XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting back my valves (Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Putting back my valves (Newbie)

The engine in my Jaguar XJ6 is worn and needs a complete rebuild. I know for a fact it has done at least 100.000 miles in the past 15 years, probably more but the dial stopped counting. Scratches in cilinder #6 and bent exhaust valve.

I was lucky and got a new engine without head. It was rebuilt but someone messed up the crankshaft bearrings soooo.... I'll fix that engine with parts from my engine and buy some stuff that needs to be replaced so I have a brand new engine.

Right now I have 2 heads. I won't use them because I want a series 3 head. So I'll take what I can from them and store it for future use.

Coming to the point: I was trying to take out valves and put them back with a DIY valve tool. Taking the valves out is pretty easy, putting them back is less easy. The 2 thingy's that hold the top of the spring are very hard to put back. Because I don't want to mess up the new head, that I want to take apart and inspect first, I was wondering what tools everyone here uses? There is many types of valve clamps, but which one fits the XK best?

Also, any special technique?

> Marco

Old 12-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Anybody out there?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Yep.

I will go and snap what I use when the temp cools down, 43c at the moment, and the shed is NOT the place to be.

Drinking time.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Here ya go.

VERY rudimentory, and back in the days when my imagination was much sharper than it is today.

I used what I had laying around, as I still do today.

The first 2 are the remains of a Jaguar V12 engine mount, they do tear like that regularly when ya drive them like I do, which fits inside the combustion chamber just nicely, and I carved it a tad to fit "nicer".

The next 3 are the lever that I made in 1970. I used an old "tube spanner" that was cut to length and opened on the side for finger (it you a bloody braver than me) access to put those collects in place. I use pair of pointy nose pliers, coz my fingers are "special" to me.
The 90deg end piece is to attach to a suitable cam bearing stud nearby, and then adjust the tube spanner as needed to reach the valve you are doing.

I use it for removal and refit, and it really makes the task easy.Works for the V12 HE heads also.

Your arm muscles will be tested, trust me, so maybe a longer bar would have been smarter, but I was younger then, and I dont do this work anymore, so care factor now is zero.

Putting back my valves (Newbie)-ssa42365.jpg

Putting back my valves (Newbie)-ssa42366.jpg

Putting back my valves (Newbie)-ssa42367.jpg

Putting back my valves (Newbie)-ssa42368.jpg

Putting back my valves (Newbie)-ssa42369.jpg

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I did two heads over the years, and was able to buy a valve spring compressor that had a long reach to the valve spring end, looking a bit like the business end of Grant Francis's home-made tool. It was specifically designed for OHC engines where the tool had to reach into the head to get at the valve spring.

It may still be around somewhere in my "stores"

Old 12-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

That is a slick DIY tool.

Way back when, side valve engines were most popular. Valve work n the car was a real "pain....". I think I still have a couple of the plier like devices used to compress the valve spring to acess the collets on he valve stem to be removed or installed, Teweny little split devise to be dealt with in tight confines.

A somewhat popular after market was the two sections coupled by a weak spring resembling a ladies hair pin.

In later HOV engines, S smart smack on socked over the valve collapsed the spring and the retainers fell free.

I wonder if a more modern tool used for OHV engines with a suitable end resembling grant's cut away would provide the leverage and stability to not only remove them,. but to replace them.

In any case, needle nose pliers. Most of us need to keep our fingers....

Added: Perhaps a dab of heavy grease would keep the things in place one located.

And, yeah, under on the valve head. Don't bend 'em.
A chunk of hard wood would probably work.

Flat head Ford V8's were a whole other story. Weird design and devilish when well stuck in place as many were.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (12-20-2015)