XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start Problem

I had a battery draining problem that I finally got corrected, but know I have a no start problem.

The car will not start cold - I can get it started using a battery pack, and it will start if shut off once warmed up, but once it becomes cold again it won't start with using a battery charging pack.

The battery in the car is fine -I'm puzzled. Any suggestions?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Sounds like you need a new battery to me...has it been tested? Or....maybe just poor battery connections and/or main ground

Next time this happens try this:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/nocrank.htm

Cheers
DD

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM

yeah the battery has been charged and tested. I just don't understand why it will start fine once the car is warm, but won't start cold without a battery charging pack.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Temperature related problems could be related to the Coolant Temp Sensor or the Cold Start Injector. Check these two areas. Figure out if the CSI is injecting fuel when cold. Determine if the CTS is providing the proper resistance at cold temperatures.

As for the battery pack, it sounds like the cranking voltage drops too low when cold, a sign of a worn out battery as Doug said. Temperature affects battery capacity. Use a voltmeter to monitor battery voltage when cranking cold versus warm. If the battery is fully charged, and the voltage drops below 9.6V at any time during cranking, the battery capacity is too low for dependable starting, and needs to be replaced.

Other tests you can do, have the battery checked at Wal-Mart or a parts store with their hand held tester. They are pretty good at detecting bad/marginal batteries. Free and easy step to take, but I am not sure if it will be useful to test the battery once it is warm. I say do this anyway though.

Finally, check battery cable connections for good clean contact surfaces everywhere they connect.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Does the engine turn over on the starter normally, or is it a bit reluctant to do so ? The starter motors do not last forever, and can get a bit reluctant to turn the engine over when cold.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks guys - I had a mechanic look at it again and he thinks its the ignition control module, but i just replaced it a month ago. It taking a lot of voltage to get it started, but as stated before once warm it run fine and starts once its shut off as long as it is warm.

Does any one think it could be ignition control module again? Any other suggestions?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by the5beers
Thanks guys - I had a mechanic look at it again and he thinks its the ignition control module, but i just replaced it a month ago. It taking a lot of voltage to get it started, but as stated before once warm it run fine and starts once its shut off as long as it is warm.

Does any one think it could be ignition control module again? Any other suggestions?

Let's clarify that we're all on the same page....

Needing a booster pack when cold suggests a weak battey causing a "no crank" or "slow crank" condition which prevents the car engine from starting. Is that the symptom---weak or no cranking? In other words the starter won't turn the engine so that it can start?

If so, an ignition module won't do anything to help. I has nothing to do with the starter motor or cranking end of things.

Cheers
DD