XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Topic: Computer In Triage

Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,927 Likes on 5,280 Posts
Default Off Topic: Computer In Triage

I'll be scarce for another few days while I fix my computer.

Something started making very rude noises last week so I took the top off to catch it in the act. When the Rude Noise returned it was plain the power supply fan was giving me Fair Warning if its imminent demise and I had better save my work and shut down NOW before the smoke got out (it costs a Lot of money to put the smoke back in)!

I'm a bit surprised too because I only built it in February 2012! It's true that it's running anytime I'm home unless I'm sleeping but still! It should be as trouble free as the last computer I wore out!

So anyway, for the duration (probably a week until a new fan arrives) I'm reduced to using husband's computer and it's Very inconvenient!

You know how it is when you have to use someone else's computer; nothing is in the right place, the keyboard is different, the mouse doesn't work the same, etc. He uses a different browser and even a different OS. But the worst part is I can't unload my camera or make a relevant post of what I'm doing on Nix!!

So I'll see you all guys later.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Bugga,

Yep, ya gotta watch that smoke, big $$ if it gets loose.

LnrB (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If the smoke gets out of your computer, you'll need this.

Name:  Smokekit2_zps67e46c7a.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  22.3 KB

LnrB (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DneprDave
If the smoke gets out of your computer, you'll need this.
Thank you, Dave, but there's not a single Lucas component in that machine!
(';')

Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Elinor:

Have faith. If you have a smallish house fan, just point it at the open case and run it sans the noisy inside fan. Most of the little computer fans are a bit puny.

If you were close by, I'd give you the spare in my junk bin. I've been saving it to install as a boot fume exhaust. But, the liklihood of that is in the far future.

I also save a larger one from a defunct micro wave. Might use that instead, mebee...

IE has been acting up. and, I've heard loud n oises here as well. I think it is the hard drive. Not a good sighn, huh

Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

JF went away???

IE goes blank page. I stumbled on a restore twice now, via task manager, I think?

I've newer Dell, but it is on XP and IE disappeared??? Very quirky as well. tons of popups make t's use almost hopeless.

My ancient little lap top lost IE as well. But, the XP is OK. and, in spite orf minimal battery life, can do, as a back up.

Jaguar cranks, fires and runs!!! Fuse contacts!!!

Odd, though as it also runs in the accessory position, sans instruments???

No Lucas smoke again, yet. It did just before it came home on a flat bed. In the midst of a rare rain storm!!!

Carl

Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl, but the power supply has to be removed from the box to change the fan. To remove it from the box it has to be disconnected from the motherboard and all the other components; hard drive, disc burner/player, you know, all the stuff that makes a tin box a Computer.

So at this moment the whole thing is in a state of disassembly on the dining room floor (along with Nix's console parts) awaiting the arrival of a replacement fan.

Husband has a Vicious Penguin (Linux of some sort) running his computer and uses Pale Moon browser. It's better than Konquorer but it's just not my computer!

They say the fan will be here next week.

We didn't get enough rain to even settle the dust! Our well may be in danger if this continues. It'll probably continue as long as that Huge high pressure area is sitting off the coast.
(';')

Old 04-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
JF went away???

IE goes blank page. I stumbled on a restore twice now, via task manager, I think?

I've newer Dell, but it is on XP and IE disappeared??? Very quirky as well. tons of popups make t's use almost hopeless.

My ancient little lap top lost IE as well. But, the XP is OK. and, in spite orf minimal battery life, can do, as a back up.

Jaguar cranks, fires and runs!!! Fuse contacts!!!

Odd, though as it also runs in the accessory position, sans instruments???

No Lucas smoke again, yet. It did just before it came home on a flat bed. In the midst of a rare rain storm!!!

Carl
Dowmload malwarebytes free version (if you can't access the internet on your pc then use your laptop and save it to a usb stick and install the program to the pc)

Once you've installed it run it and when it's finished scanning and finding all the malware, delete or quarantine them all.

Run it again in safemode to get rid of any other sneaky ones.

Install it on both pc and laptop and keep it updated and run it regularly.

Should solve your problems.

I won't give any advice to you on the jag as you know about it far better than me!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Anjum:

Thanks. I became aware of Malwarebyte some time ago, but, I also learned that there are more than one version. One free, but limited. One much better, but for a price.

But, very bad, some were malware disguised as the real thing.
So, I've not risked it fearing not getting the Id correct.

I do run McAfee. All the virus proteciton programs are usually behind the time, but son says McAfee is the most laggard?

Elinor:

Yeah, they are all stacked in in an interlock style. It would be too easy to have a rack of modules, each simple to remove and replace. Sorta like fuse blocks or printer cartridges.

Way back when TV's were repaired rather than tossed, a savvy tech guy came to check out our dark Zenith. he bemused the day when TV's could be fixed by changing tubes or later modules. but, ours was too "advanced" for that. bye, bye baby. His shop also sold TV's!!! He gave us a deal. although a bit cynical, I decided he was OK as his store had been there for a very long time. Gone now in a rebuild of the nearby town.

