was the Neatest thing since sliced bread!
(';')

ronbros (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Well, auto boxes do have a place. A couple of times, was stuck in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic on our old Bay Bridge.
Clutching in and out just about got the best of my less than perfect
left knee. Thanks to "Choclate" my burro at about age 14. he rolled over on it, ouch1

Elinor:

Carl

hey carl, remember the guy with "i had twin syphs and a COLUMBIA BUTT" for you guys that dont dig the jive, "thats two carburetors and an OVERDRIVE"

ron

Search this Thread