XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

push button ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default push button ignition

is there a way to bypass the ignition switch on these cars to a push button? my ignition switch is broken, and I just cant justify spending the money for a new one. there are 6 (I think) wires on the back of it, and wondering what goes where and which wires would go to the push button. thanks in advance

Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

its possible, like anything, but its probably easier and cheaper to buy a second hand switch.

if you wanted to do it you would need a battery isolation switch and push button that would cost you at least $30 anyway.

if you decide to go ahead im sure we could post the wiring instructions for you.

what is wrong with your switch anyway?

regards jay

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by 82jaguarxj6
is there a way to bypass the ignition switch on these cars to a push button? my ignition switch is broken, and I just cant justify spending the money for a new one. there are 6 (I think) wires on the back of it, and wondering what goes where and which wires would go to the push button. thanks in advance

When you say "push button ignition" do you really mean "push button starter"?

That is, installing a push button to operate the starter? if so, that would be fairly easy.

Or are you trying to convert *all* ignition switch functions to "push button"? That would be a little weird....having push buttons for "on" and "run" functions as well as the "start" functions.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My 1st suggestion would be to contact David Boger at Everydayxj for a NOS or good used unit.

Second, would be to disassemble the one you have and clean all the intetrnal contacts. If nothing mechanical is busted, it should be just fine.

Third. Check all the wires and connectors for continuity. Clean tighten and lube to fix most issues.

Fourth: The ignition switch has three functions primarily.

a. Feed the ignition and crank the engine.

b. Feed the ignition after one has been accomplished. You released the key.

C. Feed the accessories with the engine not running.

As Doug suggests, I suspect a neutral start switch issue rather than the keyed switch.

Yeah, wiring in a toggle or button to crank the engine is basic.

Kind of ignominious, though. Some years ago, I saw a picture of a well worn E OTC Jaguar. Not only had it's engine been replaced with a little Toyota four, but a bell button was screwed into the dash as either a horn button or starter switch!!!!

Some years ago, I built a T speedster to emulate those popular in the late twenties. I did it in about 1958!!! I used four toggle switches as used in WWII aircraft. Cheap and excellent quality. One was spring loaded, the others merely DPDT. it took a certain combination of up and down on the toggles to make ignition, then the loaded switch cranked the engine. Some booger stole my idea for key pads!!!

Carl

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

That would be a little weird....
Totally agree.

Having everything 'live' to an on/off button for ignition/starter circuitry is not ideal.

But as has been said, a push button starter only + key to turn off/activate = doable but generally pointless.

Yes please contact david@everydayxj.com he is a great supporter of this forum and classic jaguar models.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM

ive been trying to find an ignition switch for a while and whenever I do find one they want a crazy amount for it. the switch is fine, it is just missing the screws holding it together and the white plastic deal that slides onto the back of the key tumbler is broken

Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you could buy an inexpensive "universal" ignition switch for $10.00 and figure out some way to mount it under the dash or whatever. If you wanna do that we can tell you how to wire it up.

Or you could use toggle switches for the "on" function and a pushbutton for the "start" function.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM

well ive already got a bunch of toggle switches and push buttons so lets go that route, I appreciate all the help so far guys!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default British auto in Seattle

Have you been to British auto in Seattle yet? Or were they too pricey as you mentioned.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

well ive already got a bunch of toggle switches and push buttons so lets go that route, I appreciate all the help so far guys!

Your existing switch should have the follwing:

Heavy brown wire. This is 12v constant voltage supply
White wire. This goes to the coil, inertia switch, fuel injection, etc
White/pink wire. This goes to your accessories like wipers, radio, etc
White/yellow wire. This goes to the starter relay.

Run the brown wire to one terminal of your toggle switch and one terminal of your push-button switch.

Now take the white and white/pink wires and attach them to the other terminal of the toggle switch. Flip the toggle and you have "ignition"

Take the white/yellow wire and attach it to the other terminal of the push-button switch. Push the button and the starter should spin.

If desired you could use two toggle switches....one to power up the white wire circuits and another to power up the white/pink wire circuits. This would roughly approximate having "Ignition 1" and "ignition 2", as on your regular ignition switch

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
82jaguarxj6 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 12:21 PM

works awesome! thanks so much, another step closer to bringing this old jag back on the road!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by marvin1960
Have you been to British auto in Seattle yet? Or were they too pricey as you mentioned.
I have yet to go up there, I do plan on it this summer and if I can get a deal on a switch ill swap it back over to factory

Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM

one last question, what does the brown wire with the red stripe go to? right now its not connected

Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

one last question, what does the brown wire with the red stripe go to? right now its not connected

Not ringing any bells. Is is a heavier gauge wire, like the main supply wire to the switch ? Is/was it attached to the back of the ignition switch?

Cheers
DD

Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 PM

its smaller than the brown wire and it was attached to the ignition switch. there was the whites and pinks, large brown wire, a smaller brown wire and the brown with red stripe.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member

The ignition switch wires have a block connector that attaches to the main dashboard harness. Does the brown/red wire change colors after the connector? Might be able to figure it out that way.

Or, apply 12v to it and see what if anything comes to life.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-30-2014, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
No problems with with existing key starter switch, but isn't it cool to have a black button starter as in older cars? How do I achieve this?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

In my opinion it's useless... and only fun for a little while.

Concerning 82jaguarxj6, are you gonna install some kind of warning sound when you leave the car but forget to turn of one of your buttons? Dont know how it works on the 86 xj6, but on older cars you will burn the coil if you forget to turn off its feed without running the car. This seems easier to do when you have buttons in stead of a key which you will also need to lock the car.

It also means that anybody can drive away instantly with your car when you leave a door open.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by director1007
Hi
No problems with with existing key starter switch, but isn't it cool to have a black button starter as in older cars? How do I achieve this?

The white/yellow wire from the ignition switch supplies voltage to the starter relay. Cut this wire and run it to one side of your starter button. Now run a wire from a 'key on' voltage source (such as the solid white wire at the switch) the other side of the starter button.

Now everything on your ignition switch remains functional and unchanged except the 'start' function....which has been replaced by your starter button.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes

If you bypass and add a push button to start it will it have to be re coded since key is not used but I still have to hold the key holder to the ignition to start it.

Quick Reply: push button ignition