Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New addition series III VDP

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: New addition series III VDP

The Series 3 has no where near the power of the XJ40, that is true. Personally, I think they are far better looking, so that makes up for it.

Where are you located? Or, where do you want to travel for service?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

They just didn't generate the power. It's the same engine as the 4.2 E-type, but the cams are not as fun.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, wonders never cease on here. You bought a car like that, and you want to modify it and drive it around in city traffic? I'd be shopping for a bubble to put it in, and a nice set of jackstands. Wait a few years for the economy to stabilize, and sell it at Scottsdale for a bajillion.Spend the interluderesearching and testing leather preservatives.

You can buy a decent driver for three grand, and chop up anything you see fit to try and make it become the car it was never designed to be. Or find a '95 XJR for only a couple grand more, and scare the snot out of everyone on the CBE. This doesn't come from a purist who is appalled by your sacrilege, I am a realist who is baffled by your impracticality.

I've been working on XJ6's for a living since before yours was built, and I never saw or read of a performance mod that offered any appreciable gains at all. And it's been more than 20 years since I heard of one with such low mileage. How manySeries III VDP'slike that do you think there are in the world? A thousand, maybe? And you want to use it up, or mess it up, to make it just like nearly all of the rest? Wonderful. Happy motoring.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

ob1

I also answeredyour "performance" questions at the other forum. These cars are not red-light tire-smoking performers, they are cruisers, for stable, comfortable, high speed interstate driving, their power comes in after 90 mph, assuming you don't get caught.

what do you mean by "serious inlet restriction"? the only restriction is the o.e.m. paper filter, go to any autoparts and getthe K & N Air filter, part number E2350, and the plugs I told you about. That's about all you can do to it to make it a bit more responsive and gas-efficient.

based on the dash picture, the car has good oil pressure, good temperature, and good voltage, actually, great voltage.

Jose

Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jose - could you be more specific on "the plugs I told you about" - Do you know of a plug that's especially Series III friendly? If so, share and I'll drop in 6 new plugs.

Ob1 - that's a true jaguar time capsule story if I've ever heard one. Sounds like you have a lot of toys - try to make sure this one has a nice dry seat in the garage.