Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Modernized and Improved" XJ6 transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Cool "Modernized and Improved" XJ6 transmission mount

Hi,
Just found this article while trolling XJ6 transmission mount. Anyone tried such a thing or are we all purists!

Replacing and Upgrading the Transmission Mount

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Jaguar's love affair with weird transmission mounts has always baffled me.

That article covers modification to a V12 transmission mount. The mounting system is more complex on a Series III 6-cylinder although I'm sure it can be redesigned with enough time, money, and effort.

I'm sure vendors are selling an upgraded center bushing for the Series III 6-cylinder. Not sure about any upgrades for the two rubber mounting blocks. Worth looking into. Upgraded materials are a plus, obviously. And the original center cushions used by Jaguar were very soft material....cushy, but short lived.

A big factor with the trans mounts on these cars, standard or upgraded material, is that they get drenched with engine and transmission oil. Not good. Fix the major leaks. Or.... use some aerosol brake wash to clean them off a couple times a year while you're doing other services. A five minute thing.

Anyhow.....

Redesigns? Often fun and interesting....so I'm not trying to talk you out of a fun project. But, on the other hand, how do you want to spend your time? Although the original design of the mounting irritates me, personally, the three mounts can be replaced in a couple hours and probably for well under $100....and you'll be "good to go" for many years.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The XJ40 ZF4HP22 gearbox mount is just as 'interesting'. (assortment of springs, plates and bushes)

Jaguar finally made a simple mount for the X100/X308 ZF 5HP24.

Can't get much more simple.