XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner bugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New owner bugs

Greetings! Just bought an '85 XJ6, my first Jaguar. Broke down momentarily on the 1 hour ride home -after about 20 minutes the car just stalled out - and I coasted to the side of the highway. Waited 5 minutes and it started again and I proceeded home. Next day took it for a short ride in town and stalled after 3 miles or so and this time couldn't restart. Towed home. Later in the day, changed the fuel filter and got it started again but not at all sure I cured the problem. Time will tell. Lots of connections to clean up and other things not working (headlights, heat fan, gas gauge) but other than that does anyone have an thoughts about my cars running symptoms? Car has just under 100K miles. Interior is beautiful and has a Nardi steering wheel which tells me at least one of the 2 previous owners cared about the car.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

suspects:

Coil,

Fuel pump

bad ignition switch

all easy to replace.

Download the Series 3 Service Manual sections right here , located in the HOW TO quick links

The following users liked this post:
Nanonevol (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks! I'll try diagnosing those.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanonevol
Later in the day, changed the fuel filter and got it started again but not at all sure I cured the problem. Time will tell.

Intermittent faults are tough to nail down. Ideally it'll conk out entirely and not restart at all. That'll make isolating the problem easier.

Jose's suggestion are good ones. If it comes down to guesswork those are fair bets....but it can get costly. Hopefully the problem can be narrowed down

Lots of connections to clean up and other things not working (headlights, heat fan, gas gauge) but other than that does anyone have an thoughts about my cars running symptoms?

Yes, clean every connection and ground that you can find. Lots of problems are solved that way.

For the stalling problem pay particular attention the the wiring and connectors at the coil, the coolant temp sensor...and the white/black wire running aft along the water rail from the coil "-" post.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Nanonevol (12-06-2017)