Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relay rack snd identification for lumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Default Relay rack snd identification for lumps

I now consider the starter chaos resolved.

I've constructed about three racks to supplant the original one mounting the Jaguar. Each better than the prior, but not quite right.

The latest improved version is bolted in place. Along the top of the VIN flange. Hides the numbers? my plan to under hang it didn't work out.
But, the ground buss extension is now secure. Using a part of a past version.

So far, Elinor's suggestion of blue 3M tape and white ink is working out just dandy. A roll was on my space for tapes on a shelf! A tad shaky for the in place relays, super slick for the replacement TC lockout relay constructed as per Andrew's Jaguar-Specialties simple schematic.

All the hard way as is my wont!!!! but, coming along. Tools all over the place!

And, best, no mess up, yet, it cranks just fine and purrs.

More relays to label and hang. Then swap out the existing TC relay for the new version. That means some under scuttle work.

So far, all will be better than ever.

Carl,

Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

I'm SO glad your closing in on it, Carl!
This had been Quite a session for you, hasn't it. It's good to have good counsel and advice in such matters.

I'm glad I have a relatively simple setup. I wouldn't want to engage the battle you have waged these past months, although, my own battles seem nearly as fierce when I go back and read about them -- And I remember the parts I didn't post!
(';')

Old 07-13-2015, 05:01 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Relays

Carl,.. Have you considered using a small auxiliary fuse box . Easy to find at local JY.

Some of the smaller ones have a bank of fuses and 3...4.. relays - all in one small neat package. Good alternative to hanging relays and wires all over the engine compartment. As you can see I am also trying to keep the wire mess to a minimum.

At the moment, all my relays are on the Jag relay holder, but have been re purposed. Standing in front of the car, I have (GM fuel pump Relay - separate holder) (left to right on Jag holder.. TCC relay, IGN relay, Main relay). I used the white wire from Inertia switch to activate the Main relay which in turn activates everything else once the ignition key is in the Start / Run position.

I have other relays (fog lights) (headlights) (horn) (2 electric fans) but they are in the front near the radiator area.

One Main power (Brown wire) to box and then a few wires to the individual components - all in a nice small ABS box with a cover.

Something to consider..

Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

I'll bet. All battles are fierce? Nuttin just seems to fall into place! and, yes, good counsel as well as encouragement means a whole lot.

Lyyn:

My harness did come with an auxiliary fuse box, actually two ganged together. I have them hung on the passenger side stay rod.

That Jaguar relay rack was sumpin else. Two teeny nuts and bolts almost inaccessible. no wonder the guys working that assembly line got irritated!!!

My first effort was an extension welded on to one side. The an extension to that for the ground bus.

Now, a long folded metal angle with brazed in studs for each relay. But, alas, the ground bus bolted to one side. Sturdier this time, though!!!

ID'd on the rack or about to go on as follows:

Ignition
Start
Fuel pump
AC fan
Fan 1
Fan 2
Torque converter
Air pump.

Getting there, slow and methodical.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Allyn:

Apologies, typo on your name. Clumsy fingers.

CH

Old 07-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

A good feeling and one not so good.

1. took a spin around the block, twice. Got several 'thumbs up: from neighbors and the UPS and UPS guys!!

2. One of the younger generation had the front assembly of his 95 Chev 4x4. Poor kid. curbside. His folk's drive way too steep for any work of consequence.

3. Found a black ground wire adrift in the vicinity of the DD pulse converter. Tied it in. No results. Still speedo non-op, So, trouble shoot it or wire in the jaguar-specialties version.

4. TC lockout leg to brake light switch not yet connected. A semi big deal. No ill effects on cruise around noted. But, speed decidedly slow.

5. Didn't mess up the brake light redo! They still work!!

Temp not so bad, but humidity on the rise, whew?

6. Leaf blower swept out garage, breezeway and drive. Watered porch plans. Tomato plants in a few. Two fruits!!! Healthy plants. Oh, well, green is green.
Among the decoratives, seems OK.

Getting there.

Carl.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default relay holders

Carl,

If you want a simple way to organize the relays, check out the relay "racks" that can be found on mid eighties GM cars (Ciera , Century, Celebrity etc.).

These racks have 5 spaces and also a spot for the Fuel Pump relay on one end.

They give you an easier way to manage and service the relays without going the Xmas tree route with wires running all over the engine compartment.

Why re invent the wheel? Just improvise starting with a central area relay rack.

Much neater end result.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Alyn:

Agree. Were I to do it again, that is what I would do. Actually the transplant kit I got from the recycler included the harness from the donor car. relay rack and all!!!!

Rather than seeking to modify that harness, I chose to buy an expensive custom made one. Not good. Cost me a bunch to resolve.

At that time, my skills were probably not good enough to do that. And, the time element. Long hours as an entrepreneur!!

Well, my rack gets a bit closer. All but one in place in a neat line. And two have four wire connectors. Much better than the single wire to pin connection. I could redo the others. But, I am "quitting while ahead" on that venture. It works !!!!

Under scuttle TC relay leg to brake light switch to go.

Thanks for your invaluable help. And others here as well.

Carl