Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb on the loose!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb on the loose!

Hi All.
I have had a bit of a whacky idea today and so did some 'googling' and found this site; so here goes...

For some time I have loved the XJC and as much as I would love an XJC with the 5.3 V12 they are few and far between in the UK in RHD form. My next idea is to get 'any old' XJC but try and modernise it by raiding the Jag parts bins. You can get hold of XJC's that need some TLC for as little as £5,000.

What I would like to do is stick in something like an AJ34S (4.2 S/C V8) into it and also try and use the electrics to give the other refinements that some with a modern Jag like electric / heated seats etc etc.

Before I start getting too headstrong and making crazy purchases, is this something that is possible (I guess anything is possible, but can it be done without me having to re-mortgage my house!).

I love the idea of modernising older cars, but would never touch the 'holy grail' V12! I was looking to do something similar with a MK1 Golf GTi by sticking a 20vt or G60 lump in but they are fetching very strong money now which means its not really financially viable now.

Any advise welcome.

Cheers,
Mat

Old 02-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Welcome aboard, mat.

Over the years we've seen a number of new engine/old car transplants although I'm not sure about the one you specifically have in mind. Very broadly speaking it seems that the mechanical aspect....actually getting the modern drivetrain installed in the car....is the least of the problems if you're a decent metal fabricator. 'Tis working out the electrical architecture of the powertrain management systems that frustrates.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello, Mat,
Welcome to our playroom, from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Any transplant in this country would seriously devalue the car, and they are too rare and beautiful to sin against.
I would rather it be done on a series ! 4 door.

Having said that, I have a hankering to put XJR running gear into a Daimler 420 or the limo. Frighten the Bentley guys!
Just looking for some premises to work out of is a real pain in London.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The key is just do it. It will take time and money but you don't have to rush it. Some people take years for their project to finish.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

It is relatively "simple" and well documented to put AJ6 or AJ16, even AJ16 S/C into S1, S2, S3 cars, which of course includes the coupes. As Doug said, the electrics are often the hardest part, and there it helps to move more from the modern car. There was a very nice AJ6 into a Series I thread here where the poster took the speedo from the XJ40 AJ6 donor, and fitted it into the original Series I speedo "hole" Obviously this worked perfectly and looked very good too. He also took both the engine ECU and the trans ECU which made the wiring a lot simpler.

I am not aware of anyone trying to put the Jag V8 in..... although of course there are multiple Lump V8 conversions available.

For me (and this is purely me, and I am probably biased and emotionally involved because we are currently bringing an XJ12C back to life) I highly value an original car, especially the V12. I would kind of warm to a modernized AJ6 or AJ16, but only if the original engine was dead. And after that I wouldn't buy a coupe with anything else in it, simply due to their rarity. You can argue that if the car is dead, then putting any engine into it is better than nothing, but if thats your argument, then you could and should either find another correct engine for it (There are plenty out there in ratty 4 door cars) or modify it with the same genetics, ie AJ16. But again, just my $0.02

Last edited by Sarc; 02-19-2016 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-20-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses and warm welcome.

Maybe the XJC now falls into the same bracket the MK1 Golf is very quickly being put into? Although I do love what I like to call 'OEM+' I guess there are some cars that should be left 'as is'.

I always think that modernising an older car using modern parts from the same manufacturer, when done right, can be really nice and can give that car a new lease of life and make it a genuine daily driver again. I am a stickler for picking parts from the same manufacturer though!

When I was a kid my old man had a Daimler Double Six Saloon which made him look a bit like 'Arfur Daily' but from then I always loved the late 70s early 80s Jags.