Default Pic of my car

Pic of my car-micks-photos-185-medium-.jpg

Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 AM
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

like the plates...kittykat.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Looks good ! Can't be many of these Series 1 cars around now. I suppose they last longer in Aus as you don't get salt put on the roads, (at least that is what I assume from looking at the climate in Australia).

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice colour looks really clean. I see what you mean about rust on the front bar. Might be worth getting it re plated. The overiders on these series 1's are one of my favourite features. Post some more pics if you can, interested to see the cloth interior too. Cheers Davo

Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM

Fraser no they dont put salt on the roads if they did there would be an uproar, apart from that you really have to go looking for snow in Australia and doesn't snow in any of the capitol cities. The S1 are getting fewer but occasionally one pops up in pristine condition (not mine) for between 4 and 8k. Rust certainly gets them here as all cars but its a drier climate so maybe they last a bit longer.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

hi,
what do you mean by "front bar"? the front bumper? if yes, why not have it re-chromed at some point? it may be oxidated but it looks to be the original and it looks undamaged.

take care of the mechanical things first, forget the "cosmetic" issues until you have it running good, it starts every day, all issues resolved. Good find and Good luck.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM
MJG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the colour! Nice find. There is a S1 sitting in a back yard near where I live if anyone is interested. I have a pic too. Never hurts to ask if they would part with it.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice looking car. For the front bumper try rubbing it with crunched up kitchen/ tin foil, Will improve it until you can replace or rechrome it.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 AM

The pitting is so great its problematic whether this bar can be reclaimed. Enjoying the work on the blue beauty 36 degrees c today though so I wont be venturing out. 41 tomorrow!!

SG Barratt are a great supplier wish they were round the corner and I could get a special discount....

Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still looking

I have a whole bunch of pics of My Jag, but this is the only one I can find right now. I will upload more when I find the pics..........

Attached Thumbnails Pic of my car-140k4900-3979_dcp.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DrRick
I have a whole bunch of pics of My Jag, but this is the only one I can find right now. I will upload more when I find the pics..........
same color as my '84, Grosvenor Brown (aka Milk Chocolate).

Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 AM

doc rick thats an expensive looking garage....

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM

mickvic; If you are referring to the cars..........yes and no. I bought the Porsche w/bad clutch which I replaced myself. The Ferrari needed a waterpump and clutch, which I replaced. The lift was bought from a friend who owns a dealership and needed to upgrade...............got it cheeeeep. I do have a big tool collection I have been working on since I was a Jag mechanic.......................been collecting tools for 40+years.

Jose: Is the outside color called Grosvenor Brown or Sable. I thought, for all these years that it was Sable color..................maybe the interior is sable.??

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Jose: Is the outside color called Grosvenor Brown or Sable. I thought, for all these years that it was Sable olor..................maybe the interior is sable.??
does your car have a label/sticker that shows the name of the color? if it is "milk chocolate brown", (non-metallic), it's called Grosvenor Brown, not Sable. The sticker would be either on the driver's door jamb or under the hood/bonnet.

if yours is a Vanden Plas model, the interior trim color might be called Sable, otherwise it's called Biscuit.

what year is the car?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM

That's a nice series 3 Dr. Usually not a fan of aftermarket rims on these. But the gold with the brown looks great. Well done.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Default Barrett_Jackson

Ha.
A little story. 5 years ago I was going to take the car to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. It had been accepted at no reserve and was graded #2 unrestored. 2 weeks before I was going to haul it down to AZ, guy calls from BJ and says with those BBS rims I would not get top dollar. So............................

I searched for awhile to find the proper rims and ended up buying a "donor" 1978 with the proper rims. After I got the 2nd car, I decided NOT to sell either one of them. The rims are still on the other car, just haven't gotten around to the transfer.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Ha.
A little story. 5 years ago I was going to take the car to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. It had been accepted at no reserve and was graded #2 unrestored. 2 weeks before I was going to haul it down to AZ, guy calls from BJ and says with those BBS rims I would not get top dollar. So............................I searched for awhile to find the proper rims and ended up buying a "donor" 1978 with the proper rims. After I got the 2nd car, I decided NOT to sell either one of them. The rims are still on the other car, just haven't gotten around to the transfer.
'

just my opinion, but I don't subscribe to car shows, car judging, or car auctions, like The Animals used to sing back in the 1960's, "it's my life and I'll do what I want", except I changed the lyrics a bit to: "it's my car and I do what I want".

what's even worse, most of those car "judges" have never owned the type of car they judge, and many of them can't even change a lightbulb or even a fuse. it's a sham most of the time.

so if you like those wheels, (I think they look fabulous), just keep them on and don't pay attention to anybody who doesn't.

The following users liked this post:
bill70j (09-06-2016)
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM

Any updates on the XJ mickvic. Not a thread highjack but here's the latest pic of mine. Love how she sits on the road with the factory spec 70 series profile tyres

Attached Thumbnails Pic of my car-jagwah_zpsfec23136.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Davo yep does look good. Ive tried big wheels and wide profile tyres on older cars over the years (been into leyland p76's and still am) and I find they increase the unsprung weight too much. This is quite significant in handling and especially ride. For mine, I want a jag to look as the maker intended and the right size wheel and tyre gives the right look. Nothing worse than those big nasty chrome wheels and licorice strip tyres on a older car...looks like a tarted up ***** lol. 70 series and what width did u go, what brand?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mickvic
Davo yep does look good. Ive tried big wheels and wide profile tyres on older cars over the years (been into leyland p76's and still am) and I find they increase the unsprung weight too much. This is quite significant in handling and especially ride. For mine, I want a jag to look as the maker intended and the right size wheel and tyre gives the right look. Nothing worse than those big nasty chrome wheels and licorice strip tyres on a older car...looks like a tarted up ***** lol. 70 series and what width did u go, what brand?
Tyres are Falken 215/70/R15
I got them 2nd hand from the mechanic that did my roadworthy. Only about 10% wear on them. Really look the part.

I read that William Lyons always started with the wheel and tyre size before designing a new chassis. Designed the car from the ground up to get the stance exactly right. Think he succeeded quite well with the XJ.

Quick Reply: Pic of my car