XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire on throttle, new pickup coil

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Misfire on throttle, new pickup coil

Hello , My car is a 1980 Jaguar XJ6 S3 4.2L.

Question:.. can a new pickup coil be faulty despite having a correct static ohms reading between 2.2 and 4 kohms?(it has 2.7kohms on 20 deg day)

Situation:
The car had difficulty starting, finally figured it was the PICKUP COIL after failing ohms test intermittently.
I bought a new pickup coil AEU1500. I tested the new pickup coil on bench, its between 2.2 and 4k ohms.looks ok.

I also changed other items while waiting for the pickup coil.
New ignition coil (lucas)
New Rotor in distrubutor
New ignition LEADS set 8mm.
New ignition module in amplifier.( i have a few, have substiuted them a few times, same result)
New spark plugs
Freshened up the distributpr, cleaned oiled it etc. Vaccuum works ok, sucking on the spigot moves baseplate 2-3 degrees or so.

Since i installed the new Pickup coil , the car will start ok, and now seems to idle ok(it seems its better with the new leads than old ones, it was rougher with them) but if i apply throttle, it misfires on cylinders, engine jumps...becomes unstable. No matter how much i swing the distributor, its always unstable. It cant become stable/tuned.
I dont think a poor vaccuum advance would cause a misfire and the engine to jump... i tested vac hose etc.. looks ok. If i sucked on the vacumm spigot , it moves the plate 2-3 degrees...so looks ok

The spark plugs on inspection were ALL black, some more than others. This lead me to conclude a lack of spark to burn the fuel, or the timing
on the distributor was way to late.

Pickup coil GAP is between 8 and 14 thousands. There is no wobble in distributor shaft.

I do recall that if i increased gap to 14 thousands area, ie set it wider, engine became better, more stable .But applying throttle still produces misfires and jumpy engine.

I do know i dont have a "flash sheild " in distributor, never have.. others say its not an issue, most dont have one.
I though maybe on throttle , spark was arcing due to lack of flash sheild?.. possibility, not sure.
Some times spark arcs due to a bad rotor.. but i substituted the old rotor, spark plugs, leads, distrbutor capp etc. one at a time . with my old an new stuff.. nothing changed.

Im suspecting
1- the new pickup coil may be faulty.
I did an ohms test on the bench, again its ok between 2.2 and 4 k ohms.
I cant yet substuitute my old pickup coil as the old pickup works intermittently. Currently its not working as it doesnt have the correct ohms reading on it, so i cant use it.

Question:.. can the new pickup coil explain this jumpy engine and be faulty , despite having a correct ohms reading statically.?
A parts dealer said he had many problems with the pickup coils, but he said the fault would show up with a static ohms test. This one passes that.

If i have to assume the new pickup coil is OK... i am only left with changing the wires from igntion amplifier to ignition coil.... continuity test shows there ok, BUT i may as well change that.

Last thing would be an earth leak, so electricity doesnt get to coil/distributor on higher throottle.. so lack of spark, misfire? Just thinking out loud on that.

Any advice is appreciated.
regards
Peter

Last edited by osyris; 09-01-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Seems like your ignition is sorted. Move on to fueling.
You can verify if it's a fueling issue by seeing if it will rev up using a combustible sprayed in to the intake tract. I suspect it may be the air meter as is often the case.

WARNING: Make sure your timing is right and be-sure to have an extinguisher handy and perhaps wear a fire suite, and consider having the car towed to a open field of concrete and have the local fire dept. on stand by. I like to use brake clean as its highly volatile and doesn't puddle. Good luck.