XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the fuel pump on an '84 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the fuel pump will be the same as my 85, in the trunk, in the spare tire compartment. Very easy to get to and replace. I'd check with David Boger of: Everydayxj.com. Good prices on used parts. Can't imagine it being anywhere close to your "couple hundred dollar" price quote. If no threads in the archives on this forum, check Jag-Lovers.org, and search their archives, I know they'll be something in the way of advise and instructions. Just look at your fuel pump and you'll see everything that needs changing, fuel lines, and electrical connections.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts
Default Orwell's 1984

hi,

replacing the fuel pump is the typical Piece of Cake once you know WHAT to do, such as depressurizing the fuel system in advance. The Factory Service and Shop Manual is very specific about it with warnings such as "you must depressurize the fuel system anytime you replace fuel system components". The procedure to depressurize is simple, the first time is the slowest because you are reading and tinkering at the same time.

So buy the car and order the Service Shop Manual a week ahead. About $50. delivered in a CD from which you can print what you need and never get it dirty.

But how do you know it is the fuel Pump? it could be something else, the Shop Manual gives you some tests and procedures to make sure.

Before you run and buy a new fuel pump, do one test like this:

1) sit in the car with your right ear turned to the rear seat,

2) place the shifter in 1st gear (1),

3) turn the ignition switch all the way right as if to start/crank the engine,

4) the engine will not crank but you will hear the fuel pump "whirring" with every iginition switch turn. If the pump does whirr, then at least in theory, it is good. there might be some crud on either the in or the out end of the pump, but that is rare. I would replace the Fuel Filter First if that's the case. the Triple F Formula.

here's some places to order the Manual from and compare prices:

http://www.jaggraveyard.com

http://www.lbcarco.com

any Jaguar Dealer or eBay.

Jose