Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Please....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Opinions Please....

Repost from General Tech:

OK, I know they are like noses, everyone has one..
Here's my situation:
First off, I am new to the world of Jags (British cars, etc) but have suddenly felt very comfortable within this world. I am NOT new to vehicle mechanics, fab work, etc. I am switching from extreme 4x4 (the stuff you see on Discovery) back to my overall love of things automotive and have focused on classic British and vintage racing, topics I've been eying for a while now and have had a keen interest in (but not any involvement in) since I was much younger. I have had some experience with Land Rovers, both driving and working on them.

I was given a 77 XJ6L. Only 52,000 miles. However, it sat for about 12 years and was last started about 5 years ago. It still turns fairly easily (haven't yet attempted to fire it, was waiting to get keys from the old gent who gave it to me.. still have not rec'd them and I get that feeling I won't.. hence the thread asking about getting past the steering lock, etc).
Of course, it has rust. Literally NO floor boards left, from toe board all the way back to under the rear seat. Both lower rear wings (the section under the bumper, not the front sections); right front wing; all sills, L&R, inner/outer; front and rear valances. Back seat will need rebuild/reupholster, headlight sockets have minor rust. Jacking points are on their way out. One rear radius arm mount is showing signs of giving way as well. HOWEVER... EVERY part that is rusted is available for purchase new through several sources and would total just about a grand. The interior will need new carpets, headliner, dash pad/cover, the clear coat reapplied to wood dash (wood is in great shape though) and the rear seat as listed.
After that, its mostly just cosmetic stuff. It rolls very easily, even the grease is still in good shape at all points that I have seen so far.

Part 2:
I can pick up an 87 XJ6 with minimal rust, sun roof, absolutely beautiful interior. The only rust is on the valances. The bonnet is dented, but the hood on the 77 is in pretty darn good shape. I see that Series 1,2,3 have the same part number for their bonnets.
No motor. $300-400.

The only opinion I have so far is that the Series 2 is pretty worthless. In great (near concourse) shape maybe worth 5-6 thousand. The 87, on the other hand, is the last of the Series cars and is currently and will continue to be a much better value than the 77.
My original thought was to simply pull the dual carbed lump from the Series 2 and install in the Series 3. I have the abilities and the facilities to do so with relative ease.
I have been told by the same person that doing that is ludicrous. I should just toss (or possibly part) the 77 and find an 87 motor for the 87 or do the bowtie swap (I do not want to mar the Jag brand with a Chevy lump).

What I want:
A project that I can enjoy and turn into a nice driver that I can take to various Jag and British car events. I really love the lines of the earlier XJs. The square headlight versions simply loose it all in my opinion. A vehicle that I may actually be able to sell at some point and put some $$ in my pocket. Not investment level money, but even a grand over initial project outlay would make me smile. I end up attached to my cars usually though, so that might not happen. (I currently own three Toyotas. An 05 Yamaha sourced Corolla XRS, 200HP, 9K rpm redline, 6 spd, TRD suspension.. all from the factory. An 87 4Runner with 350,000 miles on her and a 98 Land Cruiser with 260,000 miles.)

With all that, let me hear it. Am I a glutton for punishment? Am I simply stupid or crazy?
Take the interior from the 87 and swap into 77 after all welding etc is done.. or simply swap the 77 lump into the 87.. or part out the 77/junk it and find an 87 engine to drop into the Series 3...?

Although it was the fact that I was given the XJ6L that brought me into the Jag world, I feel a distinct desire to stay with the Jaguar marque even if I end up actually doing nothing with the original car that brought me here.

Thank you all very much in advance for any and all flogging...

Talk soon,

Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

David,

you can get a running Seroes 3 XJ-6 for around $2,500., not perfect, but running. Depends on where you live, but here in Florida, I've seen a few decent XJ-6 selling like that.

Motorcars Ltd. in Texas, a Jaguar-Land Rover vendor, sells used 4.2 engines for
$300. the last I heard. Call their Salvage Dept.

you can start selling parts from the 1977 Series 2 to help with the 1987 or any other car you decide to buy. The 1977 being rusted through, is not worth the trouble as you describe it, but consider it good for many parts. You can advertise the parts for free in the British Car Forum, Jag Lovers Forum, and even here.

Jose

Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I to would concentrate on the 87 as it sounds like less of a nightmare to deal with. From my searching it seems a decent used motor really isn't that expensive to pick up for the 87.

I generally don't mind mechanical work and interior work but dealing with huge sections of rust i.e. missing floor boards on a car is more than I care to deal with unless it's an exceptionally rare model of a vehicle.