Paint job and supplies

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Paint job and supplies

Hi all

Anybody tried these chaps??

1987 Jaguar All Models Colors of Touch Up Paint

Looking to get a little supply for touch ups. The paint is in pretty good condition but i have a speck or two that just annoy the living crap out of me!

Any other suppliers please share!

Thank you!

Old 11-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

www.paintscratch.com

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (11-20-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Chris-
I’ve used them several times, for different cars. Very good quality. For my ‘87 (Nimbus White) the supplied paint was a hair too light, but to be fair in 32 years the color has certainly faded somewhat, and the car was repainted in its early life too. Mainly I’ve used it in the rocker areas where it doesn’t abut more prominent panels and it’s been fine. For a Porsche, their paint was a really minuscule amount too dark—but the same two caveats apply, plus it’s a metallic, which is hard to get exact anyway. But super close and quite usable. Old Bug, perfect match. Newer Honda, same.
All in all, I’d say they’re going to be as good as you can reasonably expect, given the small mix quantity. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.
Best,
Andrew.

PS - You may know, but for others: our ‘87’s are the first and only year Series III XJ6 to have clear-over-base paint (standard for many years now). ‘86 and earlier (don’t know how far back) had a single-stage ‘thermoplastic acrylic’ paint system, which apparently doesn’t play well with c-o-b.

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar
Chris-
I’ve used them several times, for different cars. Very good quality. For my ‘87 (Nimbus White) the supplied paint was a hair too light, but to be fair in 32 years the color has certainly faded somewhat, and the car was repainted in its early life too. Mainly I’ve used it in the rocker areas where it doesn’t abut more prominent panels and it’s been fine. For a Porsche, their paint was a really minuscule amount too dark—but the same two caveats apply, plus it’s a metallic, which is hard to get exact anyway. But super close and quite usable. Old Bug, perfect match. Newer Honda, same.
All in all, I’d say they’re going to be as good as you can reasonably expect, given the small mix quantity. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.
Best,
Andrew.

PS - You may know, but for others: our ‘87’s are the first and only year Series III XJ6 to have clear-over-base paint (standard for many years now). ‘86 and earlier (don’t know how far back) had a single-stage ‘thermoplastic acrylic’ paint system, which apparently doesn’t play well with c-o-b.
Many thanks for the info Tar. Much appreciated.

And i had no idea bout the clear coat etc. Good to know.

I may get some paint and do similar and apply to a less "obvious" location and see what happens. And yes. I am guessing over time the paint has darkened over time.

Will see and post results!

Thanks again!!