Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orientation of the LH fuel sender in a S3

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Orientation of the LH fuel sender in a S3

Today I purchased a new fuel sender for my S3 tanks installed in my S1.

The older sender was a very used one from a Sovereign that was scrapped and it never showed a full tank - only 1/2 tank. There is about 1/2 tank on that side right now per the odometer...

Today I purchased a new LH fuel sender but it will install two ways due to the notches in the tank and the two lugs on the sender.

Is it supposed to be with the ground lug on the left hand side or right hand side? It reads the correct ohms out of the car for empty and fuel but installed I get nothing on gauge that was working with the old sender??? HELP???

Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Default Got it figured out!

Round plastic covered wire goes on the bottom left side.. then the sender fits properly.

It is so much different orientation from the old S1 tanks fuel sender and its location and wiring hookup.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is doing the same. It's problem I think is the float is hitting the side of tank and not floating. Am getting my old sender back to check shape of wire

Old 02-24-2016, 02:00 AM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Just as another bit of info... The RH one in my series 3 has the ground spade on the left hand side, on the boot side. Just in case that was useful haha

Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Sender

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum (and Daimler coupe ownership for that matter) but have already learnt much from reading some of the threads. So I'm hoping someone can help me with this.....I've checked that the actual fuel gauge itself works but on the LH fuel tank I only get a reading just off empty with a full tank of fuel. The resistance across the sender is approx. 220 ohms when full. It's been installed as shown in the attached photo (viewed from the wheel arch) and as you can see it's almost new. I've checked and between terminals is open circuit except between the middle and top terminal (220 ohms).
I'm guessing maybe the sender has been installed in the wrong orientation? Could someone please confirm my suspicion before I go to the extent of draining?
Many thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Orientation of the LH fuel sender in a S3-senderlhs.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

"Round plastic covered wire goes on the bottom left side.. then the sender fits properly."

You do not say what year your Jag is, but must be S1 for the wheel well opening for the sender? My post was about S3 tanks in a S1 as replacements. The parts book show the S1 tank sender being on the upper RH side?

Your picture is poor (but the outer locking is not on yet?), but the actual rod in the sender may be allowing the float to hit the sides of the tank causing bad readings. I ended up putting a string on the float end and being able to pull it up and let it down from the filler neck.. finally found the correct position for a proper reading.. very accurate at empty is the best choice!

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-11-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Hi Roger,
Many thanks for the reply. My car is a 1974 Daimler coupe. I shall certainly check the missing lock ring, which sounds potentially dangerous. Maybe the sender will need to come out to check for free movement, I shouldn't have filled the tank up!

Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have added a photo of the SII/Daimler sender with the lock ring... the SII also has the fuel sender hole in the rear wheel well!It is part number ARA1501/J but you must have one or you would not be able to fill the tank.. the photo you supplied does not show it =well.?

Attached Thumbnails Orientation of the LH fuel sender in a S3-s2-fuel-sender.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Roger, will get back inside the wheel arch and check with the assistance of your diagram which you've kindly posted - again thank you! As you say (and I can imagine) without it the tank would probably leak.

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (05-11-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Finally had the chance to run the tank dry at the weekend with a great long drive. With the fuel below the sender body I disconnected the wires and released the sender from the tank.
Checking the resistance over the arc of its movement took it from 220 ohms to just under 20 ohms. With this established, and the fact that it looks new it looks there may have been something else amiss. Looking inside the tank maybe it could have become stuck on the pipes inside the tank. So not having found anything else obviously wrong I've re-inserted and will partially fill the tank again.....Fingers crossed!

Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Gizze

You must have a slightly bend rod with the float... it must be hitting something and cannot rise... I assume that you had the locking ring installed? The ohms are correct...

I had to tie a string onto the float arm once and run it to the filler hole so I could pull the arm up and observe the gauge change and see/hear the arm hitting..

Old 05-16-2017, 02:02 AM

Hi Roger,
Yes I can only think at this point that the pipes were stopping it rising. Attaching the string is a great idea - thank you. I may do that rather than filling the tank with some petrol. Appreciate your feedback.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Success.
Fuel sender is now working and the fuel sender re-installed with no leaks.
A big thank you Roger!

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (05-22-2017)