XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOOO my paint is peeling? how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NOOO my paint is peeling? how to fix?

sad times when i noticed my bonnet paint has peeled off.

It has been resprayed a few years ago and previous owner buffed the car to much and a few places like the doors etc you can see where the new paint has worn down to the old paint but its blended in so hard to notice but the bonnet yesterday i noticed it was doing the same but instead of it blending the top coat has just peeled off leaving it very noticable and not sure what to do.

I buffed it with a cut cream to try and blended the uneven surfaces together but it didnt work just peeled more off and made it bigger but then today i went out to check and more peeled off like alot more it started peeling which im assuming was because i buffed it and made the top coat to thin and it peeled after the rain.

here is a picture what it was after i buffed it but its abit bigger now seen it peeled abit more today. im not sure what i can do.

I dont really have money to get the bonnet all resprayed was hoping there was another fix? but want this fixed as it makes the car not look good

Also when getting a full car respray do they fix the little imperfections in the paint like a few stone chips and tiny rust bubbles starting to come through, would all that be done with the respray? was thinking about in future getting a whole respray but want the stone chips done as well as the tiny surface rust coming through in places

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attached Thumbnails NOOO my paint is peeling? how to fix?-dsc02521bp.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 AM

here is what it looks like now bit hard to tell because its raining but you get the picture,

I was thinking could i wet sand with fine grit paper to get rid of the uneven surface then buff it shiny again? or would that not work or cause more peeling like when i first buffed it.

Attached Thumbnails NOOO my paint is peeling? how to fix?-dsc02522.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

If it's a Series 3 then it will have been painted with TPA paint (Thermoplastic Acrylic), which was a total disaster from start to finish. (one of many with Jaguar at the time !). The only way to repaint and for the new finish to last is to strip off the TPA and get back to bare metal. It looks like the previoius owner just had a quicky respray, and this is the result.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM

its a series 2 but thanks for that

Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Probably caused by lack of sanding on the original paint to key the new paint. Also can't see any primer, which would have helped adhesion.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM

grr went out this morning to look more and it is still peeling off, i just scratch the peeling stuff off so its not sticking up.

Is there anyway i can fix it from peeling and get rid of that uneven surface? I was thinking could I wet sand with fine grit paper to even the surface then polish it lightly to bring back the shine so its not sanded looking. As I don't really have money for a bonnet respray
not sure if that will work though don't want to damage it more than i already have as it wasnt half as bad before i tryed buffing it even it just made more peel

Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 PM

This is how it looks today after i scratched the flaking stuff off . . i tried to sand with 1200 grit wet sand paper but didnt really seem to work just made it bigger lol it keeps faking off not sanding down smooth.

so not happy it was only a little flaking bit tried to fix but made it worse =[ i best not wake up tomorrow to find it has flaked more

Attached Thumbnails NOOO my paint is peeling? how to fix?-img0324ns.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 AM

Unfortunately I can't think of anything that would work other than a full, bonnet at least, respray. Looks more and more like a cheap blowover with little preparation. is it two stage i.e base colour coat and lacquer? and is it the lacquer that's peeling off? If so be careful of sanding through the colour coat.

You could try to get can of matching paint ( or clear lacquer if applicable) and paint the area, but it will probably make it worse, react etc.

Best thing is maybe to live with it until you can afford to get the bonnet/ car resprayed.

Last edited by anjum; 05-04-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 AM

so sad and nah it hasn't got a clear/lacquer coat its just silver so not sure what it is, all I know is acrylic paint with clear coat and enamel but its not any of them two paints lol just a thin silver type paint have sent a picture to a local car painters and hoping he can give me a decent quote on respray on the bonnet.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The mantra in all kinds of painting is "preparation". If any was done here, it was poor.
Sanding is the only way to fix it in preparation for a repaint. Buffing as you have seen will only remove more poorly bonded paint. Just mebbe, but highly unlikely, the exposed paint looks better and will polish up better than the top coat on it now. So, if you get it all off, polishing and buffing just might produce a better looking bonnet than now.

Trouble is that good paint is expensive. So, a respray deserves proper preparation.
The way might just be to do all the preparation and hire a skilled painter to apply the liquid gold.

Now, if that is an original jaguar color, you just might find a used bonnet in that color with enough proper paint to buff and polish to an acceptable level.

Some years ago, my son resprayed the hood of a 240Z in it's original orange after making repairs. It turned out just fine. But, in view of CA's strict environmental law, completely illegal now!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default My SII is peeling off the poorly prepared paint too

It looks like you have the unfortunate chance of the rest of the car peeling
as well...happened to my "rust bucket SII".

PO did a quick respray to cover the sins and now it is too far gone to save.

The '72 S1 car is in the body shop now for a total color change with all the
original lacquer paint (that is cracked severely) being sanded down to bare metal. It will look good and last for many years with the proper prep.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-04-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added cracked severely
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Some may disagree with me, but I have prepped parts for paint and not reduced the whole thing entirely down to bare metal. I think properly applied paint, even if it is older,can be a good foundation for a new coat of primer + paint.

Don't get me wrong - there are spots you will want to take down to bare metal, such as those with rust damage and questionable paint. However, there are other areas that probably do not need to go down to bare metal. This can save you a substantial amount of time.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

bottom line , you get what you pay for!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by FastKat
Some may disagree with me, but I have prepped parts for paint and not reduced the whole thing entirely down to bare metal. I think properly applied paint, even if it is older,can be a good foundation for a new coat of primer + paint.

Don't get me wrong - there are spots you will want to take down to bare metal, such as those with rust damage and questionable paint. However, there are other areas that probably do not need to go down to bare metal. This can save you a substantial amount of time.
I tend to agree, especially if the body is galvanised, provided the original paint is very sound. But it's still imortant to sand to give the new paint a good key.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

It sounds like your previous owner had what the trade calls a "quick blowover". These were once quite common to doll a car up prior to a quick sale, However nowadays original car paint finishes are much more durable, so by the time painting is needed the car is worth virtually nothing, so the various "quickie paint job" shops have died out here in the UK; the cost is not worth it against the value of the car.

I once had one done on an Austin 1100 in the 70s for about £40. Actually it wasn't done too badly !!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

personally ide just carefully rub a plenty of good quality polish over the whole area (dont know if you have turtlewax over there?) to keep the moisture out. if you keep it up to it the wax might protect it for a while, but at least it will preserve it. if you can avoid it dont leave the car out in frosts because ive found this is what does half the damage to paints.

just my two cents

Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM

yeah the paint is semi good underneath im just debating on how much of the top coat i should take off because not sure if all the under paint is good or just that patch. The respray was done in 97 i think and he also kept it garaged it whole life and i haven't got a garage so when i brought it its just been parked in the weather for 2months which has caused lots of cosmetic problems for me trying to find a house with a garage to move into though.

so much little bits of surface rust is popping through now its been out in the rain also the paint has gone downhill and the windscreen leaks a little bit so passenger side floor carpet is always soaking and starting to surface rust under there but i clean the water out daily and air it out when i can, if i cover it then its so hard to uncover when i use as its my daily driver so can't really cover it from the rain. today no more has peeled off which is good but it is so noticeable in sunlight. fingers crossed it will only be $100-$200 to get it properly fixed i get a quote on monday. When i have a house with a garage ill get a proper paint done on it and get the surface rust delt to, pointless saving to do it now if it'l still sit in the rain.

All these things make me want to sell it because affording its upkeep is abit much but i love it heaps it looked mint when i first got it just need it back to that and kept in a garage so it wont get worse