Or, the days, when the TV went dasrk, I'd pull all the tubes and go down to the old drugstore. A neat machine to test them and drawers below with replacement tubes. the old glass tubes!!!

Alas, it is gone as well. Building extensively remodeled and is now a micro brewery.

I've never heard of those names! Always a different way, Vive la diference, or something like that.

Carl

Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I downloaded Malwarebytes from Cnet's Download.com. Everything is checked for malware at that site.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Download the free one. This is the original developers site https://www.malwarebytes.org/. The malware detection is the same AFAIK just a few add-ons with the full version.

Antivirus programs are not enough. Used antivirus and malwarebytes for years now. Got ne out of a few messes.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'll give it a run. first on the least used machine, lest I mess up. I am good at that.

Carl

Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Default A Good Rain - Finally!

Over the past couple days we've had (are you ready for this?) 1.35 Inches of rain!! And there are NO puddles Anywhere except for my pond! That's the Most rain we've had in Months! There's even a skiff of snow in the mountains!

It's too wet to work so I've had some serious Car Time in the garage. It continues today.

Maybe my replacement computer fan will arrive before I forget what all those pictures on my camera relate to.
(';')

Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

The rain the other day was decent here. Yesterday's was almost non-existant here.

But, still chilly, even in the garage. But, later, I may finish the fuse checking on the driver side underscuttle. It is wide open. Ramp or not ramp? Memories of the last ramp fiasco haunt me. Needless, if I do it right this time. Chock the back wheel/s !!!!

But, worse memories. TAX return filing time!!!

Carl

Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

Taxes are husband's department, Carl. I just do my work and give him the paperwork and he takes care of the Gummint. It's part of our Division of Labor Agreement, and one of the things I'm Sure I come out ahead on.
(';')

Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Default Parts Arrived!

The new fan (and a spare 'just in case') arrived yesterday. However, it won't be until Saturday that I get to work on the computer, because, after this rain I'll be playing catch-up today.

Saturday is the beginning of Irrigation Season and I'm more or less forced to stay in and watch the water run -- Dang!
(';')

Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

Is that like watching grass grow? Around here, that may be a thing of the past, grass, that is.

Tis always been an amazement to me, that the hills around here are so green in winter, and so brown in summer??? Now, my yards have taken on that cycle.

EBMUD, our water company, a weird outfit to say the least, sent a rep to change my meter. No advance notice ! he did knock and tell me about no water for a little while. Never told me when he was done. They are investing in a newer version of meter, but not wiling to go the "Smart Meter" route as has the electric and gas company.

Oh, irrigation, slick. Zanjero or in your case is it Zanjera?

In the early 60's we rented a house in Phoenix, AZ. Lush lawn. a real work out to mow it. Spindly two cycle thing. It was irrigated from a ditch along the rear of the lot.

In 55, our first house in El Paso, a cracker box, had a ditch along the rear boundary for irrigation. Nope, no access, we didn't get the water rights!!! Probably not the
mineral or oil rights either.

Way back when, I considered a well. Regret, that I didn't do it, then.

Carl

Old 04-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Carl, irrigation here is from a buried 36 inch pipe across the high side of the property. Husband bought this acre (some time before I was in the picture) because it was the highest of the bunch (little chance of flooding) and because it came with a share in the irrigation district.

He hung onto the share but never signed up for water until 2007 when I thought it would be fun to play Irrigator every couple weeks. The season has been a little short some years but they've never run out of water completely -- Yet. The storm this week dropped several feet of show in our watershed and there are great hopes of a long and green season.

I have my own computer back too!! And Boy Howdy is this new fan Quiet!

Everything is in its place and works as it should. Although I do appreciate husband letting me use his computer, I don't fit his chair, his monitor is the wrong resolution, his keyboard is different and his mouse is set up for lefties. But the worst thing was I didn't have access to my hard drive with all my stuff!
(';')

Old 04-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that you are now comfortable in your world.

My daughter was fussing that her Mac pooped out. Not backed up, either. And, she has a lot of stuff on hers. And that the disk drive is shut closed. No more crowing about MAC superiority!!

So, I got her a flash drive. If she could get a boot, to back up to the flash drive.
Well, although the card says the unit, flat and shaped like a key, is Os 9 compatible, she says it doesn't fit her USB port? .

I have it plugged in to this unit. Neat, 8 gigs added store. I do have another back up, visa McAfee. But, I've backed up to the "key". I wonder if I could use it on an XP machine, this one is windows.

I don't mess with monitor resolution!! Same with the TV, it has a lot of stuff to mess with, that I merely ignore. I just live with the default settings.

Our water district isn't the property of share holders. it is a kingdom to itself. It's director gets far more money than the governor!!!!! We can vote, but it takes 50% of all customers to over ride a board edict. How, in h... is anyone going to get that many to vote???

They have meetings to discuss a rule. Shoot, it is already predecided, the meet, merely as it is required!!

Apologies for the hijack to rant.

Carl