XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration

I thought I should start a new thread about a car I'm considering getting this summer. Its a fixer. Not sure of the year 1985-1987 XJ6. It has 89k miles on it. Its been sitting in a field for a couple of years as the owner had upgraded to an XJ12 and he just didn't want to drive this car anymore.
The body is in great shape, however the clear coat is peeling away exposing the paint.

The leather front seats are in sad shape, as they have been sun baked and moisture has done a number.
I think the front windsheild is leaking.

The wood trim is in sad shape and may just have to be replaced.

The rear brake calipers are off for some reason or other, but they may be in the trunk. The rear of the car is sitting on blocks.

Drive train- Wasn't able to crank it yet, however, the engine oil is clear and the transmission oil is cherry.

The guys son who restores MG's, claims it will crank up and run just fine. Its just his dad lost interest in the car for the xj12.

I want to offer no more than $200.00 for the cat as it needs so much work.
I've been looking at ebay for parts like seats and such, and I think I may be able to get her looking good again for about $3000.00

What do y'all think?

Old 03-26-2010, 04:19 PM

I am somewhat biased, but, if it is a project you are looking for and not as any sort of investment, then I say go for it.

Just about every part on that car is available and not really that expensive. The cheapest route can be summed up in two words; Parts Car! I have seen a ton of Series III cats completely rotted away, but, still sporting clean interiors. There is one in one of my local online flea markets going for $600, runs well, decient mileage, perfect interior, but, not a single body panel is useable! If you have clean metal on yours, you are 70% done already.

My car is a fine example in that it is in almost perfect mechanical condition, but, the northern winters and road salt has taken its toll. My replacement body panels came from New Mexico where the rest of the car wore out first.

Good luck

Tim

Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If you want to do it because you ENJOY a project and the satisfaction of bringing it back to life, then I say "Go for it". I love projects, myself.

From a dollars-and-cents standpoint it makes no sense at all.

Your $3000 will be gobbled up in a heartbeat. If your goal is to make it look and operate the way a Jag really should, I'd allow about three times that much at least.

Years ago I bought an XJS in good running order. I spent, oh, about $500 to catch up on all the routine servicing that had been neglected. Then I spent a $2000 on actual repairs...ball joints, brakes, fuel hoses, radiator cleaning. etc etc Then I spent $1100 on new leather for the front seats. Then I spent $3000 for a paint job. Then I spent $400 on tires. That's $7000 in the first 3 months to make the car right enough to make me happy. I spent much more after that but mostly on non-essentials...so I won't go there.

I loved every minute of it and don't begrudge a single dime of the expense but the fact remains that I could've bought an already "mint" XJS for less money.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 PM

I think I'll be looking at this as a labor of love. I see your point that I can just as easily go out and buy a Jaguar for fairly cheap and get a great car. Thats what we're doing now.
There's something pushing me in this direction of wanting to restore this cat. Can't really explain it really. My wife and kids are amazed that I want to do this, but they said they would support my decision.

As for my mechanical skills....they are "there", just very rusty. At least I have time to ponder this undertaking for a few months before making a final decision.

Thanks Guys

Old 03-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

As has been stated above by others and by yourself, you would only tackle this project because you want to do it, and not for any financial gain. Quite the opposite in fact.

Don't know if you have ever taken on a restoration before now, but there is something deeply satisfying about bringing a machine back to life, and you get the added advantage of acquiring an intimate relationship with every nut and bolt.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open and make sure that you have long term garage space available because it will take a lot longer than you ever imagined if you are going to do the job yourself, working around work and family commitments. I've got the teeshirt for that one, from restoring far simpler old series LandRovers.

If you do go ahead, don't forget to post a whole host of before, during, and in a few years time after pics. (in fact any chance of a pic or two at this stage?)

All the best,
Richard

Last edited by Translator; 03-27-2010 at 05:03 PM.