Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative Camber??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Negative Camber??

I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my car and reinstalled every component exactly as I removed them.
Now, when I back up the car and hit the brake I have negative camber.
If I drive forward and hit the brake, it returns to close to 0 degrees camber
When I drive the car and I turn left or right the steering wheel will automatically return to the center position as it should do on completing the turn.
Having put a couple hundred of miles of high speed driving on the car I see no abnormal wear on the front tires.
Later today, when I take the car out of the garage, I will take and post some pics of the described condition.
In the meantime;
Did I do something wrong, and if you think I did, what should I do to correct it.
PS: This is on my Jag with the Chevy conversion. The ride height is normal, I think.
Prior to the ball joint replacement, this condition did not exist.
Pictures coming soon.

Components replaced on front suspension:
Upper and Lower ball joints.
Tie Rod ends
Sway Bar bushings
Sway Bar link bushings
Upper shock rubbers
New Brake calipers and Rotors and brake hoses
Serviced and adjusted hub bearings

Thanks

Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

First I'd say that, after all that work, your first trip should be to an alignment shop to have all the adjustments set to spec.

I'm not sure what you've described indicates a fault. But, OTOH, I've never looked at it/tested it in the way you've described. More mulling of suspension geometry and movement, after coffee, is needed.

I will say, though, that every Jag I've owned shows a slight (but still visible) negative camber on front and rear wheels with the car at rest. It seems to be the natural state of things.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am thinking along similar lines.

1. But, in one area, the reverse of what is seen on braking. My mental imagery conjures a front to rears weight on braking while moving backwards. Thusly, the "enlightened"
front of the car rises as the rear goes downwards. That would move the front suspension into a positive camber. Or, do we have neg and pos mixed up???

2. A simple bubble level across the wheel and tire in a vertical position would give a rough indication of camber at rest.

3. Other than a pro alignment after that much suspension work, I'd not be alarmed.

4.. As modern era cars have antidive front geometry, backing just might d the opposite.

5. As backing is at a relatively slow speed, "odd" camber up front seems harmless.

Carl

Old 03-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

I agree with both of you.
I will check the specs for the correct camber setting.
I just noticed that it is very visible when I back up.
I will update you later re how many degrees it's 'off' between the back up stance and the forward stance.
As far as taking it to a 'proper' alignment shop, the closest is about 80 miles away.
Where I live, there are alignment shops.
Tire Kingdom; failed at doing alignment on my Volvo. They saw some scratches on my sub frame and blamed that on their inability to do just toe in/out adjustment. They change techs often. Every week you see a different tech in there.
Solution; Took the 80 mile drive to Orlando and was in and out in less than 2 hours with perfect alignment.
Tires Plus: Plus what may I ask? Too many annoying sales pitches for comfort.
Independent shops: Jaguar prices. (no explanation needed).
Once I determine that everything I did was correct, I will make the 80 mile trip.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

I this area (the Real Northern California), the nearest Jag dealer is over 100 miles away in Sacramento (I seriously doubt they would deign to even look as she's older than the techs) and indies won't even Touch a Jaguar!! Even after I explain there's nothing mysterious about it, they're merely shims, and I can give them the specs. Then they ask the year of the car, and when I tell them 1976 I can just hear the hives breaking out on their faces.

Husband and I must have done a pretty OK job guessing a couple years ago, because there is no untoward tire wear in 1500 miles and she flies down the road Just Fine thank you; although there are certain bridges she Does Not like at all, and starts tram-lining until she gets off on solid ground.

I don't figure that's her fault.
(';')