Sponsored by:

Parts suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Parts suppliers

Hi folks,
My girl is getting better all the time.
I have sorted a fair bit that wasn't up to scratch and will soon embark on some bigger things.
I am soon going to replace the head gasket as I prefer them to function correctly. I've poked a camera inside and whilst the cylinders look OK, if it's rebuild time, so be it.
Same with the head while it's off.
But to accomplish this, I need a reliable parts supplier.
I'm in Australia, so of course here would be great. But this is not an Australian built vehicle. So if they are overseas, as long as they will ship here, that's OK.
Initially, I'll need all new gaskets from the head gasket out. I'll be polishing the intake and would like to replace the injectors as one is not happy. I'm fine with making new wiring harnesses, which I'll do.
But once the head is off, who knows what I might need? Whatever is fine is fine, but, I'd like to return this girl back to what she used to do. She's 245000 ks old. And I don't know her history, but I'm assuming pretty good because there just isn't all that much wrong.
So. Who can you recommend?
I'd prefer one place where I could get just about anything. But mainly things like valves, pistons, gaskets etc.
At the same time, as in I want to order within the next week, I want to also get new suspension rubbers.
And maybe, meaning yes, replace the sensors in the manifold and rail.....
Thanks for your input nice people

Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Loooong time since I rebuilt a 4.2 ground up.

Parts you mentioned came mainly from JagDaim in Melbourne.

Engine parts, I used Precision via old contacts in the Engine Reconditioning Trade I come from. Hasting rings are my preferred. Vendervell bearings if they are still around.

Head studs, gaskets, seals, etc are all Genuine from the above Melbourne supplier.

Suspension bushes, GENUINE only, from the same suppier.

Last engine, the daughters S2, was balanced by Repco. That made a huge difference. The harmonic balancer was relaminated by Iglio Engineering here in Adelaide, and included in the balance procedure. The original S2 "heavy" flywheel was retained, and the BW65 was upped to a BW66, and rebuilt.

S3 Inlet valves went in the head.

The rest was "standard" engine reconditioning to my standards, and I am a tad fussy.

Efans took care of the cooling with a standard S2 radiator with a new core.

A/C used a compact Sanden compressor, in lieu of the Black Monster.

The diff was 3.31:1 from a spare V12 unit I had under the bench.

A rear sway bar from an XJ-S also went on that car, and the front sway bar was left as made.

I was NOT chasing HP, just smooth, reliable, safe transport for an 18 year olds first car.

That engine now has 200000kms on it, and survived the teenage owners total punishment. That was 12 years ago.

Supercharging, or Turbo, DUNNO, that is a Long Stroke engine, and I doubt any realistic gains will be had, and reliability will certainly suffer.

Any XK engine rebuilt "properly" and set up "properly" is quite ballsie, and reliable. Sadly, people take short cuts, modify too much, and lose the Jaguar magic.

I did the same to the V12's, but they are a tad different.

The following users liked this post:
level 1 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for that. I'll contact them early next week.
Sounds like when you rebuilt yours, the crank, cams, valves etc might have been fine? I know jag used good parts (and still do I hope) so I am assuming that there'll be no nasty surprises. But at least from Melbourne I can have parts here in 3-4 days, provided they have them in stock.
Aside from what's mentioned, did you have to buy any engine internals? And what did you do to the gearbox?
I'm not going to go super or turbo on this girl. I'll get another one to do that.
Cheers

Old 04-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

OK, memory, so be careful.

Oil pump
Oil pump Bronze driven gear
Chains, including the idler bush on the "rabbits ear" connector.
Hydraulic tension, and new blades.
Main bearing tunnels checked, all OK, BUT, the S3 block has been known to have tunnel issues.
Crank plugs pulled and crank fluched out.
Stepped liners fitted.

When you reface the block, ensure the timing cover is in place.

The daughters was a 5 cylinder. Sooooo new valves, cam bearings, valve springs, buckets, stake down kits on both sides. Camshafts were fine, Crankshaft needed a linish only.

Lots of cleaning/scrubbing of oil galleries, and pipe work.

Some report the keyway slots in the crank snout and/or the cone as being damaged. I have been lucky, so check these very carefully. New keys would be smart.

Time is paramount. I usually take 2 weeks, from dissmantle to rebuild, NOT including any external maching that may be needed.

Gearbox, NOTHING. I simply took it and the convertor to that trans shop, and told him to refresh the box, and split and rebuild the convertor.

This car had twin HS8 SU carbies, and I rebuilt them myself.

Exhaust was stock.

NO emission junk at all.

S3 electronic distibutor and amp also fitted.

The above also took place with the S2 4.2 Daimler the wife had, and the 1964 3.4ltr S Type I also had. I only ever "do it once,do it all and properly, and repeat in 20+ years".

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-01-2017 at 04:27 AM.