Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repairing windscreen rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default repairing windscreen rust

hi all,

curiosity got the better of me tonight and i ended up popping the front screen out of the xj6. wasnt hard seeing as the top was all that really held it in. the rest i just pushed out, thats how badly installed the screen was.

so basically the two corners of the screen are totally shoot. about 6 inches up the glass and 8 along. looks easy to repair tho so that part dosnt worry me at all.

what worries me is getting the shapes right on the foot panels and up the pillar on the outside. ill take some pics and show you how its looking.

what im wondering is does anyone know of a company that makes pre formed replacement panels seeing as its a common place for rust on a series 3?

ill update the thread as time goes on and as i repair her with some photos and explanations. im no pro but am pretty persistent and methodical so im happy (enough) to have a crack at this. i have a mig and dollys ect plus an old boilermaker mate who knows it all too well so if i get stuck he is there. tho i have thought about filling the lot with fibreglass bog, that way it wont rust again but im not that much of a hack.....yet lol .

so any tips or tricks from anyone who has done it before, or even has an idea would be appreciated. im figuring ill form all the pannels as close to fitting as possible before i think about cutting it out.

thanks,
regards jay

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

You might try SNG Barratt (SNG Barratt - UK | Jaguar & Daimler classic parts, spares & accessories) as they often have parts on hand to address specific known issues. If not, they may be able to point you in another direction.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

In the past, I've sold rust free chanels that could be cut to fit into the rusted out areas. It may be an option for you to find good replacements in the used parts market.
Typically when I get a car that is in good order, I don't let any good metal go to waste...
Here's an example of one such breakdown:
Anatomy of a Series 3 XJ

One example of rusted/cut away metal was used is here:
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page
The same person wrote in great detail on the forums about his experience cutting and replacing...

Another option if it isn't too bad is to use a product like POR15 in the channels.. They have a fiberglass mat material that can be used to fill any voids, followed by there sealing products...

David Boger
Everyday XJ

Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You could try Martin Robey of Nuneaton, England. They supply body panels and part panels for Jaguars. YOu can download a pdf of the parts catalogue and this also gives pictures and part numbers. As this rusting is so common they may make a repair panel.

They ship worldwide.